Kid knocks over 132k statue, museum sends bill to parents

Maybe they are trying to "statue" an example and sculpture a precedent that will stand the test of time and become an inventory.

That was bad, I sincerely apologize...
Yeah - it was pretty stony....

Parents don't feel any need to teach their kids good behavior, consequence or discipline. These people probably really think they're being picked on.

I have spent a lot of my life working with troubled youth and it is very common that the parents of these kids blame everyone and everything else for their kid's behavior (if the parents are even around). The parent will say it is the school's fault, it is another kid being a bad influence, it is someone making up lies about the kid. The parent will never take responsibility for their child's behavior.

http://digg.com/video/parents-boy-breaks-museum-sculpture

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/06/1...2000-after-child-damages-glass-sculpture.html <- better vid in here

A boy, looks to be around 4 or 5, knocked over a statue at a Kansas City Community Center valued at $132,000. The family received a letter from the city's insurance center accusing them of negligence and saying they needed to pay for it.

The child's mother blamed the center "It's in the main walkway, not a separate room. No Plexiglass. Not protected. Not held down. No border around it, not even a sign that says "Do Not Touch."

Video in link shows the kid climbing on the pedestal the statue is on, as if trying to get to it and lift it or hug it or something. Then it topples forward and falls to the ground taking the kid with it. Then the mother, who was about 20 feet away on a couch with what looks to be a different statue blocking her view of her kid and chatting with a friend, gets up to check on her boy. Kid knows he's in trouble and runs away lol.

*note, some comments seem to think the woman who walked over may not have been the mom, as she didn't seem concerned much and the kid ran away to a different room and she may have moved to just go sit back down when the video ended.

What do you think Sherdog? Parental negligence and should be responsible? Or museums fault for not having everything under lock and key? In a response, the city said their insurance company is reaching out to the family's insurance company to talk payment. They're not directly billing the family.

in most settings id say the parents were OK. but in a F'ing museum, you cant let your kids be running wild.

Spoken like someone who doesn't have kids. You know why it's so easy for you to be inconstant scan mode when your with your nieces and nephews? Because you weren't deprived of hours of sleep night after night after night. You aren't constantly having to do this day after day after day. Anyone who expect parents to constantly have control of their child and never once slip up is being unrealistic. Parents will and do make mistakes. The best you can do is hope that when you eventually make that mistake it doesn't cost your child his\hers life.

Kids destroying a statue in a museum is an epic parenting failure. Being tired is not an excuse in this case. There is no way a 4 and 5 year old should be climbing on statues at a museum. It should have been made very clear by the parents what behavior was expected of the kids before they even went inside. Certainly, you cannot see everything at all times, but your kids climbing on statues at a museum is something you can see regardless of how exhausted you are. This was not a kid putting a marble in their nose, falling down the stairs or drinking bleach. This was a major incident that could have been prevented with better parenting.

You can get an idea in this thread who is raising snowflakes.

Watch your kid always and especially when they are young.

You break it you bought it. In this case it wasn't an accident it was neglect on the parents.

Not sure if they can pay but at least they are being held for being piss poor parents.

At that age they stay within hand reach unless they are some place made for them to run lose. Even then they stay within close eye shot for their safety and the comfort of others.

Watch your kid the world is not their to do with as they please and they are not "special" to anyone but you.

PS I raised kids and watch grandkids, they behave around me.

I have spent a lot of my life working with troubled youth and it is very common that the parents of these kids blame everyone and everything else for their kid's behavior (if the parents are even around). The parent will say it is the school's fault, it is another kid being a bad influence, it is someone making up lies about the kid. The parent will never take responsibility for their child's behavior.
Lots of parents just give up and don’t give a shit.

Parents' fault. The kid didn't bump into the thing, he didn't dart over and hit it, the kid was bloody climbing on the thing without a parent anywhere near. Terrible parent not just cause the kid could break something, but the kid could also get hurt. These awful parents now have the balls to blame the museum for not making it impossible for unattended small children to run around and break shit? This is why we can't have nice things. Let's just let dogs run loose in museums now too.

Parents should watch their kids, yes.

132k fine is too much though. For that they really need a sign or two or some protection.

Both sides are shitty here.

agreed.

and this is the exact thing a museum insurance policy is for.

The cost is way out of scale with the ease by which it was damaged. You can't make the parents pay that much. Whoever displays it there has to assume some risk, most of it at least.

Who takes a 5 year-old to a museum with high value, unprotected, fragile items on display?

Take them to a freaking kids museum or some other kid-friendly place . . .

I'm of two minds on this. First the museum should have taken more precautionary measures to protect the statue. Their insurance company should have made sure that the liability was at a minimum.

