Kicking with Bas Rutten

Do you mean that after a check, you drop straight down, your foot into that torqued position? That has crossed my mind but I've never had the confidence or opportunity to try it against a beginner to try it really. If not...

When most people check a kick, they lift their leg straight up and put it right back down exactly where it was before. What he means is, you can put you leg down in a different position to setup your own kick; you can check, then put you leg down forward and/or to the side and go right into a power kick of your own. You're using the check to hide your footwork.

Idk if it's the camera quality or bas's torque but I can't follow that kick. Did he really hit him in the shin to drop him like that or did he hit a more vital point?

it was a liver shot, not sure if it was with the foot or shin but either way still does damage. ill guess more foot with those pads and boots on.

c3770920c8d0d598c16b488844d1069c.gif

That specific kick directly came up to my mind when I read that "Bas doesn't kick like that". Great minds think alike they say ;)

I just can't see the camera frames when he strikes. Either bas is to fast or the translation between platforms fucked it.

Idk if it's the camera quality or bas's torque but I can't follow that kick. Did he really hit him in the shin to drop him like that or did he hit a more vital point?

Bas hit him right in the liver with his foot. His opponent (forgot his name) is not holding his shin because his shin hurts, he's pressing his leg against his liver because of the pain.

Do you mean that after a check, you drop straight down, your foot into that torqued position? That has crossed my mind but I've never had the confidence or opportunity to try it against a beginner to try it really. If not...

Yep, and what aerius said. You drop your foot into that position, and it helps hide your intention. It wont be that much telegraphed. You just need proper balance with the check, the body moving forward, and that may be difficult after a hard check that will make you heavy on the back foot.

These instructionals can be found here:

http://www.basrutteninstructionals.com

He covers everything including submissions, GnP and striking. You can also just buy the sections you want and not bother with the ground game.

I've bought all the stand up oriented vids and they are pretty good. I don't agree with some of the stuff he says but there is a lot of beneficial stuff in there. For instance I don't use his stance all the time but I do implement it to corner my opponent, as a square stance offers better lateral movement.

Worth a look if your looking for more.

That specific kick directly came up to my mind when I read that "Bas doesn't kick like that". Great minds think alike they say ;)

Dude has nasty kicks that he learned from his Kyokushin and Muay Thai days. He dropped Funaki iirc with kick while in Fudo Dachi [aka Neutral stance. Both legs are parallel to each other. Not the traditional one leg in front fighting stance] once you learn to engage your hips into the techniques you'll be throwing sledgehammers regardless of stance.

Who kicks like that in an actual fight? It's telegraphed a mile away.

Muay Thai fighters. He's over dramatizing it first so viewers can get the idea of what they're supposed to do. When kicks the pad he's more normal with it. Obviously once you got the idea down you'll be able to execute it alot faster.

These instructionals can be found here:

http://www.basrutteninstructionals.com

He covers everything including submissions, GnP and striking. You can also just buy the sections you want and not bother with the ground game.

I've bought all the stand up oriented vids and they are pretty good. I don't agree with some of the stuff he says but there is a lot of beneficial stuff in there. For instance I don't use his stance all the time but I do implement it to corner my opponent, as a square stance offers better lateral movement.

Worth a look if your looking for more.

This was originally titled Extreme Pancrase when it was published under Century Martial Arts [they had alot of great BJJ and MMA vids back in the day] it was later re-released as Extreme MMA after he left Pancrase.

Back