Kicking the calf vs kicking the thigh, which is the better leg kick technique?

I'll go with thigh, but they both suck..

dczgwo.gif
Ok yes that’s fuckin brutal. But also
None of this is true.

1) The size of the thigh offers no protection (you typically target the spot right above the knee anyway - inside or out)

2) 'bracing' (assuming you mean planting and flexing alone) will simply add to the impact. The more weight you have on the leg, the more devastating the impact will be. Raising to check is the only viable defense.
thats not true. You can certainly brace and absorb impact better. Part is catching the impact earlier and part is stopping the full force.

Remember, my question is which one does more damage and affects movement quicker.

If you consider that aspect alone then thigh. In terms of overall effectiveness, calf kicks are easier to land and don't put you at risk of getting caught and taken down (much less so than kicking the thigh anyway).

I would think it would be hard to effectively aim at the calf without catching a lot of shin

Also isn’t there not nearly as much power because you can’t really turn over the hip aiming that low?

I imagine at the lower levels of combat an inside leg kick would be the best option due to how much it can string a rookie opponent.

The highest level is much different. If you got leg kicks like Justin Gaethje, you can kick wherever is convenient and bring the pain.

I remember Benson Henderson being a fighter who used that calf kick often and effectively.

None of this is true.

1) The size of the thigh offers no protection (you typically target the spot right above the knee anyway - inside or out)

2) 'bracing' (assuming you mean planting and flexing alone) will simply add to the impact. The more weight you have on the leg, the more devastating the impact will be. Raising to check is the only viable defense.
No, bracing reduces impact. You're making your thigh harder and you're also in position to counter with a right hand.

I would think it would be hard to effectively aim at the calf without catching a lot of shin

Also isn’t there not nearly as much power because you can’t really turn over the hip aiming that low?
Its a lower risk for checking because people raise their legs when checking. Also, even if you kicked the shin, you're kicking the lower part of their shin. Avoiding the hardest part of their leg.

I've never seen a high level Thai boxer wilt from eating calf kicks. In fact, they are rarely used in MT. Conditioning does wonders.

Something that is similar is the cut kick; a kick that powers under a lead leg (raised to block) and takes out the back leg. Of course, no one checks kicks in MMA so the opportunity may not arise very often.
You haven't seen a high level Muay Thai fighter wilt from them because no one is using those kicks and no one is throwing them coz its not even a traditional muay thai technique. It seems harder to check, impossible to catch and brace for and even if checked, you kick the lower and weakest part of the opponent's shin

Thigh hurts more but it's easier to catch, and to counter with a takedown or a counter punch

It's a risk reward thing, the thigh kicks will do more damage to your opponent but are a riskier strike but the calf kicks are more difficult to defend and are easier to rack up cleanly without putting yourself at risk

Now if you'll excuse me, Im gonna watch Rory McDonald vs Douglas Lima followed by Jeremy Stephens vs Gilbert.

Calf is dangerous as its easier to check. In MMA though barely anybody checks lowkicks so hence why they've been so successful

I imagine at the lower levels of combat an inside leg kick would be the best option due to how much it can string a rookie opponent.

The highest level is much different. If you got leg kicks like Justin Gaethje, you can kick wherever is convenient and bring the pain.

I remember Benson Henderson being a fighter who used that calf kick often and effectively.

Yeah he hurt Frankie with it pretty effectively in the first round of their rematch

Got boxed up for 4 rounds after that and the decision was a terrible robbery, but that first round was a great display of calf kicking

Thigh hurts more but it's easier to catch, and to counter with a takedown or a counter punch

It's a risk reward thing, the thigh kicks will do more damage to your opponent but are a riskier strike but the calf kicks are more difficult to defend and are easier to rack up cleanly without putting yourself at risk
Near perfect answer. I think Imma use the calf kuck more often because I kick hard either way, and as we've seen before, calf kicks definitely do serious damage too. Stephens vs Melendez and Lima vs McDonald are good examples.

Calf is dangerous as its easier to check. In MMA though barely anybody checks lowkicks so hence why they've been so successful
How is it easier to check when people are used to lifting their leg up to check. Also, even when they check you're kicking the lowest and weakest part of their shin.

Conditioning does wonders.
This is the real answer. Some guys condition their body and legs so they can absorb more. At the end of training we pair up with someone else and throw ten body kicks to each side, and then ten across the front. Then we do ten outside kicks and ten inside kicks followed by ten lower ones and inside lower ones. We don’t start out full force but when you get with someone that’s been doing it forever you can kick much harder.

You see a huge difference with guys that’ll get kicked in the liver hard as fuck and keep walking forward like nothing happened, or guys like matt brown who get kicked there once and cover up. It surprises me that everyone on that high of a level isn’t doing this conditioning more.

Calf kicks seem to be able to cause immediate nerve damage, as seen in cejudo vs mighty mouse and Chandler vs primus in bellator. Both those fights the nerve seemed to be affected and both cejudo and Chandler where unable to lift their foot thus those weird looking rolls.

I'm surprised you get away with it so much in sparring TS if your against Muay Thai guys. I do think people can get complacent when using shin pads though and take for granted how much shin to shin hurts.

The bottom line is people get away with calf kicks in MMA compared to Muay Thai because of stance. In MMA the majority of fighters stances are sideways and bladed with the front foot turned inwards. This allows almost free thigh or calf kicks because the kick will likely land before the person can lift the supporting leg and turn it outside towards the kick to check.

Basically if you have the chance to kick a unchecked calf or thigh- the calf is going to get fucked up quicker because of its diminutive size in comparison.
However if your fighting someone with a muay thai stance the likelihood is there lead leg will be square or turned outwards ready to lift and check at any moment. Slamming a kick into someones shin at a 90 degree angle doesn't feel good for anyone involved.

Tldr: calf kicks work in MMA because of bladed stance and lack of kick checking technique. You'll likely break your foot pretty fast against anyone with decent thai technique.

Back