Rewatch Kimo Leopoldo vs Dan Severn in Pride Fc1

Of course not. It was to showcase what it can do against someone untrained, not one of the baddest men in Brazil trained in everything.
Yep, or someone trained in karate, kickboxing or another striking art with zero grappling knowledge.

Dan Severn is a legend and dude was fighting well into his 50s for years back then. Tearing it up on the regional scene. Massive respect for Dan Severn and those older generation fighters for sure. They paved the way for what we watch today and the UFC thanks them zero.
While I totally agree about respecting Severn, he fought Kimo in 1997 when he was just under 40. Those later fights in his late 40s and 50s were in smaller, regional organizations.

While I totally agree about respecting Severn, he fought Kimo in 1997 when he was just under 40. Those later fights in his late 40s and 50s were in smaller, regional organizations.
i know i said he was tearing it up on the regional scene way past his UFC career, back in the 2006-2010s era. still takes balls, guts, courage, and he wasn't doing that bad considering his age. pretty damn cool IMO.

There is a Podcast, Lytes Out, in which they interviewed Chris Brennan and Todd Medina, both of them knew and trained with Kimo at the time and confirmed it did happen and Fabiano Iha, who was a part of the Gracie team at the time, alluded that it was some sort of issue during UFC 3 with the Gracies and some people. The Gracies would never confirm is anything like this happened because of their pride

Here's the one with Medina. Starts around 3:30 and they talk about it a few minutes. The host actually said Brennan's story was that some other guy did private lessons with Rickson (paid for by Joe Son) and that guy trained Kimo. Medina seems to deny then sort of confirm it. Maybe their memories are hazy...or maybe they still don't want to spill all the beans, lol. I'd think indirect training like that would be tough and probably didn't last long...there wasn't much time between the first few UFCs. But maybe it was enough for Kimo to learn some BJJ basics to add to his wrestling, athleticism and roided-out power.

And a short clip of Brennan.

Gonna watch Carla v Rose 2 to clean my palate after this snoozefest.

Can we talk about a time someone may or may not have left the stove on or anything more interesting that this wet noodle sandwich of a fight?

Dan I think was one of the reasons I stopped watching UFC back in the 90s it was alot of laying on people. Royce was another. I think if Marco had been in the first ones Royce wouldnt have the reputation he does now.

<{hughesimpress}>

Royce is the reason you even watched UFC

You don't sound like you watched the early UFCs; that was the time there was the least LNP up until UFC 11. Most of the matches were fast. There were far fewer long boring fights than there would be later. Out of Royce's 12 UFC fights, 2 were long- they resulted in a finish and a draw; the rest were fast submissions or GNP wins. He defeated Kimo, Shamrock, and Severn by finish; he deserves his place. Ruas was a one-timer in a UFC that had a much weaker group of fighters; maybe he would and maybe he wouldn't beat Gracie; Ruas lost to a worse fighter at Pride 4.

Kimo vs Severn is a weird fight to bring up; that's the kind of fight that makes people not want to watch MMA. There were a whole lot of far more interesting fights in Pride, including the very early days.
Been into martial arts since the 80s and started watching UFC in 94 I think with my cousin as he trained.I watched Don vs Tank live. Also been on here longer than you brother but first signed up in 06 as supra7630 .
Dont think I started watching Pride till years later I missed out
All I remember from the early ones was Royce laying on people. Ruas was in several UFCs and if he had been in the first ones Royce would have got beat.

Back