Khabib vs Maia - Who wins the grappling?

5 years ago Maia beats him.easily ....... now no he has trouble even getting a td now..

Usman, Woodley, and Colby are just way better wrestlers than anyone he faced in his run to the title shots...and all were short-notice really.

I think he stiil beats any WW besides those 3 and Askren. Askren's striking is bad too though.

Fighters have survived having Maia on top of them (and in MMA, Maia's top game is better then his guard) many times. Fighters have survived being in Maia's guard more then not survived. This isn't Royce in the 90s where no one knows how to stop him. Chances of a high level MMA grappler like Khabib getting subbed from guard are slim to none. Even from old man Maia. We are not talking about prime MW Maia here, who BTW was smothered by Weidman and Munoz

He wasn't smothered by either of those guys. He easily got up when Weidman took him down and slapped a crucifix on Munoz. They were ugly stand up fights.

So, arguably the greatest BJJ practitioner in the UFC gets out-grappled by a fighter significantly smaller than him? Hmm.

Khabib is 10-0 in the UFC. Based on my algorithm with GSP as the baseline for GOAT contention, Khabib is an upper-tier great fighter, and he is 3 consecutive wins away from entering GOAT contention (in my opinion).

So, I obviously have a high standard for quality. I am always challenging people saying Fedor, BJ Penn, TRT Vitor and many other fighters with questionable records are in GOAT contention.
... What? Who other than GSP and Jones have a better record/resume than Fedor? He's top 3 all-time at worst.

Anyway, Khabib may be 10-0 in the UFC, but how many of those opponents have a top-notch guard? RDA is more of a positional BJJ guy than a guy with crazy subs off his back. I think Tony could give Khabib worlds of trouble on the ground. But Maia would strangle him for sure if Khabib chose to take it there. He's the bigger man and the better grappler. As mentioned earlier, the man ragdolled Chael FFS.

Maia would sweep him. There's a reason Colby and Usman avoided the ground.

Khabib failed to take down Tibau.
That was before Khabib joined AKA. Not to mention that Tibau was juiced beyond belief and has some of the TDD ever.

Could go either way but if Khabib initiates the TD and stays out of Maia's guard then he can win. It'd be rough but Khabib could pull it off.
So you think Khabib is just going to slam him down into side control? How else do you imagine him initiating the TD and avoiding the guard? You all realize Khabib likely wouldn't even be able to take Maia down, right? And if he did, it would be the end of the fight.

I'd favor Khabib's sambo/catch style over Maia's in a pure grappling match. Strict BJJ is almost becoming outdated. But then again I haven't seen enough of Maia's grappling game to know if he's strictly that or if he knows more. All the respect to Maia, though. But, IMO, Elite Catch Wrestling style grappler vs Elite Old School BJJ typically favors the Catch guy.
OK, now we're picking Khabib in a straight grappling match?? WTF, people

Yea, Khabib could get Maia down but then he would get sub'ed, almost guaranteed. I say that because I've seen an interview with Frank Mir who is a HW talking about how Maia taps everyone, all the way up to Heavyweight. Khabib is a LW, he would be F'ed.

Nothing but quicksand awaits you if you touch any part of the ground or leave a loose limb or exposed back, neck it's hell after that...

Maia would sweep him. There's a reason Colby and Usman avoided the ground.

Khabib failed to take down Tibau.

I highly doubt Maia could sweep Khabib. All in all, Khabib would be the best grappler he's ever been in there with. Tibau is a bad point, although he's slightly smaller than Maia, he's HEAVILY muscles and a great grappler. Guys like him are ridiculously hard to take down

You could say that. However, I have decided to move away from that way of thinking. This is why I only consider UFC records, because it allows me to say that "Fighter A and Fighter B both fought opponents from the same talent pool" and that adjusts for a lot subjective interpretation of the data.

If you fight in the LW division of the UFC, then you are fighting in the same pool as your competitors, so I can say with a higher degree of confidence that if you have a better record than your competitors, then you are better than them.

Using that hall of fame argument seems weak to me, because it is based on hyped-nostalgia. For example BJ Penn is a HOFmer, but his record doesn't reflect this. He has the record of an average fighter.

Also, Kelvin Gastelum is beating a lot of HOFmers who are on their way out, so if we are just going by brand-recognition, we are going to downplay the context of Gastelum's recent wins. Another example, Jon Jones went through a gauntlet of HOFmers, but when you look at those HOFmers, they have atrocious UFC records.

It gets too confusing and subjective. I have decided I will look at it this way:
1) Your dominance must have occurred after 2009/2010 and inside a UFC cage under variations of the MMA unified rules. Why after 2009/2010? Because that is when the sport of MMA was standardized, and now we know MMA is fundamentally cage fighting using variations of the Unified rules. So, I don't even consider ring MMA with other rules as the same sport as the MMA we have today. This is a logical stance.

If you are a fighter from a previous era of MMA or an in-betweener like GSP, then your dominance must have carried past 2009/2010 and inside a UFC cage under variations of the MMA unified rules.

