Kickboxing Sparring

Witch one are you, and what are the rules? (no low kicks?)

Black gloves guy has to much of a boxing style for my liking. Both hands glue to chin, bob and weave, heavy squared stance...

I'm assuming you're black gloves, because red gloves doesn't seem like he needs much advice. So if you are black gloves, I've gotta say you're not easily scared but the best advice I can give is talk to that sparring partner of yours and get him to show you some stuff because he has great balance and punching form.

Keeping your hands up is fine and so is the head movement, but you want to do it more subtly, when you weave under a hook you should only drop by about 3-5 inches, but the risk of a knee is NOT as common as sherdoggers make out. You're more likely to be hit by an uppercut, so worry about that more.

What I would say is that you tend to move your hands outwards towards your opponents punches, rather than letting the punch come to you and parrying it. Those arms don't need to be extended to deflect those punches and all you're doing is leaving your face more open for the next shot.

Aside from that, keep sparring. You'll get more comfortable as you go.

I'm assuming you're black gloves, because red gloves doesn't seem like he needs much advice. So if you are black gloves, I've gotta say you're not easily scared but the best advice I can give is talk to that sparring partner of yours and get him to show you some stuff because he has great balance and punching form.

Keeping your hands up is fine and so is the head movement, but you want to do it more subtly, when you weave under a hook you should only drop by about 3-5 inches, but the risk of a knee is NOT as common as sherdoggers make out. You're more likely to be hit by an uppercut, so worry about that more.

What I would say is that you tend to move your hands outwards towards your opponents punches, rather than letting the punch come to you and parrying it. Those arms don't need to be extended to deflect those punches and all you're doing is leaving your face more open for the next shot.

Aside from that, keep sparring. You'll get more comfortable as you go.

Black gloves guy has to much of a boxing style for my liking. Both hands glue to chin, bob and weave, heavy squared stance...

I am the one with the red gloves but i will mention that to the other guy thanks for the feedback.

I am red gloves and leg kicks were allowed but not knees or elbows.

I am the one with the red gloves but i will mention that to the other guy thanks for the feedback.

Alright cool, my mistake. Honestly I'd say your striking looks really smooth and balanced. I don't think I can really help much by commenting on that sparring video because I do feel you outclass your partner a little bit. If you could record a video with someone closer to your level or more experienced than you, I could see that helping us critique a lot more

Alright cool, my mistake. Honestly I'd say your striking looks really smooth and balanced. I don't think I can really help much by commenting on that sparring video because I do feel you outclass your partner a little bit. If you could record a video with someone closer to your level or more experienced than you, I could see that helping us critique a lot more

alright thanks will do

leg kicks were allowed

-So where are they? Both of you had a lot of opportunities to blast a low kick, specially the way you are circling.
-A lot of times he bobs and weaves... Make him pay. Throw a punch to make him bent in the inside the throw the roundhouse. What he does at 2:10 should be punished.
-Also when he does that, he is heavy on his feet, that means he wont be able to check the low/mid kicks.
-Your control jab should be faster. Don't make it lazy, you will pay for it.
-More mix punches/kicks. You either single kick, or do a a punch combo. Mix it...finish your combos with a kick for example (and that will tag him every time he drops his head to avoid the punch)
-Your circling movement is too predictable and too long. You may have trouble against a good low kicker.
-AND WHERE ARE THE FOKING TEEPS?

Anyway good job man, keep it up.

-So where are they? Both of you had a lot of opportunities to blast a low kick, specially the way you are circling.
-A lot of times he bobs and weaves... Make him pay. Throw a punch to make him bent in the inside the throw the roundhouse. What he does at 2:10 should be punished.
-Also when he does that, he is heavy on his feet, that means he wont be able to check the low/mid kicks.
-Your control jab should be faster. Don't make it lazy, you will pay for it.
-More mix punches/kicks. You either single kick, or do a a punch combo. Mix it...finish your combos with a kick for example (and that will tag him every time he drops his head to avoid the punch)
-Your circling movement is too predictable and too long. You may have trouble against a good low kicker.
-AND WHERE ARE THE FOKING TEEPS?

