Kentucky Derby...and Beyond?

I'm down to seven who I'm considering using in some capacity or another; Girvin, Hence, Practical Joke, State of Honor, Lookin At Lee, Sonneteer (if he enters), and Classic Empire, who may be the toughest to make a decision on for a few different reasons. Still plenty of time, though. I'd like to get down to five to play in the Derby.
sorry for the newbie question, but what do you mean when you say "using in some capacity or another?" how can you use a horse in more than one capacity. I'm just trying to learn about horse betting so sorry for the beginner question.

sorry for the newbie question, but what do you mean when you say "using in some capacity or another?" how can you use a horse in more than one capacity. I'm just trying to learn about horse betting so sorry for the beginner question.

Meaning I may make a win bet on one or two. Possibly make a show bet. Or use some horses just in exactas and trifectas. Lots of wagering options in horse racing, so you can spread your selections around in different types.

@MacPherson911

e.g. Say I like the #4 horse best in the race today. I'll bet him to win. Then maybe I think the #7 horse is a good longshot with a good chance to hit the board. I'll play him to show. After that, if I'm playing for the exacta I may include both of those guys with another horse (say the #2) who looks like he could be a serious win contender.

So my bets would look like; #4 to win. #7 to show. #4, #2 over #4, #2, #7 in four separate exacta plays.

Terrible news. I hate when things like this happen.

Yeah, it sucks, T. I had some pretty high hopes for that guy to. But what can you do. If he breaks one of his legs bad enough there's not much of an option.

The Sunland Derby's 3rd place finisher, Hedge Fund, is running in the G3 Illinois Derby in the next hour or so. It'll be interesting to see if yet another horse can come out of that Sunland race looking good after Irap and Conquest Mo Money did so.

@MacPherson911

e.g. Say I like the #4 horse best in the race today. I'll bet him to win. Then maybe I think the #7 horse is a good longshot with a good chance to hit the board. I'll play him to show. After that, if I'm playing for the exacta I may include both of those guys with another horse (say the #2) who looks like he could be a serious win contender.

So my bets would look like; #4 to win. #7 to show. #4, #2 over #4, #2, #7 in four separate exacta plays.
ok I understand..thanks a lot. Lots of fun betting options in this sport.

That there is. Lots of potential for some very nice payouts as well, especially in a race like the Kentucky Derby. That also means that it's that much more difficult to hit on something too. But it's fun trying.

Hedge Fund sitting at 2/1 with 20 minutes to post. I'm a little surprised by that. Figured he'd be odds on in this field.

Hedge Fund loses the photo by a nose. My guess is that both him and the winner, Multiplier, are going to be pointed towards the Preakness next month.

Once you get the hang of the basics, I'd highly recommend following along with this thread. @Sharkey is extremely knowledgeable and you'll learn more from the information he posts here than anywhere else you're going to find IMO.

Also, if anyone is interested and has a 5d account, Hence is now up to +2500 to win the Derby.

Tomorrow will be Hence's last serious workout before the Derby. I'm sure he'll show himself well and tout himself a little more as a contender like he has been doing the last couple of weeks. Next week he'll likely just get an easy half mile in around 50 seconds, which is typical for Asmussen trained horses before the race.

Once you get the hang of the basics, I'd highly recommend following along with this thread. @Sharkey is extremely knowledgeable and you'll learn more from the information he posts here than anywhere else you're going to find IMO.
will do...I'm an very active MMA gambler, and I just got a new job literally a half mile from Emerald Downs here in the Seattle area so I've just decided to go there after work every Friday evening this spring and summer to bet and more importantly to learn about the sport. I went for the first time last Friday and was blown away by what I imagine was just a routine night at the races. Looking forward to learning more.

another noob question here: are there places online to stream live races? I can't find em but they've just gotta be there, right? for online betting? Thanks in advance for any tips!

another noob question here: are there places online to stream live races? I can't find em but they've just gotta be there, right? for online betting? Thanks in advance for any tips!

XBTV is usually pretty good about showing the major races on Saturdays, Mac. They also focus on full card coverage of tracks like Santa Anita and Gulfstream too.

http://www.xbtv.com/watch-live/

A lot of track also stream their races live on the net at their respective sites.

Girvin was supposed to have a workout this morning, but instead just jogged around the track for a little while. His trainer said the workout was going to be rescheduled for this coming Friday. Not want I'd want to see in a horse I was thinking about using, especially since he hasn't had a workout since the 15th. He may be a horse who is a little on the sore side as of now.

Not sure what I'm going to do now if Girvin isn't an option since I basically got down to five horses a few days ago after crossing State of Honor off my list. That leaves me with four now; Hence, Lookin At Lee, Practical Joke and Classic Empire, with me not being all that crazy about playing the latter. I wanted to use five, so I can either put State of Honor back in or hope that Sonneteer draws into the field. Or just play those four.

hi total noob here, and maybe this isn't the right place to post this...but what are the go-to online resources for learning about horse racing and wagering? I don't know very much at all but would love to learn much more! TIA

Sorry Mac. I just saw this post of yours now. I'm not really sure what the best places to go to learn about this stuff are, but drf.com has a section on their site (under the 'Learn' heading) that I'm guessing could give you an introductory to a lot of things;

http://www.drf.com/

Of course, if you have any questions I could try to help you out some as well.

Not sure what I'm going to do now if Girvin isn't an option since I basically got down to five horses a few days ago after crossing State of Honor off my list. That leaves me with four now; Hence, Lookin At Lee, Practical Joke and Classic Empire, with me not being all that crazy about playing the latter. I wanted to use five, so I can either put State of Honor back in or hope that Sonneteer draws into the field. Or just play those four.

Yeah, I can do four if I have to, and do a 2x4x4 in the exacta and trifecta with Hence & Classic Empire the two I use in the top spot. Doesn't give me the coverage I'd prefer, but that's okay since I'm not terribly anxious to play anybody else in the race unless Sonneteer somehow draws in. After that I can play Hence to win and then make some "break even" show bets on him and Lookin At Lee. Only using four might work out okay actually since I could cover all my options with about 30u and only need one of the show bets to cash to about break even. Yeah, I can do four.

I'm not crazy about betting Classic Empire either, although he does profile well enough (checks in 5) and he's one of the two (Hence being the other) who qualifies on that fast final fractions/Buckpasser X/Raise A Native angle I posted about last week. I'm not thrilled about his X, O thorograph pattern going into the Derby, but I'd rather play that pattern than play a horse coming off a big new top just because the sample size of the X, O pattern is a whole lot less when comparing the two patterns. i.e. I'd basically rather bet an 0 for 11 than an 0 for 51.

Sorry. Just thinking out loud here.

How many more days til the race again?

Back