Kendo , kenjutsu , iaido ?

barca2012

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with any of these ? I'm considering give it a try.
Thoughts and experiences ?

Can't say that I do, but you might want to check out the reddit's for those martial arts. You will find a lot of good information on them
EqualClumsyEasternnewt-size_restricted.gif

Anyone have experience with any of these ? I'm considering give it a try.
Thoughts and experiences ?
Have ni idea what the last one is, but a buddy of mine studied kendo for a couple of years. It's good exercise and if you get a decent teacher he'd fill you in on Japanese culture as well.

I've done Kendo before. It's badass.

Got to 3 Dan in Kendo before having to stop for the last year due to a knee injury... and politics which is annoying as fuck keeping me from being able to pass 4 Dan.

No cluse what Kenjutsu is... and personally I think Iaido is useless as it's all about drawing the sword against an imaginary opponent with nothing but structured katas.

Any real questions you want answered about kendo?

Kendo is probably your only serious option.

Where would you learn Kenjitsu or Iaido?

It will be a useful skill after the nuclear holocaust. Bullets will be too valuable to waste on regular thugs so swordsmanship will be critical.

Kendo is a lot of fun, but can be pretty expensive, given the cost of the equipment. If you do kendo, there is a pretty good chance that a few of the practitioners also do iaido.

Got to 3 Dan in Kendo before having to stop for the last year due to a knee injury... and politics which is annoying as fuck keeping me from being able to pass 4 Dan.

No cluse what Kenjutsu is... and personally I think Iaido is useless as it's all about drawing the sword against an imaginary opponent with nothing but structured katas.

Any real questions you want answered about kendo?

Kenjutsu means, "Technique of the Sword". It's the old battlefield techniques of the pre-Meiji era. Kendo evolved from the Kenjutsu ryu.

Just for TS, this is a match I was involved in.

I'm on the team with the white flags on our back. The two last members on the other team with the red flags were the two captains of Team Canada at that point....

I'm the fat one... I practice (or.. practiced) with those guys for awhile until I got inured last year. ONly ever beat the guy I face in this match once and I am still not entirely positive he didn't let me win at practice.

Kendo is probably your only serious option.

Where would you learn Kenjitsu or Iaido?
Most Kendo dojos also offer Iaido.

Kenjutsu means, "Technique of the Sword". It's the old battlefield techniques of the pre-Meiji era. Kendo evolved from the Kenjutsu ryu.
You'd be hard pressed to find any place that teaches that then.

Depends on where TS is based. There are several Kenjutsu schools in the UK. But it is much harder to find a Kenjutsu school than a BJJ or MMA class.

Personally, I don't see the appeal of practicing a martial art that has no self defence application. But to each their own.

Kenjutsu is for real deal swordmanship. But it's hard to find a legit school. I've got 20 years under my belt.

Kendo is a watered down version, and is for bitches who can use a bokken or naked blade.

Iaido is a watered down version of Iaijutsu. It' focuses on spirituality more than actual combat. That also is for bitches.

Can't say that I do, but you might want to check out the reddit's for those martial arts. You will find a lot of good information on them
EqualClumsyEasternnewt-size_restricted.gif
Not cool dude, making fun of other people's suffering is not cool.

Back