Kid knocks over 132k statue, museum sends bill to parents

It really depends on how long the kid was effectively unsupervised.

Kids running off from theit parents is to be expected by anyone with a brain, parents attempting to reacquire those kids is also expected by those same people.

Additionally if you are going to allow kids in you should ensure the place is suitable for them.

Lastly I want to know what it was insured for. Was 130k an independent valuation or just the belief of its maker.

You could buy Kansas for $132K. They should get a reassessment of the value of that piece.

Maybe a little more than $132k . . . but close.

They should make the parent sit on the pedestal all day and act as a replacement statue.

If you're kid can't be taken into public places without breaking other people's shit and you're too lazy to supervise them, then maybe you should be billed.

When I went to a place like that I was told "Don't touch anything!" And I was very clear that consequences would be had if I did.

Yet some parents think that it's ok to outsource all parenting responsibility to others.

"Well you should know my kid is uncontrollable and I am way too lazy to properly supervise him, so society should micromanage my kids for me, creating physical barriers and assume that I am going to be an utter failure in rasing responsible kids... Oh and where's my tax break and free money?"

I am not surprised this entitled POS thinks someone else is to blame.

My plans, to open a museum of precariously balanced highly-appraised junk complete with liability clause fine-printed admission tickets, hinge on the outcome of this case.

precariously? Really dude? The kid, who probably weighs about 50 lbs, was literally hanging off the statues breast for 10-15 seconds, before readjusting, which eventually made it fall.

You can disagree with making the family pay for a number of reasons, but don't add words like that to change the context of the situation.

Is everything a right or left issue now?

yea, that is a strange comment.

I have typical left and right posters shit on the parents. I have seen other, typical left and right posters say that they are not at fault. In general, most feel the parents suck. It is just in question of who should pay.

Having it behind something, in glass or protected, is for the instances where parents don't watch their children.

The problem is still parents not watching their children in that case. If they watched their kids, no protection would be needed.

That said, having a family owe a quarter of a million dollars because their son knocked down a sculpted rock, doesn't seem like a reasonable solution to this, at all.

Should they have watched their kid better? Yes. Should they have their lives and their kid's life severely affected as a result? No. Everyone's kids get away from them and bust something at some point during childhood. No one was hurt, so I don't think they need to go after the parents.

It really depends on how long the kid was effectively unsupervised.

Kids running off from theit parents is to be expected by anyone with a brain, parents attempting to reacquire those kids is also expected by those same people.

Additionally if you are going to allow kids in you should ensure the place is suitable for them.

Lastly I want to know what it was insured for. Was 130k an independent valuation or just the belief of its maker.

Museums are as much for kids as anybody.. Maybe more. My kids go to the museum on their field trip. As you get older, it gets easier and easier not to be impressed by a lot of that stuff. I watch bob Ross 3 times a week or so, it impresses me that he developed and made advancements in being able to make paintings that good that fast, but I don't think they should sell for millions. I like art, but again, kids are part of the target audience.

I think insurance should pony up, but the parents should be made to clean up the museum or community service or something, I agree theyre partially at fault but 125Gs because kids be kids is a tad ridiculous. Also if the statue is light enough for a kid to knock over its I think it would be common sense to protect it with a barrier.

precariously? Really dude? The kid, who probably weighs about 50 lbs, was literally hanging off the statues breast for 10-15 seconds, before readjusting, which eventually made it fall.

You can disagree with making the family pay for a number of reasons, but don't add words like that to change the context of the situation.
Why so serious?

Well there is at least one women in favor of separating children from their family.

The article i read said the art was not insured in anyway, so that number is just made up as fuck. I say dont pay a damn dime.

I can't believe that after 4 pages, the following trends have emerged:
1. People are blaming the victim because they didn't have signs
2. People are blaming the victim because there isn't more to protect the art. When you go to the Louvre, many of the exhibits have nothing more than a bar at waist height to prevent you from walking further
3. People are most offended by calling the kid a POS, a little snot, etc. Guess what, kids can be little shits. There are well-behaved kids and kids that are poorly-behaved, and that's just the way it is. If you can tolerate a little foul language, that's your problem, not everyone else's, particularly if you are going to use the same language to describe things that you find obnoxious. Of course, double-standards should only apply when you want them to, right?
All of them will be raising POS snots in a few years.

No question! The parents should pay, as they carry the responsibility for their offspring. As for the sum, it sounds too high. They should get a independent assessment.

As a parent. I hold my kids hand if we in any place that has breakables. I also tell them what my mother told me. "Touch with your eyes and not your hands"
132k is a little steep though. Maybe have them pay the deductible. I am sure that piece was insured.
Side note I am sure the kids parents will never let the kid forget this.
Hey Dad I am 16 now you going to buy me a car. Dad, "once you pay me my 132k, I will buy you any car you want."
Anytime the kid asks for anything or fucks up, just bring up the 132k.

Back