Kendo/Judo carryover for boxing

ironfist123

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Greetings everyone,

I am currently an amateur boxer training in a gym residing in Washington state. This is my first post and thread. I signed up to Sherdog due to mass variety of users in different disciplines of martial arts, in hope for an answer to my question.

About 3 months ago, head coach of my gym brought in a 16 year old kid that just came from Japan to our gym and have been personally training him for the time being. Last week, coach ask if I was willing to be that kid's first sparring partner, in which I gladly obliged. I am an amateur boxer with 3-1 record, as well as bigger in height, reach, and weight. Long story short, I was annihilated from start to end. He would always put me in awkward angles and especially every time I wanted to clinch, I would be punished for it.

After the sparring match, I asked him for his experience in boxing and he replied "I have never boxing before coming here, not even a brawl. But the competitive Kendo and Judo experience carried over pretty well." I have been thinking about this every day since. I have never had experience with either, but I have seen people in the gym from karate and kickboxing, they have never done too well.

Is this a prank from head coach bringing an established amateur boxer from Japan or is there really such carry over? There are a few reasons why I think it is the former rather than the later.

1. During our sparring match, he was too calm and focused. He only punched hard when I tried brute force my way out of a corner. Most people sparring for first time will be tense and trying to lay bombs all the time. I have never seen someone like him.

2. Head coach was not only putting all focus on that kid 5 days a week. But I found out our head coach was paying for his gym membership and a strength and conditioning coach. That is too much of an investment, especially when there is no way of knowing if that kid is talent before the sparring match.

3. What really prompt me for this thread was that just yesterday, a pro boxer that have a really good amateur record was literally humiliated in their sparring match. The pro boxer also told me how impossible it would be that this is his 4th sparring session.

So I would like to hear the people from this forum. I admit I am a bit butt hurt but this is more of satisfying my curiosity.

Thank you guys much.

99.9 percent chance he's lying, kids do that you know. usually it's embellishment and not saying he never did it before.

also, is it a gym near seattle?

Kendo is a Traditional martial art form of sword fighting, fencing would have made much much more sense...
Judo is a grappling martial art.. not striking. Karate would have made much more sense also.

If this is all true then your coach found some sort of monster "physical specimen/Natural genius talent".

Wonder how Roy Jones' first days in gym went...

Idk, man, I can relate to what ur saying both in mind and heart. If it was a prank caoch would have told someone sooner or later.

Imagine if we hear about this kid on Showtime in 5 years, lol.

99.9 percent chance he's lying, kids do that you know. usually it's embellishment and not saying he never did it before.

I am getting the same feeling, I am guessing a high school boxing champion or runner up in Japan. If he was a few years older, I would even think he is a pro boxer.

I think we are an hour or so from Seattle but close enough.

Kendo is a Traditional martial art form of sword fighting, fencing would have made much much more sense...
Judo is a grappling martial art.. not striking. Karate would have made much more sense also.

If this is all true then your coach found some sort of monster "physical specimen/Natural genius talent".

Wonder how Roy Jones' first days in gym went...

Idk, man, I can relate to what ur saying both in mind and heart. If it was a prank caoch would have told someone sooner or later.

Imagine if we hear about this kid on Showtime in 5 years, lol.

Yeah man, sparring with him was a pride breaking nightmare. The pro boxer and I just had a talk earlier and he told me, he almost wanted to quit boxing after that sparring session. If this is a prank, coach better let other boxers know soon. This is hurting the morale of all the competitive boxers near that kids weight class.

He must have learned some stuff you didn't, your coach didn't teach him that so I'd even wonder what your coach is teaching you. I made guys kinda look bad and I had no "official" experience but I'd studied the shit for years and years and years, but a guy off the street just being advanced? Hell no. Even the great boxers weren't any good when the first started, Ali didn't show signs of promise for his first year, and the great Sugar Ray Robinson wasn't even allowed to fight for a good while by the ever doubtful George Gainford. I don't want to talk shit about a coach that I don't know but if he is any good, he should know how to make sparring matchups without destroying morale.

You've clearly never been embarrassed by a girl who's about 20lbs lighter than you yet.

N-not that I have... Just... Just an example!!!

Back