Khabib is the most complete grappler to ever compete in MMA

Says a guy with a Khabib av = Cool story, comrade.

I think a legit argument of why Khabib is not the most complete grappler is that he hasn't proven to be effective on his back, and no submissions (afaik) from the guard.
Most of Khabib's submission wins are armbars and triangles from guard. He also likes to set Kimuras up from guard (iirc).

People in the UFC just either A) are not dumb enough to try and take him down or B) can't get/keep him down when they try.

His guard game is actually quite impressive when he shows it off.

GSP is #1 the guy had the best wrestling takedowns as well as good trips and throws combined with top control and submissions

Khabib is #2

AMjQhr1.gif

That's a MW that's thinking of moving to LHW.

I've also seen DC struggle with Khabib in wrestling practice.

delusional
<36>
<36>

I have a hard time accepting your premise because he has neither the formal submission grappling titles nor the amateur wrestling credentials. In that regard, he’s similar Jon Jones, who is also a dominant grappler despite his lack of formal grappling credentials. The difference is that Jones has more submissions and ground and pound stoppages and has outgrappled far higher level wrestlers (Bader, Chael, DC) than anyone Khabib has faced. Khabib has been freight training guys to be sure but let’s see how he’s able to assert his will against a Gregor Gillespie type character or a Ben Askren.

I find it funny how you guys are now making efforts on finding Khabib holes in his grappling and yet fail to recognize that is very probable that he's the most complete grappler to ever compete in MMA. And this is the reason of his great success in despite his pretty average level of striking.

Yes GSP and Mendes have better wrestling doubles and singles but Khabib have them plus a much better diversity of other Sambo and Judo takedowns and throws.

Yes Maia and Ferguson have way better subs but Khabib has that plus overall a much much better standup grappling.

Yes Karo and Akiyama had better Judo throws but Khabib has that plus a much better ground top control.

Yes Cormier and Colby have better clinch control but Khabib has that plus much better subs.

The list can keep going but you get the point.
GSP is more complete than Khabib. Khabib has a glaring hole in his game. GSP doesn't.

I'd say MM, TJ, Cejudo, DC, Jones are all more complete fighters than Khabib.

Khabib and Askren are indeed the best grapplers in mma given how they mix great takedowns with amazing position dominance.

Dagestan is wrestling place. Khabib training with the best all his life

He doesn't have the credentials or the fundamentals, but he could be the greatest grappler we've ever seen.

I find it funny how you guys are now making efforts on finding Khabib holes in his grappling and yet fail to recognize that is very probable that he's the most complete grappler to ever compete in MMA. And this is the reason of his great success in despite his pretty average level of striking.

Yes GSP and Mendes have better wrestling doubles and singles but Khabib have them plus a much better diversity of other Sambo and Judo takedowns and throws.

Yes Maia and Ferguson have way better subs but Khabib has that plus overall a much much better standup grappling.

Yes Karo and Akiyama had better Judo throws but Khabib has that plus a much better ground top control.

Yes Cormier and Colby have better clinch control but Khabib has that plus much better subs.

The list can keep going but you get the point.

All stats are from fightmetric.com

Takedown Accuracy: George St. Pierre 74% Khabib - 44%
Takedown Defense: Tyron Woodley - 94% Khabib - 84%
Takedown Attempts(avg every 15 minutes) -Khabib -5.44 (You got me on this one, he attempts a crazy number of takedowns)
Submission Attempts (avg every 15 minutes) -Demian Maia - 1.0 Khabib - .6

Also per UFC.com he is not in the top ten for any of these categories as well as takedowns landed, or total sumission attempts.

So he is clearly not the best in any one category.

Now your statement was he is the most well rounded which brings me back to the UFC stats page. He does not appear in the top 10 for any grappling category. How can he be the most well rounded if he is not even in the top 10?

I'm not a khabib hater, I honestly think he will win against Mcgregor but this bullshit making him out to be some all time great has to stop. he hasnt accomplished shit yet. Mcgregor is his first real test. That will solidify him as Champ(I know hes the "real" champ but we all know unless he beats Conor that belt is worthless). The man has a great start but he is not "the most well rounded grappler we've ever seen in mma".

Jake Shields maybe ?

That guys in Underrated AF.
Can't throw a Power punch to save his life, still won Vs a shit tons of top fighters.

Including a grappling MMA match with fkcing Damian Maia

I only saw his MMA fight with maia, where maia landed more takedowns and had the more dominant position (shields back), and shields won a SD by having a few nice reversals and then sitting in maia's guard, and ultimately being more active on the feet in round 5.

Did they have a grappling match that I missed? I'd be interested in watching that.

The best most effective MMA grappler yet not the most complete one

People always call him a wrestler, but he started as a gracie bjj guy. His wrestling is good, but a lot of his wrestling success comes from timing on his shot that he sets up with his understanding of distance that he picked up from karate. His BJJ top game is elite and it's what allowed him to control so many opponents. Overall, his bjj and wrestling is very, very good, making him a well rounded Grappler.

That said, Khabib is more well rounded because of his wider array of both upper body and lower body takedowns, combined with a very good bjj and gnp game, but it remains to be seen whether or not his grapplng is better or more effective than GSP's.

More well rounded does not always equal better.

Last edited:
Back