Khabib vs Conor neck crank

agreed, the control and pressure that top wrestlers bring to the table is something you down know until you feel it. its not one of those skills you can observe clearly like Machida's crane kick or GSP's duck-under double leg.
I’ve found bjj guys really never get it till they actually try to escape to their feet against a wrestler

It’s not about Cohension, it’s about Conor being a princess And practice bully
Yeah. I get the feeling Conor is at the stage where he doesn’t want to get too rekt/uncomfortable when training grappling. Seems like Danis always just lets him work, instead of owning him.

Which isn’t necessarily a bad thing all the time

Yeah. I get the feeling Conor is at the stage where he doesn’t want to get too rekt/uncomfortable when training grappling. Seems like Danis always just lets him work, instead of owning him.

Which isn’t necessarily a bad thing all the time
It had way more negatives than benefits and I get the impression Conor has always been like that

They just don’t find it that important apparently. John kavanaugh said he chooses training partners on how well they gel with the team. And when Rogan suggested bringing in high level wrestlers to prepare for the possible rematch he kind of shrugged it off.
They really did/do believe that since Danis fights at 170 that it’s enough...

There were also rumors that Burroughs was invited to SBG but he turned it down

isn't it also the case that Conor doesn't even train anywhere near full-time/year-round with Danis anyway?

so it would be interesting to know exactly who Conor does regularly train with, and who among them (if any) would be considered "elite level". clearly he could afford to fly in whoever he wants, for however long...but does he?

speaking of 'elite black belts', I guess I just got mine here today, talking about Conor. how...sad :D

Yeah just found the finish here:

When he reaches for the hands at ~11 seconds it looks like he's going for the grip.

I'll have to watch fight again, but IMHO I felt like Conor was trying a lot harder not to get taken down in Round 4.

Round 1 he just accepted the takedown, and worked off his back.

I've trained with eastern european guys who have no trouble finishing the rnc through your chin.

They'll literally smash your own jawbone into the neck and your carotid body.

This is very much one of those situations where the defense is "don't be there, if you're there you already fucked up".

Dat pressure.

Ninja edit: and for the record, it isn't a jaw/neck crank. You get blood choked by your mandible being driven THROUGH your neck towards your spine, fuck any vessels in the way.

Last edited:

There's some stuff in there about the neck crank. 20 minutes long but I learned a bit from it. Conor did bring in a wrestling elite for sure. Should've focused more on Jujitsu than trying to counter an elite wrestler with intermediate wrestling skills as the guy said in the video.

Isn’t it more of a jaw crush than a neck crank? Jaw crushes are usually easy to defend when you have the energy to hand fight but Conor was done.

Eh that dude makes it sound like putting khabib in a crucifix woulda solved all ofconors problems.
The crucifix is a position that takes a lot of practice to get good at. And I’m sure khabib has seen it before. It’s used a decent amount in sambo.
Conor tried to grab the far arm for the crucifix, good chance khabib breaks the grip and ends up on top in side control.
Bad news for conor

I really don't think Conor did that badly.

The turning point was when he got dropped in Round 2.
Otherwise he was doing really well on the ground—he didn't really take any damage in Round 1 and he arguably won Round 3.

And in Round 4, he gave his back because he was trying not to get taken down.
Then Khabib dragged him down, back mount -> escape -> full mount and Conor went for broke.

I think the Diaz fight was a lot more of a "broken" moment. This wasn't IMHO.

This is a very solid take. Though I also don't know that he 'broke' per se in the Diaz fight, I think he knew he was about to get KOed so he took a shot. Yeah, it was panic wrestling, but was it really worse than continuing to stand there and eat 1-2s? If nothing else it shows that he was still trying *something* even when he was on queer street.

Eh that dude makes it sound like putting khabib in a crucifix woulda solved all ofconors problems.
The crucifix is a position that takes a lot of practice to get good at. And I’m sure khabib has seen it before. It’s used a decent amount in sambo.
Conor tried to grab the far arm for the crucifix, good chance khabib breaks the grip and ends up on top in side control.
Bad news for conor

I actually would have liked to see him funk roll. Really. He was in good position for it at one point in that scramble off the low single.

There's some stuff in there about the neck crank. 20 minutes long but I learned a bit from it. Conor did bring in a wrestling elite for sure. Should've focused more on Jujitsu than trying to counter an elite wrestler with intermediate wrestling skills as the guy said in the video.

Great video, thanks.

Imagine if Conor has beat Khabib with a twister lol

Great stuff, that dudes channel is pretty good, despite the corny name of it.

I thought my self about the crucifix at the time.. I think it could’ve been a good strategy

I'm reading the and I can't fucking believe Conor didn't bring in high level wrestlers. Come to think of it, for the Floyd fight he only brought in ONE good boxer his size to spar, who was a bit washed up and they used just to make Conor look good on film.

Seems crazy.

Who did he bring in

Speaking specifically about the crush, Conor reached up with the wrong hand. I’m not sure he knew what he was going to try to do anyway, but when someone has a gable grip choke or crush on you, as opposed to the classic mata leon RNC where you reach up & fight their top hand, with a gable grip choke or crush you have to reach up with your same-side hand as the grip, grab their top hand by the thumb area, & peel open the gable grip, it should come right off. Then your other hand swims under the remaining choking arm, with your own palm swimming over your face.

Easier said than done of course, but it’s a very effective escape to a gable choke or crush.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back