Second the parents need to control their child better. going off of the case where the police shot through a garage door and killed a man, I'm going to say that the museum is 99% at fault and the parents should only have to pay $4.

in most settings id say the parents were OK. but in a F'ing museum, you cant let your kids be running wild.
That's not entirely true. The Getty Museum has the most prestigious works of art in the world, and at the same time, they have a kid friendly room where kids can literally run around. From the outside, it looks like any other section of the museum.

there are plenty of statues, and the ones in touching distance/unguarded are well secured.

The museum should have anticipated stupid people touching the art and they should have protected it better. That doesn't absolve the kid and parents though. The kid broke something and the parents are responsible.

That's not entirely true. The Getty Museum has the most prestigious works of art in the world, and at the same time, they have a kid friendly room where kids can literally run around. From the outside, it looks like any other section of the museum.

there are plenty of statues, and the ones in touching distance/unguarded are well secured.

yea.

i guess its a bit like defensive driving. if you have a green light, and turn without looking....someone runs their red light and hits you, is it their fault? of course. but you probably should not have counted on them stopping, and look before you drive anyway. i guess thats how i feel about this. the museum should have taken more precautions.

BUT, those kids appeared to be pretty wild in there, and the parents were just chilling. i still feel the parents are guilty, but 132k might be a stiff price to pay for something like this. one side or the other is going to get F'ed maybe more than they should here.

What museum has anyone ever been to that lets you climb on the artwork?

For me, it's like babies crying at movies. You knew your crotch goblin was going to have to stay quiet, zero tolerance if they start crying. I wouldn't blame the theater for not having soundproof booths. It's assumed when you go to the movies that you're going to need to shut the fuck up.

The kid doesn't know that, but the mom does. I leam toward negligence on behalf of the parents.

Fuck.....on the other hand parenting is a lot like playing defense in the modern NFL/NBA. The kids are literally getting bigger, stronger, faster, and better informed about their personal agency in this world, while at the same time they are exposed to a daily deluge of online stiumuli that is designed to entrap their minds.

At the same time the "league rules" have made it more difficult for a parent to control their child. You can't put hands on them anymore, and the fundemental template of the parenting model seems to be shifting from the benign authoritariian playbook to the less effeicent democratic partnership model.

My dad passed when I was 14 so my mom had to raise the six of us by herself via the Way of the Wooden Spoon. It was a powerful jutsu that served us well and resonates in me to this day. It would have gotten her arrested and maybe even jailed nowadays.

So I'm thinking the mother deserves a little bit of flex on this. I think I've personally rushed to judgement on it. I always feel that stab of annoyance when a kid is running wild. IOt leaks into my judgement when stories likethese pop up.

Both sides are idiots.

First of all the parents should be with there kids during all time and not let them wonder off, specially in a museum like that.

Having said that, why would they have a 132k statue out in the opwn likw that? With no pexiglass or any sort of security?....I mean, if they didnt have a no touch sign, it just shows how incompetent the city was.

So no I dont think the parents should pay

sad thing is the mother is sitting on a bench while her little hell spawn is messing with it.

Then she wants to act all indignant that someone didn't set up barriers to prevent her kid from being the little terror he is. Reminds me of a time I saw a woman's kids messing around hanging from an art piece at a park. I said to her "they are going to get hurt" she told me to fuck off and mind my own business. Then one of the kids slipped and fell, split open his chin. She calls cops and paramedics and starts in with the "this should be secured better, the chains aren't enough to keep the kids out and I only took my eyes off them for a second" I strolled back over and told the cop about my interaction with her, you could see the blood draining from her face and if looks could kill I'd have been dead before I hit the ground. Basically I screwed up her lawsuit plans. Fuck that bitch and same for this kids mom

And how about insurance companies doing what they are fucking paid to do and actually paying out on claims. Insurance companies are some of the shittiest most unethical companies that exist. Give us money for something that might happen and than argue to the death every single claim that comes in so you don't have to hold up your end of the bargain.

You can get an idea in this thread who is raising snowflakes.

Watch your kid always and especially when they are young.

You break it you bought it. In this case it wasn't an accident it was neglect on the parents.

Not sure if they can pay but at least they are being held for being piss poor parents.

At that age they stay within hand reach unless they are some place made for them to run lose. Even then they stay within close eye shot for their safety and the comfort of others.

Watch your kid the world is not their to do with as they please and they are not "special" to anyone but you.

PS I raised kids and watch grandkids, they behave around me.
talk about idealism. Your "no nonsense" bullshit is the conservative equivalent of gay pride virtue signaling through rainbow attire. The insurance company insured an object that is IN PUBLIC VIEW AND ON PUBLIC DISPLAY. Children aren't banned from museums. This is an insurance problem, regardless of not watching your kids properly.

Back