Ken shamrock worst declined fighter ever ?

Honestly I think Ken just benefited from him era. I don't think he was anything special to be honest but in those times he surely was. Don't get me wrong he would do better in his prime than he does now or after those 4 years away from the sport but I just don't think he was ever great. Good but no one aspect of his game did I find amazing.
Not his grappling ?

Ken Shamrock should have retired after the Rich Franklin fight. Though a short fight, he looked good, but also old. There would have been no shame going off on a loss to Franklin, seeing where Franklin's career went after that fight.

Since then he looked like garbage in every fight, got popped for roids, and developed chin so weak he'd probably get koed in a pillow fight.

Idonotbelieveit is the last of a dieing breed and is my hero.

Damn right, him and "Fujita" and that even older guy with that "Ken in Bas guard" av... Jarmal404 or something?
Fierce Ken defenders. Huge Bas haters. I just hope TS isn't all of these guys combined, I want to believe....

Ken and Frank really messed up by never fighting each other, Frank was happy to milk the "Shamrock vs Gracie" rivalry that Ken started with Royce, fighting Cesar & Renzo himself;
That would have been fair to accept that last big money fight for Ken.

But playing Captain Insight ain't gonna help, Ken still had a great career, and without him to push him hard at the beginning, we would have never seen Frank in a ring/cage...
Great career, but participating in that fixed fight against Kimbo was the last straw for me.

His grappling was heavily dependent on his strength and athleticism, much more so than great technique. Old age and injuries hit those 2 things hard which caused a quick and dramatic drop off.

Palhares is basically a modern equivalent of prime Ken Shamrock (obviously Harris is more technical of the two).

Not his grappling ?

Maybe I'm just hard on him. I don't think his wrestling is great and the reason he could grapple with Royce was his strength. His subs were good but I don't think he was ever great. He got subbed himself a fair amount if I recall.

No seriously Idonotbelieveit, I was and still am a Ken Shamrock fan ever since I was 10, and I'm 29 now. I read all your posts and relate, definitely a fan

It's crazy because had Shamrock not have returned from his career in WWF, he may have been considered as one of the best ever.

It's just in his blood to fight, even at his age now he's unbelievably passionate about it and would probably take a fight against anybody.
I think his financial situation has more to do with the continuous need to fight.

guy was the best fighter of the lions den
He was for sure the most well rounded. Pro Kickboxer, BJJ brown belt, and state highschool champion in wrestling.

Shame he was robbed of some elite wins in Pride and a shame he had to retire before the third Tito match. By that time Guy was actually cutting weight to make 205 and had alot of high level mma experience (I think he would of beaten Tito if they had fought a third time).

Wonder how people would of viewed him if the had gotten the nod against Nog, Sakuraba, and Arona (Sakuraba fight he won and you could easily argue he won the other two as well).

Wonder how people would of viewed him if the had gotten the nod against Nog, Sakuraba, and Arona (Sakuraba fight he won and you could easily argue he won the other two as well).
guy should have got a tko over arona

Not really its just his decline was very much in the public eye. From what I've seen of Ken he is in pretty good shape for a 50 odd year old.

Honestly, I think Bob Sapp is by far the worse. To go out and more or less take dives after one punch is pathetic and a disgrace to the sport. The promoters that gave him money, shame on them for contributing to the madness. This went on for way too long.

Classless

He was old and came off like 4 years wrestling when he started to decline so its no shock it happened when it did.

Right. And he was still a pretty game fighter when he came back a long layoff (wars against Fujita, Frye, etc.). His decline wasn't nearly as sudden as someone like Josh Koscheck. Kos went from losing a controversial SD to Prime Hendricks to getting finished in 6 out of 6 fights...the last one to a fighter who's pretty much journeyman level.

Gray Maynard had a similar decline. Both fighters seemed to lose their chin, confidence and will to win at the same time.

Honestly I think Ken just benefited from him era. I don't think he was anything special to be honest but in those times he surely was. Don't get me wrong he would do better in his prime than he does now or after those 4 years away from the sport but I just don't think he was ever great. Good but no one aspect of his game did I find amazing.

He was a top fighter before he left the sport. Your "not anything special" criticism applies to anyone in that era if you use today's standards. All fighters back then were either totally one-dimensional or lacking in many skills that mid-level fighters have today.

When Ken submitted Severn (first fight), I think he was the best NHB fighter in the world--at least for a brief period before Coleman, Kerr, etc. came. Ken also beat Bas, Oleg, Kimo, etc. and would've beaten Royce in the rematch if there were judges.

Back