Keystone pipeline leaks 210K gallons of oil in South Dakota

clean it up an move on, spills happen.

The problem is, the company that is responsible for the leak, quite like the consequences of coal extraction, find nifty ways to shift liability, and avoid cleaning up the mess. Companies will use a subsidiary to do the mining, then when the cleanup comes, simply fold the company.

Dude, the post of mine you quoted mentioned leak detection systems.
Well I'm talking about sensors that can tell how much oil is flowing through the pipe. I don't know what "leak detection systems" they have in place, but anything worth shit won't miss 19 out of 20 leaks. Unless we're talking about a drip which obviously won't be detected when we're dealing with millions of gallons of oil or however much.

They don't want to lose oil. They don't want the publicity of a big oil spill. I'm sure they have a way of knowing instantly if there's a significant leak. Not to mention I'm sure the EPA would require that. They obviously caught this recent leak right away.

The keystone pipeline stretches a mile across my property & there's an old pipeline that's been there for like 30+ years & has never leaked. It is a concern of mine, but I'd like to believe they know what they're doing.

Last edited:
Well I'm talking about sensors that can tell how much oil is flowing through the pipe. I don't know what "leak detection systems" they have in place, but anything worth shit won't miss 19 out of 20 leaks. Unless we're talking about a drip which obviously won't be detected when we're dealing with millions of gallons of oil or however much.

They don't want to lose oil. They don't want the publicity of a big oil spill. I'm sure they have a way of knowing instantly if there's a significant leak. Not to mention I'm sure the EPA would require that. They obviously caught this recent leak right away.

The keystone pipeline stretches a mile across my property there's an old pipeline that's been there for like 30+ years & has never leaked. It is a concern of mine, but I'd like to believe they know what they're doing.
I don't know about oil pipeline but I have a natural gas pipeline across my land that was put in a couple of years ago. Their rep said the sensors monitor the pressure and if it drops, valves automatically shut off. That way only the contents of that section leak instead of the whole line.

I don't know about oil pipeline but I have a natural gas pipeline across my land that was put in a couple of years ago. Their rep said the sensors monitor the pressure and if it drops, valves automatically shut off. That way only the contents of that section leak instead of the whole line.
I'm sure the oil pipeline has the same sensors & shut off valves.

Actually you're wrong. The TransCanada pipeline goes through my property & the EPA had to inspect their work. The EPA & TransCanada actually got into a dispute on who was paying for erosion damage on my property that was caused by the pipeline construction.

If the EPA wasn't run by a hack who's primary function in our government is going on dates with lobbyists from the industries he's supposed to be regulating this agencies oversight might be mean more than nothing, but alas Trump and Pruitt can't help themselves but jump in bed with every corporate lobbyist who hits them up and donates.

I mean even Trump supporters admit he gives absolutely no fucks about the nation's environment, right? He's going to slash the EPA budget by 40%, I don't see how they afford to properly oversee anything but dinners with lobbyists.

'210k Gallons' sounds like alot more than '2,100 Barrels.'

Correction - Crude barrels are 42 gallons, not 100.

http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/barrel-bbl.html

Credit to @woodguyatl.

And I just looked up the capacity of these oil tanks being transported by commercial trucks on interstates -

many-gallons-tanker-truck-hold_98cd8f85aa0d92b4.jpg

- 11,600 gallons.

So the total amount of oil that was leaked was enough to fill 18.1 oil tanks.

Just another example of environmentalists trying to make a Mt Everest out of a mole hill.
Lmao @ trying to minimize this. As someone that has specifically cleaned up oil spills in the Dakota oil fields you have no idea what you're talking about. Crude oil is an absolute fucking mess. A single barrel is an absolute disaster to clean up. 18 tankers full is a metric fuck ton of oil to leak and clean up.

Its not really all that much. Its easy to clean up aslong as its not getting into streams. Better it on land than a ocean vessel spilling the same amount directly into the ocean.

That sounds bad but pipelines are the best and safest ways to transport it
{<huh}{<huh}{<huh}{<huh}

Crude oil is not easy to clean up at all. It is the opposite. It's an absolute pain in the ass

You driving a car? You get mail delivered? You get anything from a store that takes deliveries? Ok, then shut the fuck up.