Anyway good job man, keep it up.

Thanks man i appreciate all the feedback. Both of us come from a karate background so thats why we dont really throw leg kicks just not used to them but will definitely start to impliment that amongst the other things you said.

Nice spar. Just a few things.

- your choice of when you throw the left hook seem kinda random and out of place.

- you did a "lowkick" that landed on hus hip. Never do that. In light sparring like this, you should be able to hit the correct spot. Tight, back of knee, or calf.

- when you do your rolling block (aka crazy monkey block), you roll too far. Its like: please hit my body.

But you look good. Fluid. Keep up the good training.

Nice spar. Just a few things.

- your choice of when you throw the left hook seem kinda random and out of place.

- you did a "lowkick" that landed on hus hip. Never do that. In light sparring like this, you should be able to hit the correct spot. Tight, back of knee, or calf.

- when you do your rolling block (aka crazy monkey block), you roll too far. Its like: please hit my body.

But you look good. Fluid. Keep up the good training.

Thanks for the advice i appreciate it ill work on that

Add in combinations and leg kicks. Maybe try to play in the pocket. Like others said smooth and controlled which is ideal for a sparring partner.

Add in combinations and leg kicks. Maybe try to play in the pocket. Like others said smooth and controlled which is ideal for a sparring partner.

Definitely will start to add that in thanks for the feedback.

I agree with alot of the advice given so far, Id also keep and eye on your footwork, they find themselves in a bad spot here and there. Looks really good though nice job!

your partner is moving like tippy toe bj. im scared for him

Change up your direction. It seems like you are circling to your left into his power side.

One of my faves was to work to the right in orthodox and when he chases your open side with his power use his momentum to counter into his open side. Or switch southpaw in the direction you are moving in the clip letting him get lulled into the same type of opening up and tag him from southpaw power side.

My experience is TKD based so my footwork and movement is always more active. moving forward then trying to draw him in as I move back and switch directions to counter strike to add power from his momentum...

If he's shielding up with his hands like that pepper him with leg kicks and liver shots. Make him move his hands to defend. He already has that habit so exploit it and when he drops his hands tag him. I saw a nice uppercut that caught him open, same sort of process but make it purposeful from you tactically setting him up...

I'm assuming you guys train together a lot?

Keep working and sharing knowledge and tricks. Having a good dedicated sparring/randori/rolling partner is worth its weight in gold. When he gets better that forces you to get better to overcome his progress.

Good stuff!

I agree with alot of the advice given so far, Id also keep and eye on your footwork, they find themselves in a bad spot here and there. Looks really good though nice job!

your partner is moving like tippy toe bj. im scared for him
haha thanks for the feedback man

Change up your direction. It seems like you are circling to your left into his power side.

One of my faves was to work to the right in orthodox and when he chases your open side with his power use his momentum to counter into his open side. Or switch southpaw in the direction you are moving in the clip letting him get lulled into the same type of opening up and tag him from southpaw power side.

My experience is TKD based so my footwork and movement is always more active. moving forward then trying to draw him in as I move back and switch directions to counter strike to add power from his momentum...

If he's shielding up with his hands like that pepper him with leg kicks and liver shots. Make him move his hands to defend. He already has that habit so exploit it and when he drops his hands tag him. I saw a nice uppercut that caught him open, same sort of process but make it purposeful from you tactically setting him up...

I'm assuming you guys train together a lot?

Keep working and sharing knowledge and tricks. Having a good dedicated sparring/randori/rolling partner is worth its weight in gold. When he gets better that forces you to get better to overcome his progress.

Good stuff!
thanks for all of the advice i appreciate it and yea we try to as much as we can it helps a lot

are you mma or muay thai? im guessing mma? try to follow your punches with a kick. good job and keep training!

Back