Keyboard Jockey Attempts Two AR-15 Builds

I didn't but I can (starting at the buttstock)

- Magpul STR buttstock
- Milspec buffer tube with standard spring and a rifle buffer
- Spikes Punisher lower
- Tactical Shit "Til Valhalla" triggerguard
- VLTOR MUR upper
- Standard upper parts kit
- Tactical Shit drop in "Bangswitch" trigger
- Tactical shot ambit safety lever
- NiBo BCG
- Yankee Hill flip up irons
- Trijicon MRO on a lower 1/3 cowitness mount (intend to grab a LaRue QD version soon)
- Midwest Industries Gen III 15" rail
- Wilson Combat fluted recon mid-length gas system barrel
- JP Enterprises flash hider
- The black bits you see are Railscales rail covers (I have a handstop too but am waiting on the keymod nut from Railscales).

I used to think rail covers were dumb as shit on keymod or M-LOK rails as I always thought the ladder covers were to keep the quadrails from snagging on shit... that is until I dumped close to 200 rounds in 15 minutes downrange in my other AR and it's handguard is even wider in diameter than the Midwest one and I was feeling the heat.

I have a nice Elzetta weapon light but the mounting options are "eeehhhh" IMO and I can't find a decent way to mount the tail switch so I might place an order for this sometime:
Inforce-group-2-e1473622203814.jpg

One of the 800 Lumen ones... my goal is to not only see my target in the dark if needed but blind the shit out of them too.

I'll just need a keymod rail section is all.

Very cool. Thanks.

Mid-length gas tube?
Adjustable block?

Very cool. Thanks.

Mid-length gas tube?
Adjustable block?
Mid length gas tube, normal gas block.. I have no intention of getting a suppressor for this build as it's a "fighting/SHTF" rifle which is why a ton of the parts are on the nicer side.

On Saturday three of the builds got some range time. Mostly it was sighting in the iron sights and one Aimpoint. Things went pretty well except for FTF issues in all three (to varying degrees). They cleared up after some rounds and mag changes in the OD Green and Reaper Black builds. The MAC-10 inspired design needs looked at. Possibly a new bolt carrier because there's friction somewhere with the current one.

Sighting in was done at 50 yards. I didn't save any targets to show here. After sighting in on paper I banged rounds off a hunk of steel placed 100 yards out. Shooting steel rules. Love that sound.

Nothing much special to say about the OD Green build. Functioned fine on the last mags and has a nice feel (and sound) with that Miculek brake on there. This one got about 70 rounds through it.

The Reaper Black build (affectionately known as Brother Grim) seemed more accurate with the 14.5" Colt Socom barrel. Just using the Magpul MOE BUIS the wife was 10/10 with hitting the steel at 100 yards. I didn't think it would matter much, but I'm digging that missing 1.5" of barrel length. Overall this one saw about 160 rounds.

The MAC-10 looking build (I call Goldfinger due to being all black but the gold trigger) is interesting. It's got the Franklin Armory Binary trigger. The binary mode is AWESOME. Doing double-taps is soooo fucking cool. With the Aimpoint and in binary mode I was able to hit the steel with both shots. Not all the time, but enough to believe that the 2nd shot isn't wasted due to the recoil of the first. It ran great with the Brother Grim upper on it. I did a couple mags of just going as fast as I could. Not much accuracy with that for me. The first time I had to adjust my footing after getting rocked back a little. lol. Just need to completely eliminate the FTF issues.

As a side note, this is the first time I've used a brass-catcher. Thumbs up on that thing. No picking them up and no scrounging for fired brass. At first I thought it might be messing up the feeding but then I thought it was the mags and then I thought/hoped it was just a break-in issue.

And shout-out to @Chesten_Hesten for the vet-wrap that he gave me to put over the non-ventilated handguard on Goldfinger. Fortunately the tube handguard didn't put off as much heat as I thought, but what was there was lessened by the wrap. Not to mention it feels better than bare metal and looks pretty damn tough. Thanks bro!!

And shout-out to @Chesten_Hesten for the vet-wrap that he gave me to put over the non-ventilated handguard on Goldfinger. Fortunately the tube handguard didn't put off as much heat as I thought, but what was there was lessened by the wrap. Not to mention it feels better than bare metal and looks pretty damn tough. Thanks bro!!

bolt.gif

On Saturday three of the builds got some range time. Mostly it was sighting in the iron sights and one Aimpoint. Things went pretty well except for FTF issues in all three (to varying degrees). They cleared up after some rounds and mag changes in the OD Green and Reaper Black builds. The MAC-10 inspired design needs looked at. Possibly a new bolt carrier because there's friction somewhere with the current one.

Sighting in was done at 50 yards. I didn't save any targets to show here. After sighting in on paper I banged rounds off a hunk of steel placed 100 yards out. Shooting steel rules. Love that sound.

Nothing much special to say about the OD Green build. Functioned fine on the last mags and has a nice feel (and sound) with that Miculek brake on there. This one got about 70 rounds through it.

The Reaper Black build (affectionately known as Brother Grim) seemed more accurate with the 14.5" Colt Socom barrel. Just using the Magpul MOE BUIS the wife was 10/10 with hitting the steel at 100 yards. I didn't think it would matter much, but I'm digging that missing 1.5" of barrel length. Overall this one saw about 160 rounds.

