Khabib vs. Gary Tonon / Jake Shields

Shields outgrapples Khabib and outstrikes him to a 30-27 loss, just like Tibau did to Khabib.

Jake would fair better - but at this stage is not his best.

tonon is a newb to mma and would get his shit pushed in.

Garry Tonon's boxing looked slick in his debut fight in ONE. No slouch whatsoever.

Shields is one of the most proven welterweights in the history of the sport.

IMO the second best resume behind Georges.

In his prime, Shields is a nightmare matchup for Khabib. There is no reason to think Khabib is the favorite. Currently, Shields is well out of his prime so its a moot point.

Shields is a big guy. Him vs khalabeeb is interesting

He did not outwrestle Tyron Woodley. He actually missed on 18 takedown attempts, landing none. The only reason he won that fight was because of Woodley's lackadaisical attitude about pushing the pace.
The Hendo he outgrappled was pretty much flopping to his back in exhaustion by that point.

Shields is a great grappler and all, but let's not rewrite history to fit some narrative.

For the record, I think Garry Tonon beats Khabib in pure grappling. I think Shields is a tossup in MMA.

I agree

Sherdog has gone full retard again. Jesus. Obviously this is a fantasy matchup, and there is no way to know the exact outcome. But given all the evidence at our disposal, Jake shields would beat Khabib.

Jake Shields has been a one dimensional fighter his entire career, and has been able to beat Sakurai, Okami, Condit, Lawler, Mayhem, Hendo, Woodley and Maia

I've bolded the fighters that are much bigger than Khabib and known for their wrestling/grappling.

Khabib has beaten Michael Johnson, Barboza and Rafael Dos Anjos. And has a 45% career takedown success rate. Cut the shit already lol

Woodley, Lawler, and Okami are the only ones of that bunch that have good TDD. The rest have always been taken down pretty much at will. Yes, even Hendo (his defensive wrestling is awful).

If Shields gets on top, I would suspect its hard for basically anyone in MMA to get out. He has amazing control in his top game. With that said, if he was on bottom, he would be finished by Khabib, or at least held down against his will for the entirety of the round.

Tonon is actually more interesting on the ground because he is much better off his back and with leglocks than Jake. I don't know if his top game in MMA would be quite as good as Jake's, but, I think overall, he has a better chance of pulling off a hail mary sub than Shields does of controlling Khabib.

R
Fictional premise. Weight is at 170lbs. MMA rules.

The fight hits the ground. Who does better against Khabib using GNP and submissions? Could Jake or Gary finish Khabib?
Really? This isn't even a question. Khabib beats Tonin and Shields one after another without a break. You're talking MMA.

We all know how it would go:
images

Tonon would be beat easily. Khabib would control and dominate him on the ground with GnP

Sir. Go have a nap.
I’m wide awake, you sir are still dreaming. No way in hell Tonin or Shields is beating Khabib in MMA. No BJJ black belt but continues to beat legit BJJ black belts. Try to remember, this is MMA not a grappling tourney

I like Shields but his wrestling is awful. Khabib could either keep it standing and outstrike him or just take him down and neutralize him to a UD win.

I love Garry Tonon, but he would tell you that Khabib as of now would demolish him. He could KO him standing if he wanted, jiu jitsu isn't magic.

Khabib destroys him in stand up. Gary can not take khabib down, only if khabib wants he will go to ground to much superior wrestling, and on ground, khabib wins also via Gnp.

Back