Kid boxing video diary (new videos added)

Side note/question for you guys - Best way to teach a kid the jab? Mine (5) starts off okay (still too stiff), but always ends up reverting to stance switching and throwing both hand power straights like Chuck or Wand when he gets hyped &/or slighty fatigued. Any advice would be extremely helpful.

Geographically, the only options for him are TKD and Karate (Jim Kelly kind of stuff). He takes TKD and I handle the other arts (to my best, limited ability) @ home.

Last edited:
Side note/question for you guys - Best way to teach a kid the jab? Mine (5) starts off okay (still too stiff), but always ends up reverting to stance switching and throwing both hand power straights like Chuck or Wand when he gets hyped &/or slighty fatigued. Any advice would be extremely helpful.

Geographically, the only options for him are TKD and Karate (Jim Kelly kind of stuff). He takes TKD and I handle the other arts (to my best, limited ability) @ home.

To be honest mate I am not sure of the capacity for a 5 year old to have fully correct form. When I grew up and seen 5 year olds 'sparring' they did what you describe and none of my old coaches tried to correct it, they just let them get in there and have some fun.

My daughter is 4 and DEMANDS to train with her brother. She insists on hitting the bag or double end bag or my hands but just windmills at me. I dont even try to train her I just say good job (and also please stop hitting me lol).

To be honest mate I am not sure of the capacity for a 5 year old to have fully correct form. When I grew up and seen 5 year olds 'sparring' they did what you describe and none of my old coaches tried to correct it, they just let them get in there and have some fun.

My daughter is 4 and DEMANDS to train with her brother. She insists on hitting the bag or double end bag or my hands but just windmills at me. I dont even try to train her I just say good job (and also please stop hitting me lol).

Funny stuff, and thanks. I was just asking in case there was some 'secret tricks'/exercises that I don't know about that can help...introduce, for lack of a better term... the kind of fluidity that comes with a jab. His form in most other aspects is pretty decent for pretty shit - he's been at it for 2+ years so he's got a grasp of the overall feel of the thing, but everything is power. His hooks have snap, but his jab is always really just a power lead straight (which is hilarious to watch.)

I also have the daughter who wants to mix it up (3 1/2). Awesome feel for grappling and climbing. She's a little jitz monkey type though, and generally strikes as such. I don't put any pressure her because I spend too much time and energy internally going... <Prem973><Prem974><{you!}>

Funny stuff, and thanks. I was just asking in case there was some 'secret tricks'/exercises that I don't know about that can help...introduce, for lack of a better term... the kind of fluidity that comes with a jab. His form in most other aspects is pretty decent for pretty shit - he's been at it for 2+ years so he's got a grasp of the overall feel of the thing, but everything is power. His hooks have snap, but his jab is always really just a power lead straight (which is hilarious to watch.)

I also have the daughter who wants to mix it up (3 1/2). Awesome feel for grappling and climbing. She's a little jitz monkey type though, and generally strikes as such. I don't put any pressure her because I spend too much time and energy internally going... <Prem973><Prem974><{you!}>

@Sinister could help you more since he has his gym and sees tons of kids, I only have my own experience and having the boy. Great to see another pro-active dad on here.

I just want to have my kids work hard both in school and physically. No parent ever complains if they see kids studying for hours at night for schoolwork, yet plenty like to talk shit about kids who are highly active and question if it is too much lol. Smart AND strong for the win!!

@Sinister could help you more since he has his gym and sees tons of kids, I only have my own experience and having the boy. Great to see another pro-active dad on here.

I just want to have my kids work hard both in school and physically. No parent ever complains if they see kids studying for hours at night for schoolwork, yet plenty like to talk shit about kids who are highly active and question if it is too much lol. Smart AND strong for the win!!

1 hr workout (his choice) + 1hr schoolwork(on top of assinged work) + chore completion = 1 hr video games solo or unlimited if we're playing together. By the time he's finished all that and had dinner and showered, he's rolls into the room and within 5 mins he's out.

