Kids choking themselves to get high???

It's just media bullshit made up to sell papers.

Not quite, but the media does like to get a hold of it and run with it every now and then. I used to be a reporter and a colleague did a big investigative piece on it.

A kid in our area had gone from playing 'space monkey' to choking himself with a belt. He fucked up and hung himself. Now his family are crusading against it with plastic bracelets and the whole shebang.

We did something like this when I was 13. It didn't work when I tried it. Kids are dumb and will do stupid things to get a rush. I think most people my age (34) have heard of this.

The thing to remember about reporters is that most of them were the squarest kids you ever knew. Now they're grown ups and every time they discover people doing something unusual or unsavory they're all OMG!! WTF!! Basically, reporters are just dorks with big mouths and good writing skills (keep this in mind re: MMA coverage.)

Another time we got video tape of a high school assault. One kid Grabbed another from behind in an RNC, choked him out and threw him down the stairs. The anchor shrieked "OMG, a sleeper hold!"

I said "Looks like a rear-naked choke to me." The kid had it fully sunk in, with the elbow under the chin.

She said "What? Looks like a sleeper hold to me. Those kids watch too much pro wrestling!"

This was during the Ultimate Fighter boom, MMA had just been sanctioned in our area and the kid was wearing some sort of Affliction/gothic barf shirt. I thought about it for a second and said "You're right. Definitely a sleeper hold. Fucking pro-wrestling!"

i knew a couple kids that were doing it back in grad school. that was a while back too... they would sit and put their head between their legs and hyper venilate for like 60 seconds and then stand up, choke themselves and fall down. lol i thought it was so funny (them being retarded) evidently its pretty dangerous though.

i say let kids be kids, theirs always going to be a few bad apples jumping off high shit, choking themselves, and sniffing glue. its just the way the world works

Not quite, but the media does like to get a hold of it and run with it every now and then. I used to be a reporter and a colleague did a big investigative piece on it.

A kid in our area had gone from playing 'space monkey' to choking himself with a belt. He fucked up and hung himself. Now his family are crusading against it with plastic bracelets and the whole shebang.

We did something like this when I was 13. It didn't work when I tried it. Kids are dumb and will do stupid things to get a rush. I think most people my age (34) have heard of this.

The thing to remember about reporters is that most of them were the squarest kids you ever knew. Now they're grown ups and every time they discover people doing something unusual or unsavory they're all OMG!! WTF!! Basically, reporters are just dorks with big mouths and good writing skills (keep this in mind re: MMA coverage.)

Another time we got video tape of a high school assault. One kid Grabbed another from behind in an RNC, choked him out and threw him down the stairs. The anchor shrieked "OMG, a sleeper hold!"

I said "Looks like a rear-naked choke to me." The kid had it fully sunk in, with the elbow under the chin.

She said "What? Looks like a sleeper hold to me. Those kids watch too much pro wrestling!"

This was during the Ultimate Fighter boom, MMA had just been sanctioned in our area and the kid was wearing some sort of Affliction/gothic barf shirt. I thought about it for a second and said "You're right. Definitely a sleeper hold. Fucking pro-wrestling!"

I am on the look out for negative jiu jitsu stereotypes perpetuated by the media and the public in general. I was a little careless, yesterday,when I was so nonchalant about going unconscious. If I want the public to have a positive impression about jiu jitsu, I can't tell them everything...:icon_neut

Thanks for that story HG.

Did you happen to see this in a television series called "Criminal Minds"?

This weeks episode was about this exact topic.

How goes one "compress" another's chest?

Well, we used to have the person who was going to pass out back up against the wall and someone would push on their chest.

Stupid? Yeah, but I did things that were way more stupid when I was that age. And I still go to classes where I have the blood flow cut off to my brain repeatedly for hours on end... not sure that people would really think that was any MORE intelligent if they didn't understand grappling.

I hate to admit it but I'm guilty of letting a friend or two choke me out for the HIGH of it. This was back in 6th and 7th grade I quickly stopped doing it after I hit the concrete at school and gave myself a nasty headache. However I do notice In my grappling class that its hard to choke me, Probably has nothing to do with that but it's worth the thought.

Ironically I find that choking kids out makes me feel all high and mighty. JK- I do it for shits and giggles (they shit themselves and I laugh).

Whatever happened to huffing glue, smoking pot and drinking?

Hell I do Judo and I don't like getting choked anywhere close to that sleepy feeling.

i find getting choked some what fun during jiu jitsu haha i like the almost about to pass out feeling but i have never even heard of this shit haha

I actually used to do this to myself in school. I would take my index finger and thumb and put one on each caratoid artery and press. It would give a little rush, and then you would be fine. That was in '86-'87.

My friend at college said back in highschool he had a friend who always did it and died playing it alone. I really don't understand it. In class, I don't mind going long being choked. You need to get comfortable with it and learn not to panic. I think that is very different though from what these kids are doing.

I honestly don't understand it and I am supposedly one of those stupid 15 year old's?

I don't understand how you like that high or lightheaded feeling. I get light headed if I like jump up to fast after lying down or something and I hate it.

That behaviour is "old-news". I think I even posted a warning about it years ago after I read an article of some kid killing himself playing the game alone.

The key is BE AWARE.

And if you have any influence on kids in your class, make sure you are very clear about the dangers of "playing around" with BJJ.

That behaviour is "old-news". I think I even posted a warning about it years ago after I read an article of some kid killing himself playing the game alone.

The key is BE AWARE.

And if you have any influence on kids in your class, make sure you are very clear about the dangers of "playing around" with BJJ.

Good advice.

Back