Kid boxing video diary (new videos added)

Just keep reminding him that he doesn't need to win, he only needs to learn. After the bout ask him what he learned, how he feels, and what he'd like to fix. Let him have his thoughts, have his feelings, have a good cry if he needs to, and speak from his own mind. Then ask him if he'd like to know what you saw/think, don't cram it down his throat.

My 11 year-old has his first fight next Saturday and he said to his older Brother "what if I lose?" I sat him down and explained that in every first bout there's a loser and a winner, and if every kid who lost quit boxing, many World Champions would have never had the success they had. No such thing as perfection, only the endless pursuit of it. A pursuit where the end isn't the beauty, the journey is:

how hard are his sparring sessions? Obviously the nerves will always be there, but maybe if you can play it as a sparring session with a trophy rather than a fight it could calm the nerves. I also think referring to it as a boxing match rather than a fight is good as well. This keeps it into sport context, hes going to go play the sport of boxing, rather than a terrifying fight. If you get what im trying to say.

His sparring session yesterday was hard sparring. It only became physically hard for him when he was up against older and taller kids who really went for it against him. Normally I'm not into that sort of thing when there's a big difference, but he's fighting in a few days and wanted to see how he'd react under pressure of almost certainly being beat, gotta say it was 50/50 fight lol.

I've told him winning or losing this fight doesn't matter to me at all and it shouldn't to him. IF he trusts his training uses correct technique, speed, aggression and movement... then everything will fall into place. The opponent is just a target for us to practice our skills on.

Man I'll try and get a video of him if I can when cornering...his footwork is better than mine ever was or could be. I had to tell him off twice yesterday for hitting kids in the back of the head because he was spinning and pivoting around the sparring partners so quickly. This fight will show us where he is really at.

Edit: @Sinister after each training session or sparring, or even watching other kids on youtube I ask him to commentate on what is happening and what he thinks should be different, thanks for your advice guys much appreciated! I think ill be more nervous than him for his first fight haha

His sparring session yesterday was hard sparring. It only became physically hard for him when he was up against older and taller kids who really went for it against him. Normally I'm not into that sort of thing when there's a big difference, but he's fighting in a few days and wanted to see how he'd react under pressure of almost certainly being beat, gotta say it was 50/50 fight lol.

I've told him winning or losing this fight doesn't matter to me at all and it shouldn't to him. IF he trusts his training uses correct technique, speed, aggression and movement... then everything will fall into place. The opponent is just a target for us to practice our skills on.

Man I'll try and get a video of him if I can when cornering...his footwork is better than mine ever was or could be. I had to tell him off twice yesterday for hitting kids in the back of the head because he was spinning and pivoting around the sparring partners so quickly. This fight will show us where he is really at.

i agree with everything but the hard sparring a few days before the fight. I dont spar 2 weeks before a fight, some do 1 week. I think its a bit different with MT as higher chance for injury, but yeah. Im sure hell do great.

i agree with everything but the hard sparring a few days before the fight. I dont spar 2 weeks before a fight, some do 1 week. I think its a bit different with MT as higher chance for injury, but yeah. Im sure hell do great.

i feel you there mate, I wouldn't normally spar hard 3 days before the fight, but he desperately needed some ring time due to us not finding a suitable gym with kids earlier in the month. Last week he sparred but wasn't active enough with his punches...he was pacing himself. I needed to show him a 1 minute novice fight will be like a sprint not a marathon

If he's going to do tournaments, he needs to get used to that. Big tourneys are 4-5 days. PAL Nationals and Eastern Qualifiers are within 2 weeks of each other and both accrue ranking points. My elite team are being put through the ringer over the next few weeks

If he's going to do tournaments, he needs to get used to that. Big tourneys are 4-5 days. PAL Nationals and Eastern Qualifiers are within 2 weeks of each other and both accrue ranking points. My elite team are being put through the ringer over the next few weeks

yeah i wasnt aware of that, i think its more important with MT because theres a higher chance for injury, specifically with competing in tournaments where you fight like you said a few days in a row, its real easy to lump up the shins cause theres no pads like a glove. not that you cant get injured in boxing, im sure you get what im trying to say.

yeah i wasnt aware of that, i think its more important with MT because theres a higher chance for injury, specifically with competing in tournaments where you fight like you said a few days in a row, its real easy to lump up the shins cause theres no pads like a glove. not that you cant get injured in boxing, im sure you get what im trying to say.

It's definitely something that should be approached carefully

Just keep reminding him that he doesn't need to win, he only needs to learn. After the bout ask him what he learned, how he feels, and what he'd like to fix. Let him have his thoughts, have his feelings, have a good cry if he needs to, and speak from his own mind. Then ask him if he'd like to know what you saw/think, don't cram it down his throat.

My 11 year-old has his first fight next Saturday and he said to his older Brother "what if I lose?" I sat him down and explained that in every first bout there's a loser and a winner, and if every kid who lost quit boxing, many World Champions would have never had the success they had. No such thing as perfection, only the endless pursuit of it. A pursuit where the end isn't the beauty, the journey is:

good luck to your boy mate!