The MAC-10 looking build (I call Goldfinger due to being all black but the gold trigger) is interesting. It's got the Franklin Armory Binary trigger. The binary mode is AWESOME. Doing double-taps is soooo fucking cool. With the Aimpoint and in binary mode I was able to hit the steel with both shots. Not all the time, but enough to believe that the 2nd shot isn't wasted due to the recoil of the first. It ran great with the Brother Grim upper on it. I did a couple mags of just going as fast as I could. Not much accuracy with that for me. The first time I had to adjust my footing after getting rocked back a little. lol. Just need to completely eliminate the FTF issues.

As a side note, this is the first time I've used a brass-catcher. Thumbs up on that thing. No picking them up and no scrounging for fired brass. At first I thought it might be messing up the feeding but then I thought it was the mags and then I thought/hoped it was just a break-in issue.

Did you make note on how the brass was extracting before using the catcher? If it was going straight back it could be slightly undergassed or if it kicked forward it is over gassed. Straight out slightly back is the optimal reliable set up.

ARejectionpattern.jpg

Did you make note on how the brass was extracting before using the catcher? If it was going straight back it could be slightly undergassed or if it kicked forward it is over gassed. Straight out slightly back is the optimal reliable set up.

ARejectionpattern.jpg

Of course not! :)

I can only focus on one thing at a time and that was sighting them all in and then ripping of strings of double-taps. lol. But now that I think about it the wife was collecting brass (when catcher not in use) from about 4:00 and about five feet away or so.

Coincidentally these three are the only ones I've built without an adjustable block. And the problems subsided with a change of mags and after a few boxes of ammo. At least with two of them. And they're carbine-length so it seems unlikely there would be too little gas. The third one I'm fairly certain is the result of friction between the carrier and the upper. I'll switch that out and see what happens. Can't wait to get more binary trigger-time. But holy fucking shit does ammo disappear quickly. :mad::(:cool:

Did you happen to use those Amend2 mags you bought a while back? Curious to get your opinion them.

I haven't actually used any of them yet myself.

Did you happen to use those Amend2 mags you bought a while back? Curious to get your opinion them.

I haven't actually used any of them yet myself.

Nope. A 10, 20, & 40 round Pmag and a 10 round E-lander were all I used. I wanted shorter mags for the bench shooting and the 40 rounder for the mag dumps. I took along a 60 round Magpul drum but didn't end up fucking with it.

Nope. A 10, 20, & 40 round Pmag and a 10 round E-lander were all I used. I wanted shorter mags for the bench shooting and the 40 rounder for the mag dumps. I took along a 60 round Magpul drum but didn't end up fucking with it.

Let me know what you think if you get a chance to break them in . . . those D60s look nice. Thought about buying a few myself to resell.

Let me know what you think if you get a chance to break them in . . . those D60s look nice. Thought about buying a few myself to resell.

Sure thing.

Yeah, the drums seem well-built. You should pick one up at the very least to play with a bit.

The MRO should arrive next week. Not sure what to put it on, but damned if I don't need to try it out somewhere. Wondering if it's better on an AR or the Tavor.

553cf7e4fc379c657609d8284678f085.jpg

Man . . . one of the coolest things I've actually been able to do related to AR builds is hook up with a group on Facebook of about 6000 members and be selected as one of about 8 vendors they allow to sell parts and organize group buys.

Made many new customers and learned a bunch and discovered some cool build ideas.

The only problem . . . is I'm also now buying more stuff for builds I don't really need or have the room for . . . :)

But, I'm also hooking up with new distributors and gaining access to new inventory. Pretty cool.

The MRO should arrive next week. Not sure what to put it on, but damned if I don't need to try it out somewhere. Wondering if it's better on an AR or the Tavor.

553cf7e4fc379c657609d8284678f085.jpg

Looking at optics on Tavors the round optics like mro, aimpoint, etc look really strange to me. The reflex and eotechs look best imo.

Looking at optics on Tavors the round optics like mro, aimpoint, etc look really strange to me. The reflex and eotechs look best imo.

Agreed. As evidenced by it currently sporting an XPS 3. Not to worried about extreme temperature shifts here throwing it off zero. :cool:

But I'm open to ideas and you never know. Maybe it'll get saved for a build that hasn't been started. There's a Seekins-style lower in the safe that's still waiting for inspiration to strike.

I really want a 7.62 x .39 upper. Concerned about reliability though so I'm not sure where exactly I can buy once and cry once.

Agreed. As evidenced by it currently sporting an XPS 3. Not to worried about extreme temperature shifts here throwing it off zero. :cool:

But I'm open to ideas and you never know. Maybe it'll get saved for a build that hasn't been started. There's a Seekins-style lower in the safe that's still waiting for inspiration to strike.

I really want a 7.62 x .39 upper. Concerned about reliability though so I'm not sure where exactly I can buy once and cry once.

I think last I read about the 7.62x39, PWS was making a quality upper piston upper MK116 and Faxon makes that ARAK 21. Then if you want to use AK mags you could go with the RRA LAR47.

I think last I read about the 7.62x39, PWS was making a quality upper piston upper MK116 and Faxon makes that ARAK 21. Then if you want to use AK mags you could go with the RRA LAR47.

Thanks. I definitely don't want a new gun. Just an upper that's reliable. I've seen it said the feed ramps were the issue and others insist it's good to go if you've got the right mags. Not sure what to believe. I'll check into your suggestions. Was half-tempted to grab on of the PSA uppers for $399 but that has very mixed reviews.

I'm thinking about building an AR in 6.5 Grendel . . . a 7.62 x 39 has also crossed my mind.

Back