Not everything in kung fu movies is complete horseshit.<Y2JSmirk>

In a bit of a predicament at the moment for finding kids for my son to spar. At his current gym there's only one his age/size/ability who doesn't show up now. I tried 2 local gyms previously with these results:

gym 1 had a few kids his age but could barely hold their hands up let alone defend/punch (plus the owner was a total prick!)

gym 2 was one I stopped taking him to as they had 6 year old kids windmilling each other with the coach shouting. 'kill him! kill him!'.

Unfortunately the next closest gym is an hour away each direction minimum. I must add I didn't take him to these gyms 'to spar', I took them for him to join and be trained there but didn't much like what I experienced so never returned. And now he's capable of getting into the odd tournament/bout so he needs some sort of sparring. hmm.

You may have noticed in the video I posted that both my Sons are very small. The big one is 5, and he's been "boxing" since around 18mos, punching longer. The little one was closer to 2 before he actually threw a punch. But the thing is, neither of them have ever really been formally taught anything. I don't even want to be their first trainer, they barely listen to me about many things, never mind boxing. I'm just fortunate that there's a couple of good trainers at my gym who'd be happy to start them out. But, before 6 years of age most kids learn best by visual association. Copying. Watching someone do something and figuring out for themselves why they do it. They also MUST feel like they're playing. If it gets too serious, they shut off. Some kids are different and have very intense focus, breaking down each little detail of a thing. But that's pretty rare. So the boxing gym, to my kids, is just like going to a park or something. It's not that serious. This gives them a sense of positivity, the gym is a place they genuinely LIKE. They don't associate it with pain and crap, misery, etc. I hope that lasts, but if they continue to be comfortable there and DO learn the craft (which makes it easier to NOT be hurt there), then they should stay interested. The main thing from me is no pressure. I've seen way too many parents drive their talented and interested kids OUT of the Sport with tremendous pressure and living vicariously. My Sons, at the very least, will get to be their own persons:

In a bit of a predicament at the moment for finding kids for my son to spar. At his current gym there's only one his age/size/ability who doesn't show up now. I tried 2 local gyms previously with these results:

gym 1 had a few kids his age but could barely hold their hands up let alone defend/punch (plus the owner was a total prick!)

gym 2 was one I stopped taking him to as they had 6 year old kids windmilling each other with the coach shouting. 'kill him! kill him!'.

Unfortunately the next closest gym is an hour away each direction minimum. I must add I didn't take him to these gyms 'to spar', I took them for him to join and be trained there but didn't much like what I experienced so never returned. And now he's capable of getting into the odd tournament/bout so he needs some sort of sparring. hmm.

Yeah, it's going to be difficult. It's difficult here and there's 19 gyms or so in Vegas. At the end of the day you're likely going to have to just use the "kill him" place, banking on his technical superiority. Almost everyone here in Vegas does the same thing, because they know there's only so much technical crap kids who are even 8 are willing to process. So windmilling punches is just...what they do. The two kids the kid I train sparred with are taught similarly. The skinnier one in the beginning, his trainer keeps telling everyone that kid is the next Roberto Duran. lol The second one actually has the disposition of a counterpuncher, he WANTS to make defensive moves, he's just not actually being taught any. The one thing these trainers have going for them is that at their ages they can't really hurt each other very bad. You'll likely need to use that to your advantage as well. He'll probably cry a few times out of disappointment and/or frustration, but that's normal. Nothing an ice cream cone and an "I'm proud of how hard you tried and how hard you work" speech won't fix.

