Kids choking themselves to get high???

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Cash Bill 52, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Cash Bill 52 Brown Belt

Cash Bill 52
    I got choked out today. No big deal... But, then, I talked to some people and they said that kids are purposely choking themselves out to to get high. As a teacher I would never advocate it for children.

The Choking Game: Middle School kids are literally choking each other to get high.

The Choking Game
    Middle School kids are literally choking each other to get high.

Feb 5, 2007 Barbara Pytel

Have you observed elementary and middle school students choking each other and laughing? Do they have red marks or bruising on their neck? Here is what is going on.

Asphyxia Activity
    There is a frightening activity going on among students today. They are literally choking themselves and risking dying for a high. Have you heard students mentioning:

passing someone out
    being choked out
    The Choking Game
    Do you have students interested in knots, ligatures or holding their breath to get a rush?

Aliases
    Students are sneaking around in school getting highs from choking each other. They do not realize how dangerous this is. They have called this activity various things--

Tap Out
    5 Minutes of Heaven
    7 Minutes 'Til Heaven
    Black Out Game
    Choke Out
    Choking Game
    Snuff (out)
    Speed Dreaming
    Breath Play
    Purple Dragon
    Gasp
    Suffocation roulette
    Twitching game
    Flatline game
    Fainting game
    Dream Game
    Black Hole
    Dream game
    Suffocation game
    Tingling game
    Parents in the Dark
    75% of parents have no clue what is going on. Children are choking each other to get a high and they are dying.

Side-Effect is Death
    Many middle school students do not realize they can die from this "game." The Guidance Channel states that The Choking Game, as it has come to be called, is a game children play by compressing a friend's chest or squeezing their neck to cut off the flow of oxygen. In the first step, the person being choked will feel light-headed due to the reduced blood flow and lack of oxygen to the brain, causing a perceived "high". Once the pressure to the chest or neck has been lifted the surge of blood back into the brain creates a perceived "rush"....if things go as planned.

Ads by Google
    Masters in Public Policy
    Earn a Masters in Public Policy Online at New England College.
    MAPP.OnlineNEC.comTechnology & IT Jobs
    Contract and direct hire Tech & IT positions available. View jobs now.
    Yoh IT ~ Technology Talent

Brain Damage
    Julie Rosenbluth for the American Council For Drug Education informs us that deaths or brain damage can occur when children try to induce the high by themselves. In many of these cases, children are constricting themselves with ties or belts. When the flow of oxygen is cut off they unintentionally pass out leaving no one to loosen the "noose" they have created and save them.

What If With Friends?
    Even children that have "high" parties with friends are at risk for

permanent brain damage,
    harm to the retina,
    accidental fall from passing out,
    and death.
    If the child's partner squeezes a small group of nerve cells in the neck, the heart can stop and death will occur.

Symptoms
    What should parents and teachers be on the look out for?

Raspy breath
    Marks on the neck
    Belts, bags, ties found around the house that have not been there before
    Bloodshot eyes
    Headaches
    Marks on the neck
    Warning Signs
    Dog leashes, choke collars, etc.
    Abrasions, scrapes or bruises on the neck
    High-necked shirts
    Hoarseness without having a cold
    History on computer of strange suffocation sites
    What Are the Ages?
    The most likely age of children doing this is 9-14. So, upper elementary and middle school students are most vulnerable. Why? They are not likely to find alcohol, tobacco or drugs for fun. Asphyxiation is the "free" method of high.

Suicide?
    NO. These kids are not thinking of suicide. They are playing a "game"....a game that may accidentally take their life. 10-year olds have been found hanging from trees playing this game. They do not have the maturity to realize how dangerous this is.

Websites: CHOKING GAME.net (Passout, Fainting, Blackout, Space Monkey) | HOME and chokinggameinformation.com

Related articles:

Cutting

Teenage Brain Not Developed

Read previous articles on Educational Issues.

Copyright article 2007 Barbara Pytel. All Rights Reserved.

Read more at Suite101: The Choking Game: Middle School kids are literally choking each other to get high. The Choking Game: Middle School kids are literally choking each other to get high.

2. Mike Wilson Jr. Amateur Fighter

Mike Wilson Jr.
    Ive heard of this before. Especially the chest compression thing. Theres like 1000 videos on youtube on this.

3. Qtip inspector Blue Belt

Qtip inspector
    me and my buddy use to knock people out in the library in high school. yeah its dangerous in hind sight but was fun back then. hell ,i was drinking Robatussin and taking what ever I could get my hands on. just being a kid. we had people lining up during break to get knocked out!!:icon_lol:

4. bora y Purple Belt

bora y
    choke til ya choke.

5. flikerstance Green Belt

flikerstance
    Yall must all be like 80 people in their 40s use to do that as kids.

