Kid knocks over 132k statue, museum sends bill to parents

HockeyBjj

Putting on the foil
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
http://digg.com/video/parents-boy-breaks-museum-sculpture

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/06/1...2000-after-child-damages-glass-sculpture.html <- better vid in here

A boy, looks to be around 4 or 5, knocked over a statue at a Kansas City Community Center valued at $132,000. The family received a letter from the city's insurance center accusing them of negligence and saying they needed to pay for it.

The child's mother blamed the center "It's in the main walkway, not a separate room. No Plexiglass. Not protected. Not held down. No border around it, not even a sign that says "Do Not Touch."

Video in link shows the kid climbing on the pedestal the statue is on, as if trying to get to it and lift it or hug it or something. Then it topples forward and falls to the ground taking the kid with it. Then the mother, who was about 20 feet away on a couch with what looks to be a different statue blocking her view of her kid and chatting with a friend, gets up to check on her boy. Kid knows he's in trouble and runs away lol.

*note, some comments seem to think the woman who walked over may not have been the mom, as she didn't seem concerned much and the kid ran away to a different room and she may have moved to just go sit back down when the video ended.

What do you think Sherdog? Parental negligence and should be responsible? Or museums fault for not having everything under lock and key? In a response, the city said their insurance company is reaching out to the family's insurance company to talk payment. They're not directly billing the family.

Last edited:
Keep your stupid kids on a short leash in museums.

Parents are guilty. Tax dat ass

city's fault if no signs. Any museum in LA with high ticket items will have docents brush the kids away. It's unreasonable to think kids will just leave it alone.

It shouldn't be that fucking easy to destroy something worth that much at a museum. They know kids are coming put your shit behind some sort of safety.

I don't know you would think that if you go to a museum you would make sure your kid doesn't climb up any of the artwork.
I mean that wasn't an ''accident'' like the kid bumped into it. It was freaking climbing up the thing and the mom had her fat ass on the couch.

Parents don't feel any need to teach their kids good behavior, consequence or discipline. These people probably really think they're being picked on.

Don't take your five year old to a museum that has a bunch of expensive shit on display.

Not sure who is responsible though, if there were no signs. I think customers may unwittingly agree to responsibility when they enter though. Have to see what kind of policy the museum has, I guess.

Maybe they are trying to "statue" an example and sculpture a precedent that will stand the test of time and become an inventory.

That was bad, I sincerely apologize...

She was sitting right there watching him hug that statute and then gets up and languidly strolls towards him after he breaks it. The world is not his playground, and the city isn't his babysitter.

Pay up heffa: The wages of lazy parenting start at 132k.

Last edited:
Any info on the statue?

Glass. Damaged beyond repair. Looks like a woman's head and torso sculpture thing

Looking at the Fox video, that definitely wasn't the mom that got up. Just a bystander. Mom I guess wasn't even in the room. Vid shows two boys running around, like literally doing laps around the room, and then the younger one starts to climb and pulls it off

How about you watch your fucking kid?
This might be the first post of yours I ever agreed with. Anyway, yes, at all times it's the parents responsibility. I see it all the time. At the airport, you often see kids playing on the baggage carousel right in front of the sign saying to keep of because it's dangerous. Fucking ridiculous. Mind your brats.

city's fault if no signs. Any museum in LA with high ticket items will have docents brush the kids away. It's unreasonable to think kids will just leave it alone.
That's why they have parents.

Obviously the kid and parent is at fault but I really doubt they can pay that much? I’ve always wondered with high price things on display how many incidents happen a year with kids and how he cost are covered? Insurance yea, but you think if it is so expensive and covered by insurance they would do a risk assessment and see it’s poorly protected

I agree it’s always a parents responsibility to watch their kids, the only caveat I see in this particular situation is that this was in a community Center and not a museum or somewhere else you’d expect an expensive piece of art to be. Community centres are usually places for kids to run around and play so I think there’s a little more grey in this instance than there would be in most other similar situations.

That's why they have parents.
city property is public property. If they wanted to protect it, then put effort into protecting it.

heck, the parents can sue for putting the child's safety at risk.

Obviously the kid and parent is at fault but I really doubt they can pay that much? I’ve always wondered with high price things on display how many incidents happen a year with kids and how he cost are covered? Insurance yea, but you think if it is so expensive and covered by insurance they would do a risk assessment and see it’s poorly protected
we have so many Museums in LA, and stuff like this is either blocked off or hard to access by children. If you're going to allow children into fine art museums, the docents will let you know the policy by speaking with you.

Museum claims that there is a reasonable expectation and knowledge of patrons and citizens to know not to touch artwork in a museum. I agree with them. We shouldn’t have to have do not touch signs and plexiglass over anything of value in a museum just because some brat and bad parent can’t behave civil.

They’re trying to argue that point to avoid paying but it’s bullshit. Go to any museum and you’ll see a similar set up where very expensive paintings are within arms reach of any patron.

Back