Khabib vs. Gary Tonon / Jake Shields

FinalConflict2005

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Fictional premise. Weight is at 170lbs. MMA rules.

The fight hits the ground. Who does better against Khabib using GNP and submissions? Could Jake or Gary finish Khabib?

BJJ is a whole different world when someone’s anchoring down and throwing GnP at your head.

Jake Shields is a decent wrestler but Khabibs is on another level. Plus Shields isn’t much of a guard player. I’d EASILY favor Khabib over Tonon and slightly over Shields.

i don't think it's fair to include Tonon here. I mean in grappling yeah it's all him but he just started mma and we really don't know how he would react to Khabib taking him down and adding GnP. Shields is an animal, he could probably snatch up Khabibs neck and he's a lot bigger. Shields would definitely do better but not sure if he even beats Khabib

Last edited:
Khabib probably wins in MMA. Remember Chad Mendes shutting down Jeff Glover's submission game at SUG, imagine if he could throw GnP

Khabibs style is perfect for mma. Jake shields isnt gonna finish khabib. Garry Tonon’s grappling in mma is going to be something we find out about real soon. He looked great in his first fight but that doesnt really tell us much. Also he gets his leg lock attacks from the bottom position usually so even if he is outwrestled he can be in a good position to finish. Only time will tell with that though.

Sherdog has gone full retard again. Jesus. Obviously this is a fantasy matchup, and there is no way to know the exact outcome. But given all the evidence at our disposal, Jake shields would beat Khabib.

Jake Shields has been a one dimensional fighter his entire career, and has been able to beat Sakurai, Okami, Condit, Lawler, Mayhem, Hendo, Woodley and Maia

I've bolded the fighters that are much bigger than Khabib and known for their wrestling/grappling.

Khabib has beaten Michael Johnson, Barboza and Rafael Dos Anjos. And has a 45% career takedown success rate. Cut the shit already lol

I would not count shields out, great grappler and bigger than Kabib.

He'd easily beat Tonon due to him having 0 MMA experience.
And would have a super boring fight with Jake Shields with a Split Decision for someone.

BJJ is a whole different world when someone’s anchoring down and throwing GnP at your head.

Jake Shields is a decent wrestler but Khabibs is on another level. Plus Shields isn’t much of a guard player. I’d EASILY favor Khabib over Tonon and slightly over Shields.

Im still not sold on Khabib yet.

Shields is probably the most underrated fighter there is, because he just looks so mediocre in all his fights, his striking looka aweful, his wrestling looks mediocre and his BJJ looks good but nothing special.

But then you look at who he beat.

I mean he outwrestled Tyron Woodley, controled Damien Maia easily on the ground, tapped Dilon Danis, out wrestled Hendo, submitted Robbie Lawler, bmout wrestled Yushin Okami.

Nothing Khabib has done really compare when we take into account the level of competition they faced.

There is a reason why GSP gets praised, not because he outwrestled Nick Diaz and Carlos Condit, but because he outarestled Josh Koscheck, Jon Fitch, and Matt Hughes.

Aldo gets praise for showing great TDD against Frankie Edgar and Chad Mendes.

Khabib gets praise for outwrestling RDA and Edson Barboza...

I'm the furthest thing from a Shields fan, but i wouldn't bet against him.

Neither of those guys are "way bigger" than khabib.
I think the longer it goes the better chance khabib stands against both of them. Gary Tonan is a monster though and Khabib would try to keep him standing up. Same with Damian maia, khabib would try to strike with him, and people are retarded if they think that would be a grappling-heavy match

Im still not sold on Khabib yet.

Shields is probably the most underrated fighter there is, because he just looks so mediocre in all his fights, his striking looka aweful, his wrestling looks mediocre and his BJJ looks good but nothing special.

But then you look at who he beat.

I mean he outwrestled Tyron Woodley, controled Damien Maia easily on the ground, tapped Dilon Danis, out wrestled Hendo, submitted Robbie Lawler, bmout wrestled Yushin Okami.

Nothing Khabib has done really compare when we take into account the level of competition they faced.

There is a reason why GSP gets praised, not because he outwrestled Nick Diaz and Carlos Condit, but because he outarestled Josh Koscheck, Jon Fitch, and Matt Hughes.

Aldo gets praise for showing great TDD against Frankie Edgar and Chad Mendes.

Khabib gets praise for outwrestling RDA and Edson Barboza...
He did not outwrestle Tyron Woodley. He actually missed on 18 takedown attempts, landing none. The only reason he won that fight was because of Woodley's lackadaisical attitude about pushing the pace.
The Hendo he outgrappled was pretty much flopping to his back in exhaustion by that point.

Shields is a great grappler and all, but let's not rewrite history to fit some narrative.

For the record, I think Garry Tonon beats Khabib in pure grappling. I think Shields is a tossup in MMA.

Khabib beats them both in MMA. The answer to Khabib is forcing him to stand and trade. If you're close to the same size you won't beat him with BJJ since Khabib doesn't fight chest-to-chest. There's no opportunity for control because he's got several ways of posturing up to land GnP.

Sherdog has gone full retard again. Jesus. Obviously this is a fantasy matchup, and there is no way to know the exact outcome. But given all the evidence at our disposal, Jake shields would beat Khabib.

Jake Shields has been a one dimensional fighter his entire career, and has been able to beat Sakurai, Okami, Condit, Lawler, Mayhem, Hendo, Woodley and Maia

I've bolded the fighters that are much bigger than Khabib and known for their wrestling/grappling.

Khabib has beaten Michael Johnson, Barboza and Rafael Dos Anjos. And has a 45% career takedown success rate. Cut the shit already lol

Prime Shields gives Khabib all sorts of trouble for sure. But the guy who was dry humped by Jon Fitch in a WSOF card would lose.

I'd say Tonan stands no chance. Shields has a pretty nice mix of bjj and wrestling that could make things interesting though...

Exactly. MMA grappling is not the same as regular grappling. If it was then GSP would have no chance against D1 wrestlers and DC would be ragdolling Jones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back