That is a stupid argument you have put forth. There is NO WAY to make a real change unless the change is systemic for fuck sakes. It is precisely because we cannot function in this society without contributing to environmental damage that we speak up! Holy fuck man....

Lmao @ trying to minimize this. As someone that has specifically cleaned up oil spills in the Dakota oil fields you have no idea what you're talking about. Crude oil is an absolute fucking mess. A single barrel is an absolute disaster to clean up. 18 tankers full is a metric fuck ton of oil to leak and clean up.
Who'd you work for?

You couldn't pay me enough to be a roughneck.
Yeah, it wasn't enough. Dude had the lowest wages in the oil Field. The owner lived in a trailer at the shop, while he had a few million in the bank and paid us poorly.

Yeah, it wasn't enough. Dude had the lowest wages in the oil Field. The owner lived in a trailer at the shop, while he had a few million in the bank and paid us poorly.
I know Basin didn't pay their roughnecks shit either, but they didn't drug test. They were hard working sob's though. I watched one guy with a 48 puke with every rotation for 4 hours.

Where did I say crude was easy to clean up? My position is the media is purposely shoving the '210k gallons' figure into the headlines because it's a VERY BIG NUMBER, when it'd be far more accurate to use any comparable units of measurement much as barrels or tankers.

When, before this, has there ever been an oil spill measured in gallons? And how did they estimate it was 210k gallons?

And one more clarification - crude weights 7.21 pounds per gallon, so cleaning all of it up would be 757.1 metric fucktons.

If you transport liquids, leaks will happen. I wonder if those protesters had a viable alternative to meet our needs for energy until we do go green. I'm willing to bet the answer is no.
Its not like this leak occurred 30 years after the protests. We already have a leak, how many more will come? Easy for you to down play it when its not your home facing the disaster. When its others paying the price its not hard to be willing to take the risk.

If you transport liquids, leaks will happen. I wonder if those protesters had a viable alternative to meet our needs for energy until we do go green. I'm willing to bet the answer is no.
I dont disagree with this but it is still frustrating because I am positive we could do better both with transport and with green and that it seems oil companies always get away with not having to pay for the messes they create and pay off the politicians that should be regulating them

Its not like this leak occurred 30 years after the protests. We already have a leak, how many more will come? Easy for you to down play it when its not your home facing the disaster. When its others paying the price its not hard to be willing to take the risk.
The "not in my back yard" defense. I'm defeated. :D

Are you aware of any viable alternatives presented by the protesters? I'm not. Hell, I'm not even downplaying the amount as 210 000 gallons of crude sound like a lot. Almost half the volume of an Olympic pool. I was also under the impression this leak didn't happen on the new section.
I dont disagree with this but it is still frustrating because I am positive we could do better both with transport and with green and that it seems oil companies always get away with not having to pay for the messes they create and pay off the politicians that should be regulating them

We could do better, and we should do better. I appreciate the outdoors more than most, and have spent years wheeling, quadding, camping, etc. Same can be said for trail maintenance, garbage clean up, and volunteering on projects in the bush.

My main reason for opening my yap in this thread is the whole "Trump is evil and will send us back onto the dark ages" type of crap. Some people have turned into whiny cunts since the orange buffoon took power. He'll be gone in 3 more years and in the meanwhile green tech will keep moving forward, and any backwards measures will be reversed. Even if he was the biggest environmentalist president ever, we're not ready to move away from oil yet.

The "not in my back yard" defense. I'm defeated. :D

Are you aware of any viable alternatives presented by the protesters? I'm not. Hell, I'm not even downplaying the amount as 210 000 gallons of crude sound like a lot. Almost half the volume of an Olympic pool. I was also under the impression this leak didn't happen on the new section.
I was mistaken about which pipeline this leak is from but the rest of my post stands. I don't think its up to the protesters to present the alternative if they have reasonable concerns which I think this leak shows they did.

The clean up crews are going to make a killing. Jobs, Jobs, Jobs! #MAGA
<BronTroll1>

Back