Khabib Awesomeness

Yes, he is awesome. I can't wait for this fight. Apropos:

http://www.mmafighting.com/2017/2/2...en-on-khabib-nurmagomedovs-wrestling-mma-news

Askren makes the very interesting point that a lot of what Khabib does from the top is stuff pretty specific to American folk, which is funny since Khabib has literally never wrestled American folk and the styles he has competed in put no emphasis on the kind of riding he's really great at. Where did he learn it? AKA? It doesn't really matter, the point is that he uses wrist rides and mat returns in the most beautiful, effective way possible. That Trujillo fight is almost painful to watch.
The Caucasus is famous for creative wrestlers worldwide. That's where Khabib is from and it's where he returns regularly to wrestle.

The Caucasus is famous for creative wrestlers worldwide. That's where Khabib is from and it's where he returns regularly to wrestle.
Not disagreeing, but he learned the folkstyle stuff in America

Which is funny to think, since Danny Castillo did successfully grapplefuck him.

If they were in prison Ferg would be in trouble. Danny Castillo is so awesome. Met him once while he was in the WEC and he was one of the nicest guys/ fighters I ever met.

Khabib and Weidman are the best current mma grapplers IMO. Looking forward to this matchup!

Weidman is not even the best in his weight class IMO but is a good grappler.

Rockhold won the grappling exchanges against Weidman after the first round or so.
Yoel won the second round of the Weidman fight grappling.
Jacare has great BJJ and MMA grappling. Same with Maia(at WW).

Which is why I said there was no shame struggling with taking him down. I just wanted to use it to highlight that Khabib is human even when it comes to wrestling.

It's going to be interesting seeing how the fight being a 5 rounder will affect it.

Khabib was also very young and supposedly had a knee injury which caused him to miss weight,.

Smart money is on Khabob but i've just got this feeling that Tony could pull a darce out of his ass.

Aaaaand Khabib is hospitalized...

I'm bummed as fuck, man. Damnit. I was looking forward to this fight all week. Oh well.

That would be so much fun. I'd honestly just like to see them fight MMA. Weight class changing is the thing these days, make it happen at WW.

I am so stoked for Khabib - Tony. That could easily turn into a badass scramble fest.

Yeah I meant in MMA. I just want to see if Maia will school Khabib like the Gunnar Fight.

And If he ends up on bottom, whether he can withstand the khabib gnp and sweep him.

It would be like a surgeon with a scalpel vs a demolition guy with a hammer.

@randomg1t @rmongler

Yeah I meant in MMA. I just want to see if Maia will school Khabib like the Gunnar Fight.

And If he ends up on bottom, whether he can withstand the khabib gnp and sweep him.

@randomg1t @rmongler

Maia's a lot bigger, that would have a huge impact on Khabib's game. I do think Maia could successfully defend Khabib's top game, and probably sweep him.

@randomg1t @rmongler
yeah that's why i think it's a bad matchup for khabib, when you put maia on his back you're not exactly improving your situation.

he's very good at getting back on top with a single leg (against some really good grapplers, too), as well as just cleanly sweeping people. and if he ever gets on top of khabib, i think he crushes him. i wish maia wasn't as old as he is, i honestly believe he could take anyone at 170 and eventually become champ if time wasn't running out for him.

yeah that's why i think it's a bad matchup for khabib, when you put maia on his back you're not exactly improving your situation.

he's very good at getting back on top with a single leg (against some really good grapplers, too), as well as just cleanly sweeping people. and if he ever gets on top of khabib, i think he crushes him. i wish maia wasn't as old as he is, i honestly believe he could take anyone at 170 and eventually become champ if time wasn't running out for him.

Maia is a killer with that sit-up single. It's interesting to note that each time in the Nelson fight Gunni was actually managing to maintain his balance and land in the crackdown/backstep position, but Maia kept the chain wrestling going and loaded him up come out on top.

Once he gets in on the leg, he finds a way to finish it one way or another.

Last edited:
Weidman is not even the best in his weight class IMO but is a good grappler.

Rockhold won the grappling exchanges against Weidman after the first round or so.
I want to see Rockhold in pure grappling. Because he outgrappled Weidman and apparently Buchecha said he gets tapped by Rockhold occasionally when they roll without the gi. And Weidman almost a decade ago gave Andre Galvao a good match at ADCC and Garry Tonon said Weidman could easily medal at ADCC if he devoted a camp to it. And the off the record stuff I've heard about Weidman rolling is almost hard to believe. So Rockhold must be a monster.

Rockhold is definitely a beast. He has a few matches online as a purple belt.

He has a rolling session with Rafa mendes IIRC but he looked gassed as hell.

Edit gui mendes.

Im sad Gui doesn't compete anymore, he always brought the presh.

Also this one:

Maia is a killer with that sit-up single. It's interesting to note that each time in the Nelson fight Gunni was actually managing to maintain his balance and land in the crackdown/backstep position, but Maia kept the chain wrestling going and loaded him up come out on top.

Once he gets in on the leg, he finds a way to finish it one way or another.

This is true but Sambo guys are notoriously good at smashing from top position. My only concern would be whether Maia can sweep a guy with world class base and dominant top control.

The only reason I'm leaning towards Maia being able to sweep him is size. If sizes are equal, it would be very difficult for Maia.

@Uchi Mata @randomg1t

This is true but Sambo guys are notoriously good at smashing from top position. My only concern would be whether Maia can sweep a guy with world class base and dominant top control.

The only reason I'm leaning towards Maia being able to sweep him is size. If sizes are equal, it would be very difficult for Maia.

@Uchi Mata @randomg1t

Well that somewhat depends on how you're defining 'on top'; in folkstyle/collegiate wrestling, you don't actually get takedown points if your opponent still has a-hold of your leg; its a much different situation than what most think of when they think of 'on top' (ie, inside guard).

Back