Keyboard Jockey Attempts Two AR-15 Builds

Bravo Company is advertising a new stock. Not sure on reviews on it yet. I'm a Magpul guy.

Did you need a barrel wrench for the upper?

I'm not that well-versed in stocks. I don't care much for collapsible's. I like the ACE Skeleton stocks and those go for about 100 bux I think. Vltor seems to be well-respected. Maybe check them out.

That could be the name of it, looks to be a special tool that helps with the stock as well. So far i have been using my hands, wrench, and at times a plumbers wrench, just the handles to help put on the new Magpul hand guard i bought.

Also purchased a Magpul stock via Amazon for $38 and free shipping, hard deal to pass up. This AR shit can cause an addiction real quick!

This AR shit can cause an addiction real quick!

It's brutal. :(

I got my gas block today. Incredible how such a small piece of metal costs over $100. Somehow being adjustable doubles-triples the price. Must be the hex wrench that's included jacking up the cost. :icon_lol:

I got my gas block today. Incredible how such a small piece of metal costs over $100. Somehow being adjustable doubles-triples the price. Must be the hex wrench that's included jacking up the cost. :icon_lol:

Besides making your wallet and bank account smaller, what does this gas block do for the AR?

Besides making your wallet and bank account smaller, what does this gas block do for the AR?

This particular one mainly pretties it up with the extra biohazard logo. :icon_lol:

Seriously though, it helps move the gas from the barrel through a tube and back to the bolt carrier. The adjustable ones let you work it more like a piston setup. Word is AR's are purposely overgassed in order to maintain reliability, at the cost of comfort and wear & tear. So instead of bulking up on buffer weights and things to overcompensate for the overcompensated gas you can simply lower the amount of gas used to cycle the action. I'm still learning about this stuff. I love the internet.

http://firearmshistory.blogspot.com/2010/10/actions-gas-operated-direct-impingement.html

This particular one mainly pretties it up with the extra biohazard logo. :icon_lol:

Seriously though, it helps move the gas from the barrel through a tube and back to the bolt carrier. The adjustable ones let you work it more like a piston setup. Word is AR's are purposely overgassed in order to maintain reliability, at the cost of comfort and wear & tear. So instead of bulking up on buffer weights and things to overcompensate for the overcompensated gas you can simply lower the amount of gas used to cycle the action. I'm still learning about this stuff. I love the internet.

http://firearmshistory.blogspot.com/2010/10/actions-gas-operated-direct-impingement.html

Knowledge bomb dropped.

Bought a Magpul pistol grip to add on to my Daniel Defense. Haven't had a chance to slap it on though. When my rebate cards come from ATT for my cable upgrade I may splurge and get an EOTECH.

Just added a Magpul Mil Spec stock as of last night, which now goes with the Magpul forgirp.

Why did you buy the Adjustable gas block?

They are useful when you're shooting suppressed, (cuts down the dirty blowback on the bolt)

The Sarc is about the only one worth getting, maybe. Expensive though, goddamnit.

I've got a can, but I don't feeling like buying another POS part for this fucking gun of mine.

Have you shot these things yet, or you still farting with pieces and parts?

Why did you buy the Adjustable gas block?

They are useful when you're shooting suppressed, (cuts down the dirty blowback on the bolt)

The Sarc is about the only one worth getting, maybe. Expensive though, goddamnit.

I've got a can, but I don't feeling like buying another POS part for this fucking gun of mine.

Have you shot these things yet, or you still farting with pieces and parts?

I bought the adjustable because it supposedly helps with recoil management, regardless of using a can or not. I don't get no cans where I'm at. :(

I'm still accumulating parts. I've got about everything but the bolt carrier and a muzzle device. I'm planning on the JP low mas carrier and this brake, if I can find one in stainless. Then I'll be able to assemble one upper. After this I'll probably see about buying a complete upper for build #2.

MKI_SS_2__69570.1405464299.1280.1280.jpg

Is your barrel stainless too?

Yeah. At first I thought a black muzzle device would be cool be then I looked around at pics and decided that it wasn't as awesome as I thought. The problem is this effin a compensator seems to be out of stock everywhere in stainless steel and there's a new version of it that I don't like as much. I might be out of luck.

Anyone have an opinion on using red loctite on the free float handguard or some type of thread grease where the barrel screws to the receiver? I'm not to interested in using the red loctite, but it seems to be recommended for the JP/VTAC free float.

Picking out muzzle devices can be headache worthy.

Agreed. I can't find the Effin A in stainless so I think I'll go with the SJC Titan instead. Near as I can tell the top tier devices are pretty similar performance-wise and much of the preference will boil down to tastes and appearance. Looking at videos, the Titan seems to keep the muzzle flat. Buncha bullshit that the stainless version is $30 more.

th

I'm convinced that if I do ever come around and buy an AR, I'll be getting a piston one.

I'm pretty happy with my Scout so far, but I have this irrational desire to Magpul the fuck out of something.

Agreed. I can't find the Effin A in stainless so I think I'll go with the SJC Titan instead. Near as I can tell the top tier devices are pretty similar performance-wise and much of the preference will boil down to tastes and appearance. Looking at videos, the Titan seems to keep the muzzle flat. Buncha bullshit that the stainless version is $30 more.

th

Where do you shoot? Buy a flash hider as well to use if you are at like actual ranges. The titan, pri, fortis, lantac dragon, JP, battle comp, etc(I could probably list 20 more) all have a large very loud concussive blast. So they are not range friendly, it's mostly a courtesy for the people next to you.

Where do you shoot? Buy a flash hider as well to use if you are at like actual ranges. The titan, pri, fortis, lantac dragon, JP, battle comp, etc(I could probably list 20 more) all have a large very loud concussive blast. So they are not range friendly, it's mostly a courtesy for the people next to you.

Ha. Well, it's kinda informal at this state park. Every time I'm there seems to be just as other groups of shooters are packing up. Even then it's not like I'd have some strangers five feet away on either side.

You seem to have some experience in this area. How would you rate the trade off between extra noise/concussion and improvements in muzzle climb/recoil? Life would be easier (but not cheaper) if I could just get a can.

I'm convinced that if I do ever come around and buy an AR, I'll be getting a piston one.

I'm pretty happy with my Scout so far, but I have this irrational desire to Magpul the fuck out of something.

What about pistons do you find attractive?

Back