Keyboard Jockey Attempts Two AR-15 Builds

So, AR15 issue today with a gun that was running just fine when I was in Utah with it.

I'll shoot a round and either the bolt isn't going back almost at all or not far enough and it isn't even ejecting the spent round.

Is it like undergassed (or shite ammo? I was using that yellow boxed UMC stuff owned by Remington) but I'd shoot a round and I would have to fucking manually cycle it with the charging handle and the fucking spent casing is still basically gripped by the bolt and I could stick it back into batter with the forward assist.

Only two things I could think of was either the ammo didn't have enough gas pushed through the tube to cycle the bolt, OR, my buffer is too heavy but it's the same buffer I had in Utah when it was shooting just find.

Sounds like a gas issue. If not ammo then maybe a loose gas key? Do you have an adjustable gas block on that rifle?

Sounds like a gas issue. If not ammo then maybe a loose gas key? Do you have an adjustable gas block on that rifle?
It's a plain low profile gas block.

Hope it's not the gaskey as it's a goddamn NiBo BCG. Ugh.

So, AR15 issue today with a gun that was running just fine when I was in Utah with it.

I'll shoot a round and either the bolt isn't going back almost at all or not far enough and it isn't even ejecting the spent round.

Is it like undergassed (or shite ammo? I was using that yellow boxed UMC stuff owned by Remington) but I'd shoot a round and I would have to fucking manually cycle it with the charging handle and the fucking spent casing is still basically gripped by the bolt and I could stick it back into batter with the forward assist.

Only two things I could think of was either the ammo didn't have enough gas pushed through the tube to cycle the bolt, OR, my buffer is too heavy but it's the same buffer I had in Utah when it was shooting just find.

What buffer weight?

Check your gas block, make sure it didn't walk forward. Happened to someone I know.

Check the gas rings on the bolt

Check the gas key. See if it's loose or has weird fouling as if it isn't sealed and is leaking.

What buffer weight?

Check your gas block, make sure it didn't walk forward. Happened to someone I know.

Check the gas rings on the bolt

Check the gas key. See if it's loose or has weird fouling as if it isn't sealed and is leaking.
Will do to morrow.

I have a buffer that is a rifle buffer and I think that COULD be the issue but it didn't have reliability issues when I was using it in Utah earlier this year.

Will do to morrow.

I have a buffer that is a rifle buffer and I think that COULD be the issue but it didn't have reliability issues when I was using it in Utah earlier this year.

Thought you had a carbine tube? Pretty sure rifle buffer won't work in that

Thought you had a carbine tube? Pretty sure rifle buffer won't work in that
I dropped the parts off at a place and the only bit left to buy was the buffer and the fucking clerk I think grabbed the wrong one.

I'll grab an H2 at some point to drop in there.

@RerouteToRemain

Thanks for the advice, just took a flashlight to it without even taking my handguard off and the gas block has worked itself forward from that spot where it "seats" on the barrel.

6zx506.jpg

It's almost definitely something I could probably fix but I don't have a vice and don't want to chance fucking something up. I have to get a lower from my lGS so I am going to take it to them and see if they'd be willing to do it for me.

Last edited:
@RerouteToRemain

Thanks for the advice, just took a flashlight to it without even taking my handguard off and the gas block has worked itself forward from that spot where it "seats" on the barrel.

6zx506.jpg

It's almost definitely something I could probably fix but I don't have a vice and don't want to chance fucking something up. I have to get a lower from my lGS so I am going to take it to them and see if they'd be willing to do it for me.

Who installed it?

Who installed it?
Gun shop. I would do it myself but I don't have a vice or a bench so I'd be doing everything like on my bed or a TV tray in my living room.

The thing that gets me is it's obviously unseated itself since I left Utah a couple months ago and it ran ok for a bit on Saturday and then started having problems.

I think I have a rifle buffer too instead of an H2. Would that potentially cause this?

NVM, it's an H3 buffer not a rifle buffer.

Last edited:
Gun shop. I would do it myself but I don't have a vice or a bench so I'd be doing everything like on my bed or a TV tray in my living room.

The thing that gets me is it's obviously unseated itself since I left Utah a couple months ago and it ran ok for a bit on Saturday and then started having problems.

I think I have a rifle buffer too instead of an H2. Would that potentially cause this?

Im pretty sure a rifle buffer is too long to cycle at all in a carbine tube.

buffers.jpg

Action/reaction thing. It's pushing gas away and will always go forward(eventually) if not installed correctly.

The barrel needs to be dimpled or block pinned(ideal but not absolutely necessary). If the gas block has set screws(most do) the dimple(s) should be good. If it doesn't have set screws it needs to be pinned(excluding clamp on).

15043778_664595433721261_4895604917428813824_n.jpg

The gas blocks set screw will go into the dimples and hold it in place. Without the dimples the set screws are just pushing against a smooth round surface and with heat metal expands/contracts. They need to be properly torqued and ideally rocksett is added to make sure they don't back out (loctite melting point too low although people do successfully use red loctite).

@Cubo de Sangre

Radian has their completed rifles for 20% off. Not sure if you'd be interested in a complete build but it's a bad ass AR for <$2100.

Thanks. I need to finish the last couple builds before even considering something like that. And even prior to that I need to get to the range and test out the Ares MCR and re-test Goldfinger (the first binary trigger build) will the new BCG. Last one was a little tight in the upper in one spot. New one is better. Will try to get that sucker tuned for reliability. Hope it doesn't need a new stripped upper.

Thanks. I need to finish the last couple builds before even considering something like that. And even prior to that I need to get to the range and test out the Ares MCR and re-test Goldfinger (the first binary trigger build) will the new BCG. Last one was a little tight in the upper in one spot. New one is better. Will try to get that sucker tuned for reliability. Hope it doesn't need a new stripped upper.

So the Ergo 2. Not a fan, I'll probably return it. The texture is not even close imo.

Alrighty then. Glad I bought a few extras of gen 1.

Can you describe the difference?

It's almost like plastic. It's obviously rubber but doesn't have much give(material is hard) and not anywhere near as tacky.

20170615_204236_zpsphwlbj94.jpg

20170615_204253_zpsxhblzeke.jpg

The marks are me just digging into it with my finger checking how tacky it is.

It's almost like plastic. It's obviously rubber but doesn't have much give(material is hard) and not anywhere near as tacky.

20170615_204236_zpsphwlbj94.jpg

20170615_204253_zpsxhblzeke.jpg

The marks are me just digging into it with my finger checking how tacky it is.

Just checked mine. Have a gen 2 in OD green. Difference seems very slight. Can't say it's an improvement. Can't say it's enough of a problem to worry about replacing either.

Maybe there's variance withing the generations.

EDIT: The grip on Brother Grim (the reaper black build) is one of these #4009 aggressive texture models. Not bad, but noticeably not as good. Don't recall noticing this upon purchase but as I recall there was exactly one place selling one with the after-market paint job.

http://ergogrips.net/shop/the-original-ergo-grip-at-aggressive-texture/

Last edited:
Just checked mine. Have a gen 2 in OD green. Difference seems very slight. Can't say it's an improvement. Can't say it's enough of a problem to worry about replacing either.

Maybe there's variance withing the generations.

EDIT: The grip on Brother Grim (the reaper black build) is one of these #4009 aggressive texture models. Not bad, but noticeably not as good. Don't recall noticing this upon purchase but as I recall there was exactly one place selling one with the after-market paint job.

http://ergogrips.net/shop/the-original-ergo-grip-at-aggressive-texture/

To me it was immediately more firm and less tacky. I'll stick with the orginal.

That link doesn't look like the orginal.

Back