Kevin Lee wanted to put a beating on Barboza worst than Khabib

Espresso

Post USADA era will make UFC great again
@Silver
Reaction score
...and it almost cost him the fight. Finally, before rnd 5 he told his corner, "im just gonna win it for 5 more minutes"... Because he realized that Warboza wasnt going anywhere.

He was trying to fight for MMAth, by trying to finish Warboza unlike Khabib.

If he wouldve taken a more methodical approach and just be content with a decision after the beatdown he put on Barboza 1st and 2nd round, he wouldve likely came out of that fight untouched.

He is young, i hope he understands that some fans and especially Dana are buffoons for blaming fighters for not finishing their opponents.

I think when most fighters get in the cage the two things they fight for is money and MMAth

Last edited:
I just feel bad for Barboza. From now on, other fighters will say "You think those clowns beat down Barbo-what's his name? Wait till you see what he looks like after my 5 rounds with him!"

He's becoming the modern sacrificial Sakuraba lamb (though at least he isn't fighting guys 2 weight classes up).

Mission accomplished then
The beating was worse

He also didn't "just win for 5 more minutes", he stopped him.

i see that he stopped barboza and all but what im seeing on all of social media is that kevin lee dance after that spinning kick by barboza.

The dude needs some armbars. All he needed to do was watch a couple of mighty mouse's armbar finishes from GNP top control setup - he had many similar opportunities where the obvious finish was to snag a limb and step over.

If you want to build some unneccessary frustration, rewatch the fight and try to count how many times his corner should have given him the instruction "armbar!!"

He did put a bigger beating on Barboza than Khabib, but then ruined it by doing the chicken dance and in general eating some shots standing, then salvaged it in the end by getting the stoppage. It's a bit of a shame really that Barboza got taken down and gassed so early, because the few times they looked evenly matched it was a very exciting style matchup.

Khabib did better. Against Lee Barboza was able to shrimp, consistantly escape being mounted etc etc

Khabib made him look clueless and dumbfounded.

Khabib did better. Against Lee Barboza was able to shrimp, consistantly escape being mounted etc etc

Khabib made him look clueless and dumbfounded.
I agree. Seems like Lee started throwing elbow after elbow as soon as he had the chance.

Khabib shoots 3 elbows, gains a better position, shoots 3 more. Lays and prays for 3 seconds... All of a sudden hes on your back... 6 punches from there. Then a choke... Etc etc. just way more technical approach which puts opponents in the " i dont know what to do spot"

Watching Lee was like watching a poor man Khabib... Lee's got nothing on Khabib

The dude needs some armbars. All he needed to do was watch a couple of mighty mouse's armbar finishes from GNP top control setup - he had many similar opportunities where the obvious finish was to snag a limb and step over.

If you want to build some unneccessary frustration, rewatch the fight and try to count how many times his corner should have given him the instruction "armbar!!"

You have to give up position to go for an armbar. Kevin is not the type of fighter to do that. DJ does it because he is so much better than his opponents and knows he will win the fight anywhere. And even he only goes for it at the end of fights.

Both did well. Khabib controlled better and took Barboza's soul. Lee GnP him harder, but also got stank-legged and took more damage.

Kevin probably did more damage but he had 10 extra minutes, took more damage and had less control

I think Khabib's performance was more dominant but Kevin's was more damaging

i still feel like khabib has another level that we havent seen yet. maybe im wrong, but i just get a sense that he may have another gear in him.

Khabib wasn't even slightly hurt for one second during that fight. Kevin was on queer street and would've been finished if Barboza had any fight iq.

Khabib looked more relaxed than Lee I think. It was more natural and less forced on the ground.

Back