Kentucky Derby...and Beyond?

Save for Smart Jones in 2004 when he needed 29 strides, every Kentucky Derby winner since 2000 was able to cover the final furlong in the Derby itself in less than 28 strides. Smarty Jones needed 27.5 strides to cover his final furlong in his last prep race before the Derby, though. More proof to me that this shit means something. 27.5 over that last furlong seems to be the cut off. If you can't show you can do that in your final prep at 9F then you aren't winning the Derby, and if recent history is any indication, aren't even finishing top 4. This stuff is going to eliminate a lot of horses as win or exotic candidates come Derby time me thinks. Thanks Irish War Cry. You may beat me later on today, but at least we're going to get something out of looking at your short striding ass.

According to my twitter feed there appears to be a heavy bias in favour of speed going on at Meydan right now.

folkwood had the lead an lost on the line, decorated knight beat it from an almost impossible line
Jungle Cat won

Not all that surprising since we figured as such based on his running lines and most recent workout, but the trainer of Three Rules just said that the plan was for his horse to be on the early lead. Takaful is going to want that same positioning too on the lead. A pace battle up front is all Gunnevera needs.

I hope that means that Gunnevera (and my other two) will have yet another horse vying for the early lead.

This year's Derby winner continues to get ready to run all these chumps into the ground;

Off to grab some lunch, make some bets, and hopefully not returning to see one of you guys telling me how much of an idiot I am. Best of luck to anybody playing the races today.

Off to grab some lunch, make some bets, and hopefully not returning to see one of you guys telling me how much of an idiot I am. Best of luck to anybody playing the races today.

Tailing everything as usual Shark. Only small changes I made: boxed Gunnevera/Huracan Americo/Made You Look in an exacta and did the same with So Conflated/El Areeb. Best of luck and thanks again for sharing all your hard work!

Gotham results;

1st - J Boys Echo
2nd - Cloud Computing
3rd - El Areeb

So Conflated didn't run a lick in finishing 6th. No excuse. Had a pace to run at in the race with El Areeb dueling with another horse up front, but just didn't run at all today for whatever reason.

Classic Empire, Uncontested, Mo Town, El Areeb, Ann Arbour Eddie. None of these heavy favourites have done much running in these recent preps save for McCraken in the Sam Davis.

Irish War Cry currently sitting at 1/5. Gunnevera sitting 5/1, Made You Look 22/1, and Huracan Americo 45/1.

Gunnevera gets us home at 4/1 as easy as can be. Irish War Cry finished way up the track in 9th I think. Awesome.

1st - Gunnevera
2nd - Practical Joke
3rd - Three Rules

Back