6. netbjjer420 Green Belt

netbjjer420
    Hi folks, it's me David Carradine. I've possessed this account to deliver an important message: DON'T. Sure, it feels really good, but soon that isn't enough and you keep searching for a greater high and soon...

7. Cash Bill 52 Brown Belt

Cash Bill 52
    What kids do for fun...

I try to avoid getting choked out.

8. Doctor Gonzo Belfort's TRT-inspired mohawk.

Doctor Gonzo
    There was a girl who I was seeing a few years back who always got me to kind of choke her when we slept together, one night we were drunk and she asked me to choke her, so I started doing it, then she died

the end.

but on a real note, what happened to the days of smoking Marijuana to get high

stupid kids these days

9. MMA Hole Black Belt

MMA Hole
    It's just media bullshit made up to sell papers.

10. Oliver Geddes Amateur Fighter

Oliver Geddes
    A guy I used to go to school with was doing this with his friends a few years back. He was basically being hung, but a teacher came around so they all scattered, but they never let him down, so he died.

No-one even realized until the day after when they found his body.

...so, seriously, don't do it. It's really stupid, and it can kill you.

Take care,

Oli

11. LocalNmass Blue Belt

LocalNmass
    When I went from Junior high to high school a couple of my friends moved to the suburbs 20miles from the city for the better school system etc.

I saw them after a few months, maybe on xmas break, and while we were in the same grade/age. Those guys in the burbs were all about about choking each other out. Us city kids knew nothing of it, and wanted no part of it.

fwiw, i knew a girl who wanted me to choke her out in the throws of passion, i didn't, out of fear.

12. Sweet Lew Banned

Sweet Lew
    I used to do this when I was younger. It was probably one of the safer ways I got a high. Stupid as fuck; but that's what youth is for I guess.

13. Title Fight Productions Steel Belt

Title Fight Productions
    This has nothing to do with actual MMA, we used to do the choke out in middle school. Didn't really have to do with "getting high" in the sense that drugs do or whatever, just made you feel funny and was silly to watch people pass out.

14. Balto Silver Belt

Balto
    I'm pretty sure that no one actually advocates this for children. Pretty much everyone agrees that this is a dumb idea.

However, these are middle school kids, so they get a lot of dumb ideas. I know I had a lot when I was in middle school. I remember one time I thought it would be cool if I took two swords and held the one (edge down) in my right armpit while I drew the second one from its scabbard on my left hip.

Yeah that was a pretty dumb idea. It was probably one of the worst ideas you could ever have. I still have the scar on my right arm.

I did learn a few cool things though. One is that getting cut badly with a sword is pretty much painless at first. The second is that when you cut yourself with a sharp sword, your blood actually looks blue for a split second as it pumps through your veins. Of course it quickly turns red once it hits the air, but when I saw myself bleeding blue within the cut briefly, I knew I had screwed up pretty bad.

15. Cash Bill 52 Brown Belt

Cash Bill 52
    I got myself in a little trouble (really just had to explain myself). I was talking like getting choked unconscious was no big deal, when somebody brought this issue up. It is hard to explain what I do to the outside world...

16. Dammit White Belt

Dammit
    I remember doing this at grade school parties as a kid. It was more funny watching kids pass out more than getting high. I also remember trying to smoke peanut shells and banana peels because we heard it gets you high. What can I say, kids do stupid stuff, especially when they're bored.

17. Knock Out Ned el mero mero

Knock Out Ned
    If I finish my lesson and we have five or so minutes left, I'll let the kids relax. Usually, they'll joke around with each other or play with their cell phones. A few months ago, one of my girl students started doing that choking stuff to another girl student all of a sudden. I usually don't yell at my students, but I had to that time. I had never heard of kids doing that so I was pretty shocked.

18. Commissar Gold Belt

Commissar
    How goes one "compress" another's chest?

19. Fedorzilla Brown Belt

Fedorzilla
    same here. Hilarious. Somebody on our baseball traveling team found out about this shit and (being bored on road trips) we naturally started doing it all the time. Basically you lean over and hyperventilate for a bit, then you sand up and somone puts the choke on you (using both palms, fingers out) and you have these weird speed dreams... hence the "speed dreaming" description. We actually had one guy do this and he spit (what appeared to be deliberately in his dream) and spit on a guy in front of him in real life. Then woke up... we referred to him as the "spitting camel" for the remainder of the summer.

obviously not "good for you" but nobody ever had anything fucked up result from this. It's just people trying to sell papers.

20. redaxe Silver Belt

redaxe
    Belts, ropes, ligatures, and dog leashes? What the fucky!? This is why everyone should learn BJJ--so they know how to strangle each other PROPERLY and nobody has to die from it! Have the guy raise his hand, put a RNC on him, when his hand drops you release the choke. Done.