Kevin Lee will eventually be a champion

After rewatching the fight again, Kevin Lee is a special fighter

Rewatch the first round of that fight, even though he gassed - his top game is something scary. It reminds me of Luke Rockholds top game (my favorite in the sport that doesn't belong to Maia or Jacare), with it's blend of strength and skill while also being able to float on top. In that division in terms of raw effectiveness he's probably second to Khabib. Tony Ferguson is one of the best scramblers in the sport, and Lee was able to shut down his funk game.

It's a shame he got so tired, his striking also looked legitimately good in the first round of that fight (and even a bit in the second and third)

But the most important thing here is that he's 25, he's a very young fighter at a good camp with a lot of experience under his belt and not much damage. He's never really shown true cardio issues before this fight, and we all know that Tony is a freak of nature when it comes to pace, so if he can get his weight under control (and I believe he had a staph infection which certainly didn't help his cut) or grow into his frame at 170 OR if a 165 division is opened I believe he'll fight his way back to a title shot and with the right style matchup I think we could easily be looking at a future champion.

I really hope you are trolling there :)

I really hope you are trolling there :)
Nope. Actually being serious, it's fine if people don't agree - but I was impressed and I hope others were as well.
Maybe I think Tony Ferguson is better at fighting that most others seem to.

Rewatch the first round of that fight, even though he gassed - his top game is something scary. It reminds me of Luke Rockholds top game (my favorite in the sport that doesn't belong to Maia or Jacare), with it's blend of strength and skill while also being able to float on top. In that division in terms of raw effectiveness he's probably second to Khabib. Tony Ferguson is one of the best scramblers in the sport, and Lee was able to shut down his funk game.

It's a shame he got so tired, his striking also looked legitimately good in the first round of that fight (and even a bit in the second and third)

But the most important thing here is that he's 25, he's a very young fighter at a good camp with a lot of experience under his belt and not much damage. He's never really shown true cardio issues before this fight, and we all know that Tony is a freak of nature when it comes to pace, so if he can get his weight under control (and I believe he had a staph infection which certainly didn't help his cut) or grow into his frame at 170 OR if a 165 division is opened I believe he'll fight his way back to a title shot and with the right style matchup I think we could easily be looking at a future champion.

I definitely agree. You mentioned his top game being scary, man oh man are you right, the way he takes the back of guys like Trinaldo and Chiesa and just the way he has been able to really run through these guys on the ground had already impressed me. How about getting full mount on Tony Ferg and dropping the bombs at the end of round 1, that was amazing, impressive for sure.

What really wowed me though was how much better his striking looked in comparison to just his last few fights, when talking about Kevin Lee, the criticism would always be his holes in his stand up, you can definitely see the work he put in for this fight because he was looking pretty damn solid on the feet.

Cardio though he needs to get his weight situation on point, I believe he will eventually move up, and when he does I think he will actually have more success because his body won’t be so depleted and not only will his cardio improve, his endurance and body will function better as well.

So yeah I agree for sure, at 25 years of age and with the skills and charisma to go with it, I definitely see a bright future for Kevin Lee.

His mama think he's gonna be champ too...or she's gonna cry

I hope he isn't too dispirited, he showed flashes of brilliance in that bout. He'll be champ some day!

i knew lee could grapple. his striking is what surprised me.

He already said he has to move up to 170 now, and he won't make an impact there, so no, he won't be champion.

so many questions

giphy.gif

Having that hard time trying to make weight at 25 years of age, my guess is he will have to move up no doubt, and he will probably be too small for higher dividions. Talented guy thats for sure...

Last edited:

Not if he is 25 and getting into battles like that.

I agree Kevin is a great fighter , been a fan for a while now , he's constantly getting better fight to fight and is still young enough to recover from this loss and get another title shot and hopefully not have staph so he can show his true potential

that was the first time he struggled with weight
Lee mentioned that the weight cut is too hard. He might move up to 170 for his next fight.

Kevin Lee said that in the post fight conference

Explain how

By KO'ing him. Gaethje isn't that good, worse defense in history. Well, maybe not. A while ago Nick Diaz fought a Japanese fighter and the Japanese fighter try to catch Diaz's punches. He got ko'd.

Tony can count himself lucky there are rounds in mma or the Motown Phenom would have killed him. Motown bless.

ROFL....but..Tony finished him in round 3. Tony bucked out of the mount near the end of round 1 and was working on sweeping Lee when the bell rang.

And almost every shot was blocked or missed completely when Lee had him mounted and was going for G n' P. Almost nothing landed clean. Jesus people....why do you think Lee was so frustrated at the end of that round and even tried to hit him after the bell? Wouldn't you be frustrated if you had someone fully mounted and barely landed a shot and then lost the position and the bell rang?

Having said all that...Lee showed improved striking, stroooong takedowns and his mount WAS fucking top notch. Tony is just that good, that's all. Lee is leap years ahead for a fighter his age and will no doubt be champ someday, I agree.

Umm.... Have you forgotten about undefeated Justin Gaethje? He's 24.

The guy that would probably beat Tony today and doesn't need a couple years.

Back