We got two doses of luck, left fist...right fist. Lol

Here's a vid for your Son, I took this at the Western Qualifier in March. Rafaelito Ramirez, #1 9 year-old in the Country. He's from here in Vegas, and he's made every kid in this gym cry at one point...just from sheer inability of them to be effective. Red corner:

Karate McDojos are prominent in affluent neighborhoods because affluent parents want to pay someone to make their kid feel tough without actually subjecting them to anything even remotely dangerous. And people like you are why Martial Arts always stray towards pretending to fight and to know how to fight, as opposed to actually fighting.

In fact, given this rant, it's quite ironic you even have a membership on a prolific full-contact MMA Web forum. You should be outside the UFC center with a picket sign.

Also Boxing is absolutely not on life support, it's a globally practiced sport with amateur programs in pretty much every civilized Country on the planet. Saul Alvarez drew a million television views in Mexico, a very poor Country. Manny Pacquiao started a boxing Renaissance in an entire region of the World, and Floyd Mayweather Jr. Has been the highest paid athlete a few times. Athletes make more money now than they ever have, and even women's boxing was given new life by being added to the Olympics, with Claressa Shields being the first back-to-back Gold Medalist in U.S. History.

So yeah, the idea of anyone getting punched doesn't sit well with you? Go join a crochet forum.

Like I said, trauma to the brain is still trauma to the brain. And it's still sad to see children subjected to brain trauma. The number of boxers with neurological, cognitive, and speech problems is limitless. It's sad to see children put on the same path.

Like I said, trauma to the brain is still trauma to the brain. And it's still sad to see children subjected to brain trauma. The number of boxers with neurological, cognitive, and speech problems is limitless. It's sad to see children put on the same path.

This was created as a video diary for my son's progress and so that other dads with sons in combat sports, or any sports could share ideas.

If you are against kids in boxing or MMA etc etc etc, then take your opinions to the war room or make your own thread.

This is his daily routine (just for summer)View attachment 407139 . If he seems fatigued/losing concentration then I simply drop the evening training for that day aswell as a rest day every 3 days.

What he works on in the evening will depend on what his weakest area seems to be. For example right now I want his hips lower to the ground when he moves, so he's getting plenty of bobbing/weaving/slipping drills this week. Next week probably work alot more on parries/blocks while stepping.

Not trying to be a smartass but look out with the situps, can be very bad for the spine. Cool topic sounds like your a good dad

Our opponent was a no show today, so the fight was cancelled. Disappointing but back to training today

Happens a lot in amateur boxing

It literally happens at least once every show here. Sometimes the day of a show fighters from Cali just don't come into town like they say they will

After his opponent no-showed, its back to the warrior factory for some training before the tournament next weekend!

I don't know if now is the right time to say it but you kid should know that he won by training and showing up. It was a real victory because the other guy didn't show. That happens a lot in real life and the benefits are real

Laughed out loud when your daughter picked up the barbell and declared her super strength. She wants your encouragement too! Don't forget about her!
you don't want any of your kids seeking validation elsewhere as they grow older... :confused::confused::eek::eek::eek:

I don't know if now is the right time to say it but you kid should know that he won just by showing up. It was a real victory because the other guy didn't show. That happens a lot in real life and the benefits are real

Laughed out loud when your daughter picked up the barbell and declared her super strength. She wants your encouragement too! Don't forget about her!
you don't want any of your kids seeking validation elsewhere as they grow older...:eek:

Yeah my boy was pretty annoyed on the morning. He was very tired simply from all of the weigh in procedures and physicals and waiting around. I was the only parent to bring a sleeping bag and pillow though so he could nap 2 hours before his due bout ;) Im very proud of his efforts he is a working machine. Plenty of hard physical training, tons of time with other kids plus tons of videogame time! A successful summer all round so far!

Unfortunately I had to choose to reject the officials offer for him to have the 'win' in his book for it though. Only reason is because each fight as a novice is vital experience before he ever goes open (more than 10 fights)...so I didn't want to waste a 'fight' on the no show guy.

Lol trust me my daughter gets attention, she is a little bossy boots!

Yeah my boy was pretty annoyed on the morning. He was very tired simply from all of the weigh in procedures and physicals and waiting around. I was the only parent to bring a sleeping bag and pillow though so he could nap 2 hours before his due bout ;)

Unfortunately I had to choose to reject the officials offer for him to have the 'win' in his book for it though. Only reason is because each fight as a novice is vital experience before he ever goes open (more than 10 fights)...so I didn't want to waste a 'fight' on the no show guy.

Lol trust me my daughter gets attention, she is a little bossy boots!

That's great. Yeah he doesn't need the printed W, but he definitely should see it as a personal victory. Smart

I like your training methods. Temperament is reasonable but firm and controlled, that's what they need (to look up to and to hear in their own heads when you're not always there)

Back