Kids grappling video diary thread

Irresponsible Dad

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
There is a kids standup thread running in the standup thread. We should start one to document our kids progress in the grappling arts.

From the thread http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/kid-boxing-video-diary-new-videos-added.3795625/ :

“Any other parents of kids in combat sports it would be awesome for you to post here also to trade ideas/tips to keep any training fun and relevant.”

Looking forward to seeing your posts!

Start with my oldest son and daughter. Once they were teens the competition started getting tough. It’s easy when you are young. Once they grow into there bodies/minds you find out where you stand. Boy is in the green, girl is in the blue. I seem a bit too excited (I hate being an emotional grappling parent)

Last edited:
No one of consequence actually cares about “winning” at youth level beyond gauging skill level and progression.

Impressed how they kept their cool and worked towards a rational defense when a sub was on

My little ones first BJJ tournament. The second guy is huge. This shows how wrestling puts you way ahead in BJJ even with little training time.

Looking at old videos. I’m not sure why I was comfortable with this match. Rhonin allowing himself to be inverted by this big no experienced kid is a bad idea as well. It shows you can’t get to into the competition environment and let stupid take over leaving your kid in a dangerous situation.

What's the difference between a scorpion and a self-aware scorpion?

One will sting you on reflex, the other knows ahead of time that they'll sting you on reflex.

Last edited:
My sons have been training for about 4 months. They are 7 and 9. My older guy has shown interest in competing. I don't care if they compete or not, but if they do, I want them to be ready. The problem is they don't roll much in class. Sometimes they do about 5 minutes of positional sparring, but often they don't do any. Is this common? Like I said, I don't care if they compete, but I do want them to roll.

I love how seriously parents take youth sports, it's amusing on multiple levels

My sons have been training for about 4 months. They are 7 and 9. My older guy has shown interest in competing. I don't care if they compete or not, but if they do, I want them to be ready. The problem is they don't roll much in class. Sometimes they do about 5 minutes of positional sparring, but often they don't do any. Is this common? Like I said, I don't care if they compete, but I do want them to roll.

My kids do about 10 minutes of positional sparring, takedown sparring or full sparing, which is not that much for me neither. But when there's competitions the kids from my school do well enough so this must be the norm.

In the 4-7 years old class, they roll about 10-15 minutes in games of every sort, they rarely do a combats, it's the kids rolling until the coach say stop.

This summer, because of the soccer schedule, I pull them off the class, but I still managed a once a week class with me in the garage. Having 4 young kids (8 years old boy, 7 years old girl and 5 years old twin girls) I can do a lot of stuff when it's time for rolling. I usually make sure that my older son do technique so I make him start from bottom mount, It's about 10-15 minutes of positional rolling

I think that I will continue even when they'll return to regular classes, I won't give them technique, just 20-30 minutes of all sort of rolling once a week. It's so much fun and the more you roll, the more you learn.

Thanks for the response. I like what you wrote at the end. I want them to roll because it’s the part of BJJ that’s most fun, and I don’t want them to get discouraged. So far, though, they seem to be enjoying it.

I am competing tomorrow in gi only. The tournament is a benefit for childhood cancer where the proceeds go to Alex's Lemonade Stand. If you would like to support the cause by donating or sharing... here is my link - https://wecan.tapcancerout.org/fundraiser/1526165

I have until 10am EST tomorrow. Thank you very much!

Back