Kevin Lee would take "motivated" BJ Penn down at will and pound him out

Disagreed, primes Hughes couldn't take down BJ, neither would Lee. BJ by flying-knee to the face after hopping around the ring on one leg for 15 seconds.

Sean Sherk was like 2x the wrestler Lee was and he didn't do shit.

Disagree. Kevin Lee has beaten absolutely nobody to make me think he could take down prime BJ. If Sean Sherk couldn't, Lee certainly wouldn't and he has nowhere near the chin Sherk had.

It's all speculation because obviously we will never see the fight happen but IMO, Kevin Lee is grossly overrated. Many of the top LWs today are being hyped because of big streaks over journeymen fighters but when you look closely, most of them have only beaten Edson Barbosa who himself is a low level gatekeeper.

frM84vk.gif

I don't know if the comparison is fair.

I guy of BJs physical stature would probably be looking at cutting to 135 these days.

But I tend to agree that many of the current crop of LWs e.g. Khabib and Kevin would give him major problems with their physicality.

BJ's takedown defense was very, very good. He could likely keep it standing and piece Lee up on the feet.

With that said current MMA fighters are generally way stronger and more athletic than the fighters in prime BJ era (in part because they cut so much weight and compete at lower weight classes). Lee's strength would certainly be a handful for BJ. But of course, he beat Matt Hughes.... I'll say prime motivated BJ beats Kevin Lee 8/10 times.

People forget how good B.J. Penn was. But that was 10-15 years ago. From the time he beat Gomi til the time he beat Frankie in the first fight, he is top 5 one of the greatest P4P fighters ever.

He’s the guy Anderson Silva called the best in the world back then.

I dont know man. Prime penn had some great take down defence and is no barboza off his back. I give him the striking advantage vs kevin as well.

Penn is a .500 career fighter, what does beating him prove about Kevin Lee?

you can't go by Penn's record....many of his losses were in weight classes higher than his peak. he even has one at Light Heavy weight. and many losses were way past his prime, Like his last 6 or so fights...

I was..

Overrated. GSP took him down and beat him up.. So did Hughes.. So did Fitch..

I seem to remember penn tapping out hughes one fight and ko'ing him in another. when bj got tired, then you could take him down...before that, his tdd was something to behold...

I seem to remember penn tapping out hughes one fight and ko'ing him in another. when bj got tired, then you could take him down...before that, his tdd was something to behold...

It was good.. It was not something great wrestlers like Kevin Lee could not get past. His striking is also overrated. Very few kicks, mostly boxing and a great chin. BJ also always his whole career had awful cardio. 5 round fight like Lee had with Edson, and if the fight goes past 2 rounds, he would wear BJ out. BJ was always a 2 round fighter. After that he could be broken. In the Fitch fight BJ was winning after 2 rounds. Round 3 Fitch took a tired BJ down and mauled him..

Back