Kentucky Derby...and Beyond?

Oh shit, I just realized that the Pegasus is next weekend. I've been betting so many cheap claiming races the last couple months that I kinda lose track of when the really good horses run. Looks like it might be close to a full field too, which is always good even if the race is going to have a heavy favourite in Gun Runner.

Finished Aqueduct so far and this of course is all pre-scratches. Have a little rating in brackets that Blunt and I are working on (tweaked a little today, though), and these are the top 2 on them;

Race 3 - #1 Doyouknowsomething 6/5 (475) or #5 Harlan Punch 9/5 (466)

Race 4 - #3 Cheyene Bull 6/1 (441) or #9 Glennrichment 9/2 (436)

Race 5 - #7 Benevolence 5/2 (435) or #2 Bear Clause 4/1 (430)

Race 6 - #2 Professor Snape 10/1 (440) or #3 Scarf It Down 3/1 (436)

Race 7 - #6 Hammerin Aamer 2/1 (467) or #3 Donji 8/1 (455)

Race 8 - #6 Forest Blue 12/1 (448) or #5 Polar Jet 8/1 (447)

Now on to Gulfstream...

...Yeah, nevermind that. Only two races that I could look at at Gulfstream, and both are going to have 3/5 favourites in them who look tough to beat on the number, so I'm not even going to bother.

Finished Aqueduct so far and this of course is all pre-scratches. Have a little rating in brackets that Blunt and I are working on (tweaked a little today, though), and these are the top 2 on them;

Race 4 - #3 Cheyene Bull 6/1 (441) or #9 Glennrichment 9/2 (436)

Race 5 - #7 Benevolence 5/2 (435) or #2 Bear Clause 4/1 (430)

Race 6 - #2 Professor Snape 10/1 (440) or #3 Scarf It Down 3/1 (436)

Race 7 - #6 Hammerin Aamer 2/1 (467) or #3 Donji 8/1 (455)

Race 8 - #6 Forest Blue 12/1 (448) or #5 Polar Jet 8/1 (447)

Looks like none of these guys have scratched today, so I think I'm going to make win and place bets on the top ranked horse for each race for $4/$7, and then make some $2 exacta boxes with the top 2 for each race as well because why the hell not.

Last edited:
@BluntTrauma21 might have a race or two for us to play as well later on in the day since he has already done the numbers for a stakes race at Golden Gate.

Race 3 - #1 Doyouknowsomething 6/5 (475) or #5 Harlan Punch 9/5 (466)

This has become a 4 horse field now with 2 scratches, so I'm not even going to bother betting it. Still on for races 4 through 8, though.

Going to try race 9 at Aqueduct today too;

#1 Lightning Buzz 3/1 (415) and #5 Valyrian 7/2 (399)

Same $4 to win and $7 to place on Lightning Buzz, and then the $2 exacta box with him and Valyrian.

I missed out on the first two races of the day, I see Benevolence came in for you @Sharkey. Nice, I'm in on all plays for races 6-9. Thanks for sharing bud.

And just as I'm typing I see our horses finished 3rd and 4th in race 6. Didn't get to see the race but I did see there was a photo for place.

Ok, well Forge went wire to wire and won by 8 lengths. Not much you can do there.

Ok, well Forge went wire to wire and won by 8 lengths. Not much you can do there.

I missed the race live and didn't get to see much of the replay yet. But I think we lost out on the place just in the last few strides there in race 6. Would have been a good place payout too since the horse had less than 5% of the place pool. Also lost the place position in race 4 by a half length at the end. Bit of tough luck so far besides Benevolence coming through.

Yeah, Professor Snape had the place position with at least a couple lengths on the 3rd horse halfway through the stretch then just got leg weary late, and a couple got by him. Too bad.

Is it too much to ask a horse to pick his feet up? That was flat 3rd right there by our horse.

Race 5 at Fair Grounds - $4 to win and $6 to place on the #11 Tale of Beaucette (8/1 morning line)

How are you guys playing this one? Win/place, exacta or both?
I played Choo choo to win only since the odds are so short. Will follow what Shark ends up doing tho.

Back