You may have noticed in the video I posted that both my Sons are very small. The big one is 5, and he's been "boxing" since around 18mos, punching longer. The little one was closer to 2 before he actually threw a punch. But the thing is, neither of them have ever really been formally taught anything. I don't even want to be their first trainer, they barely listen to me about many things, never mind boxing. I'm just fortunate that there's a couple of good trainers at my gym who'd be happy to start them out. But, before 6 years of age most kids learn best by visual association. Copying. Watching someone do something and figuring out for themselves why they do it. They also MUST feel like they're playing. If it gets too serious, they shut off. Some kids are different and have very intense focus, breaking down each little detail of a thing. But that's pretty rare. So the boxing gym, to my kids, is just like going to a park or something. It's not that serious. This gives them a sense of positivity, the gym is a place they genuinely LIKE. They don't associate it with pain and crap, misery, etc. I hope that lasts, but if they continue to be comfortable there and DO learn the craft (which makes it easier to NOT be hurt there), then they should stay interested. The main thing from me is no pressure. I've seen way too many parents drive their talented and interested kids OUT of the Sport with tremendous pressure and living vicariously. My Sons, at the very least, will get to be their own persons:

Thx for the reply.

I don't really put any pressure on my son regarding detailed technique (unless he asks for some kind of help or explanation of "why does x do y?"), I usually just let him go hog wild on the bags or mitts and remind him when he's getting overly sloppy. At this stage I'm more concerned about him putting in time and building up his strength and fitness, so I encourage him just to do time and work rate. He's got kicking practice that he has to handle for TKD, so it's easy for me to catch him near the end and remind him to not forget about does hanz. I just didn't know if they were any 'Lomachenko games' or tools of that nature for kids their age. I'm more interested in activities that will help keep him interested and learning w/out it feeling like I'm actively teaching him. From the sounds of it, the fact the hes already doing it is a win, so I'll just let him go on as is.

On a related side note I came home last night and the kid started laying into me w/ some solid leg kicks placed perfectly above and below the knee, right in the meat. Then he threw some jabs that were pretty slick for him. Then he blasted me in the jaw w/ a short left hook.

It sounds like your approach is fairly correct. Though I will say that Karate might have translated to boxing better. They do a lot with basic posture (without being acutely aware of it), turning the hips, elbows down, and straight punches. TKD does this as well, just not quite as thoroughly as most forms of Karate do. But yes, if he's interested you're good. Make sure he has proper instruction, be his Dad, win.

Yeah, it's going to be difficult. It's difficult here and there's 19 gyms or so in Vegas. At the end of the day you're likely going to have to just use the "kill him" place, banking on his technical superiority. Almost everyone here in Vegas does the same thing, because they know there's only so much technical crap kids who are even 8 are willing to process. So windmilling punches is just...what they do. The two kids the kid I train sparred with are taught similarly. The skinnier one in the beginning, his trainer keeps telling everyone that kid is the next Roberto Duran. lol The second one actually has the disposition of a counterpuncher, he WANTS to make defensive moves, he's just not actually being taught any. The one thing these trainers have going for them is that at their ages they can't really hurt each other very bad. You'll likely need to use that to your advantage as well. He'll probably cry a few times out of disappointment and/or frustration, but that's normal. Nothing an ice cream cone and an "I'm proud of how hard you tried and how hard you work" speech won't fix.

Thanks mate much appreciated advice, I'm from Northern Ireland and living in Texas so there's a slightly different boxing culture added to the fact I'm in a place where football and baseball are the main sports so hard to know how things really are right now. Thanks for the insight!

Should change this thread to 'The Dad Thread' haha.

So in 14 days the boy has his first fight, then there is another 1 week later... and that will be his lot for the summer. He's insanely excited, which on the day of the fight will change into complete nerves and fear hahaha

On a comedic note, I can't read you guys' screen names without hearing this in my head:

@Sinister I recreated the drill you were doing in the video ref the footwork and it has been working really well.

Here is his cool down from today's session (108 degree weather and inside a garage, lovely!). Day off completely for him tomorrow.

So miscommunication today- I told my wife at 6am to tell the boy not to train this morning cos I wanted him to have a break after a hard training session last night. She slept in and forgot to tell him and he ended up taking himself training this morning lol.

So this is the end of his evening workout and still didn't show signs of slowing down. The regular coach I sometimes take him to wasnt there so this other nice guy took my boy for an hour on the pads. I HAVE CREATED A MACHINE.

Fluid punches, good posture, good control.

Sweet job

Back