2) If you meet the basic requirement of UFC fighter after 2009/2010, then you must have at least 13 consecutive wins in the UFC (I don't care who you fought). Why 13 wins? Because that is GSP's current longest winning streak and he is the standard. Why is GSP the standard? Because he is the least controversial of all GOAT contenders. So, whatever he did, is the baseline for me. Consequently, if GSP continues to fight and win, that bar will be raised higher and higher.

I give fighters extra points if those consecutive wins were title fights. This is how I separate the GOATs from the GOATs. So, the GOAT of all GOATs will have 13 consecutive title fight wins.

I apply this algorithm to all fighters. So, how I feel about a certain fighter doesn't matter. I don't care if you molested little babies, if you meet this criteria, I will defend your GOAT status against anybody who dares to challenge it.
I agree that GSP is the best to ever do it (though part of me still wants to crown Fedor just cause of dat aura), but this is just a terrible, terrible way of reaching that conclusion. Is Usman only five wins away from GOAT status because he's 8-0 in the UFC? Hell no. It's not as simple as just wins and losses in MMA.

I highly doubt Maia could sweep Khabib. All in all, Khabib would be the best grappler he's ever been in there with. Tibau is a bad point, although he's slightly smaller than Maia, he's HEAVILY muscles and a great grappler. Guys like him are ridiculously hard to take down
Uh, yeah... Chael, Teh Chris, Gunnar Nelson and Jake Shields would like a word...

I agree that GSP is the best to ever do it (though part of me still wants to crown Fedor just cause of dat aura), but this is just a terrible, terrible way of reaching that conclusion. Is Usman only five wins away from GOAT status because he's 8-0 in the UFC? Hell no. It's not as simple as just wins and losses in MMA.
If he is 5 wins away from GOAT status, then he is 5 wins away from GOAT status. Personal feelings should be limited as much as possible.

At the end of the day, the numbers (if measured with validity and reliability) don't lie. I will measure my opinion against valid and reliable numbers than against popular opinion.

So you think Khabib is just going to slam him down into side control? How else do you imagine him initiating the TD and avoiding the guard? You all realize Khabib likely wouldn't even be able to take Maia down, right? And if he did, it would be the end of the fight.
To answer your first question, yes, it is possible and well within Khabib's abilities but it would not be easy.

Onto your second question, Khabib can land directly in side control or half guard with ta number of trips and throws. He uses these in many of his fights and the consistently get the desired result. He does not spend much time in guard at all.

Your next question is rhetorical but needs to be addressed anyway, as it is false. Maia has been taken down by Shields, Nelson, and Yakovlev at WW. Nelson and Yako are not only worse grapplers than Khabib, they are not particularly special TD artist. Not to mention that Gunnar is a small WW, about Khabib's size. Khabib could absolutely get Maia down. Besides, Maia likely wouldn't resist much as he aims to go to the ground anyway.

Finally, he doesn't need a finish. He just needs to win on activity and control.

Maia is WAY bigger than Khabib, with a sick ground game.

He would beat Khabib in the grappling exchanges.

He's not that much bigger, though:

Here's khabib's father talking about Khabib's weight and why the move to WW is inevitable

khe.png

And Here is maia talking about his weight for Welterweight

“Now I’m not going to have to lose so much weight; I’m just going to cut the same as everyone else does and perform better. I’m weighing 88.5 kilos (195 lbs) right now; I’ll keep at 86 kg and do what everyone else in the division does, which is to drop to 77 kg by fight time,” added Demian, who hopes to get his Jiu-Jitsu to flow in the new division.

“If you look back at my results from when I’d compete in Jiu-Jitsu and my first fights in the UFC, they were great. And I’d normally weigh 86 kilos at that time. It was the time when I came up with the best results. So I hope I can get back to imposing my Jiu-Jitsu again; the battle with the scale doesn’t scare me.”

http://www.graciemag.com/en/2012/03/21/demian-maias-lesson-in-dropping-weight-in-the-ufc/

Maia seems bigger than he is because he has a lanky frame and has that old man grip strength that surprise people, but he's an average WW in terms of weight.

As for a grappling match-up, I'd favor Maia under all rules except MMA grappling, which involves striking, even then I think it would be a toss up.

To answer your first question, yes, it is possible and well within Khabib's abilities but it would not be easy.

Onto your second question, Khabib can land directly in side control or half guard with ta number of trips and throws. He uses these in many of his fights and the consistently get the desired result. He does not spend much time in guard at all.

Your next question is rhetorical but needs to be addressed anyway, as it is false. Maia has been taken down by Shields, Nelson, and Yakovlev at WW. Nelson and Yako are not only worse grapplers than Khabib, they are not particularly special TD artist. Not to mention that Gunnar is a small WW, about Khabib's size. Khabib could absolutely get Maia down. Besides, Maia likely wouldn't resist much as he aims to go to the ground anyway.

Finally, he doesn't need a finish. He just needs to win on activity and control.
Stopped reading at "Nelson is a worse grappler than Khabib"

Hahahaha what...?

Maia has been in the cage (and beat/submitted) better grapplers than Khabib.

Back