Kids of BJJ Today and What They Are Not Learning or Maybe They Are?

twocrazypods

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Seems the last few tournaments I went to, seems like all the kids where in a rush to have their butts hit the ground and close guard. Many hitting the mats with no grips except the grip of air because the other person just stepped back is what they are used to. Maybe as one person put it, its the rules, no matter in real self defense the person on top would be raining down hammer fist on the but scooter if a real fight. Then another guys said, well the Miyao Brothers and Mendes brothers have won tons of tournaments doing this. My reply, so why have none of them ever fought in the Open Division to show their skills and techniques will work on those larger or is t just about staying in the comfort zone and really not proving anything? You know the whole point of Jiu Jitsu? One of the parents took exception and thought I was making a slam against their school, which I was not. Seems now days you cant ask a question without someone getting butt hurt for real or imagined. A few weeks back my kids went to a seminar with the Ruotolo Twins. Master Fabio Santo posted against these kids, which I thought was not only unfair but beneath someone of his stature. After all, they are just kids bring joy to other kids that day. Nobody knows who will be the ones on top when kids continue on or new kids enter the art.

I guess my point is, as long as the kids are having fun, then the whole sports tournament style vs learning tournament with real application styles is moot.

My reply, so why have none of them ever fought in the Open Division to show their skills and techniques will work on those larger or is t just about staying in the comfort zone and really not proving anything?

You shouldn't speak if you are really this ignorant. Both pairs have done absolutes. The Miyaos a lot of them. You also shouldn't openly criticize children's tactics at sporting events when they are within the rules

Its no differrnt from adults: it just depends on the school. My kids team mainly only does takedowns, smash passing, and subs from knee on belly/mount. I feel like teaching them that as a base is the way to go, and then the more advanced kids get into other stuff.

I think having a solid base of takedowns and pinning is really important for anyone; if they wanna get into buttscooting and 50/50 and stuff, thats fine,as long as they have a base to fall back on.

Last edited:
The competition kids at our club have some ruthless takedowns.

Its no differrnt from adults: it just depends on the school. My kids team mainly only does takedowns, smash passing, and subs from knee on belly/mount. I feel like teaching them that as a base is the way to go, and then the more advanced kids get into other stuff.

I think having a solid base of takedowns and pinning is really important for anyone; if they wanna get into buttscooting and 50/50 and stuff, thats fine,as long as they have a base to fall back on.
Slow clap...thank you for this, slow clap sir, voice of reason. I salute you.

Kpoz for f12 mvp

This is how my boys(10 & 12)are taught. They also have 5 years of wrestling experience so working for a takedown comes naturally even while doing bjj. In January my boys entered their first bjj tournament(sub only) . All of the major Teams from md, DC, and Virginia were there... Except Lloyd Irvin. Thought that was strange. I was a bit surprised at the number of kids that butt scooted or immediately tried to pull guard. Different schools teach different things I guess. Anyhow, my boys did well. Especially for their first bjj tournament. My young boy placed first in no gi. He lost his second match in the gi to the eventual winner. My older boy didn't fare as well but fought hard. Didn't know it but he had a nasty viral infection that irritated his liver and went to the hospital that night. Spent 4 nights there. He's better now. I was told that they had to weigh in in the gi..... Turns out that wasn't true but it was too late. It Would have put my youngest in a different bracket. Things may have turned out differently. Who knows. Anyhow, they are looking forward to their next competition in April. Sorry for the rant. Proud of my little guys

My youngest on the podium....

Last edited:
Congrats...now just get them Kimoraing lie Kenny Kenmura, and I'll be proud of them, too.

Congrats...now just get them Kimoraing lie Kenny Kenmura, and I'll be proud of them, too.
They are getting there. They have only been at it a year. They don't go as often as I would like them to do because of wrestling practices.

The biggest problem with youth sports is psycho parents. Butt scooting bjj or wrestling, or sports in general at that age can and should benefit kids..

But psycho parents make me hate youth sports lol

EDIT: Not saying it's anyone here, just about youth sports in general

If it is within the rules, why not? There is always judo and wrestling also.

If a little league team practiced nothing but laying down bunts and base running, they could probably win that way, too! It would be lame, but effective.

The biggest problem with youth sports is psycho parents. Butt scooting bjj or wrestling, or sports in general at that age can and should benefit kids..

My kids play multiple sports and have for years.... Out of all the sports they play I think wrestling has some of the worst and best parents. Grappling becomes a very emotional sports for parents, myself included.

I coached high school wrestling for a few years and I still have nightmares about the parents.

My kids play multiple sports and have for years.... Out of all the sports they play I think wrestling has some of the worst and best parents. Grappling becomes a very emotional sports for parents, myself included.
yup, mom's especially. They get before anyone else that their little baby boy is in a fight. Albeit without fists and no mommy wants their little boy emasculated and dominated by another kid one on one

yup, mom's especially. They get before anyone else that their little baby boy is in a fight. Albeit without fists and no mommy wants their little boy emasculated and dominated by another kid one on one
That's true about moms. It honestly gets hard sometimes when it's your kid out there. And it's not always about my kid losing or getting dominated. I see all of the grueling practices that he goes through several times each week. I see him putting in the work and just coming up short sometimes. I know that's just how it goes, and it doesn't really matter in the end but at that moment it can be emotional.

Watching my son at his first tournament wasn't too bad. Watching my girl was. She took a heel to the face while getting armbarred and it took all I had not to run out there and get her. I think I did run over and pick her up as soon as she got off the mat.

I coached high school wrestling for a few years and I still have nightmares about the parents.
I currently coach high school lol. It's much better than youth, not perfect but better. In youth you have two major problems.
1. The parents are paying, so they think they're opinion means anything beyond their child's well being and safety, and actively interfere
2. The parents are living vicariously through their children so they are extra psycho
- I have coached several kids who wrestled hard for me because I protected them as much as I could from their parents yelling at them (yelling as in ripping their kid a new one for not hitting a half right and promising they'll "talk" at home), and knew I didn't judge them as a person for not winning a youth or middle school tournament
- I've been extremely lucky that other parents in the club trusted me and helped to keep the psycho parents under control. Other clubs it gets pretty bad

- High School is "usually" better because by that time the trophy kids have either burnt out and quit and/or the parents (for the the most part) understand they can only be so much of an ass. Plus they aren't paying anymore
- And if the right culture exists the coach controls the room and can mitigate/eliminate it.

I currently coach high school lol. It's much better than youth, not perfect but better. In youth you have two major problems.
1. The parents are paying, so they think they're opinion means anything beyond their child's well being and safety, and actively interfere
2. The parents are living vicariously through their children so they are extra psycho
- I have coached several kids who wrestled hard for me because I protected them as much as I could from their parents yelling at them (yelling as in ripping their kid a new one for not hitting a half right and promising they'll "talk" at home), and knew I didn't judge them as a person for not winning a youth or middle school tournament
- I've been extremely lucky that other parents in the club trusted me and helped to keep the psycho parents under control. Other clubs it gets pretty bad

- High School is "usually" better because by that time the trophy kids have either burnt out and quit and/or the parents (for the the most part) understand they can only be so much of an ass. Plus they aren't paying anymore
- And if the right culture exists the coach controls the room and can mitigate/eliminate it.
I absolutely agree. The issue was, for me, my school's environment. It's in a highly competitive area and, as a private school, we had plenty of financial support from parents (so it wasn't much different from a club in that regard). Furthermore, I was the whipping boy because I was the youngest, most mild-mannered coach who had no pull in the hierarchy. I was easy for parents to bitch at because I was at the bottom of the totem pole.

Back