Ken Shamrock vs Sam Adkins

Of all of the fighters who have kept fighting past their prime, I don't think there's a worse example of decline than Ken. There's a few other examples like Tank, Jens, BJ and others, but Ken just looked fucking TERRIBLE since he came back from the WWF
I agree and new fans don't know how good he was
Most think he was overrated and the bum who got beat by Tito
Prime ken was an animal

Of all of the fighters who have kept fighting past their prime, I don't think there's a worse example of decline than Ken. There's a few other examples like Tank, Jens, BJ and others, but Ken just looked fucking TERRIBLE since he came back from the WWF

I think that’s because his downfall spanned a couple decades.
Had several odd stoppages and fights as well that didn’t look right.
Anyways. Always a fan.

I think that’s because his downfall spanned a couple decades.
Had several odd stoppages and fights as well that didn’t look right.
Anyways. Always a fan.
He did have a few rich and fujita
But not fixed imo
Ken rich he was going for rolling leg lock ala a famous move from his teacher funaki used to pull off but his knees are shot
Fujita fight he burned him self out with 2 weeks training for the fight . He looked good too
Kimbo I have no words

But not fixed imo
Ken rich he was going for rolling leg lock ala a famous move from his teacher funaki used to pull off but his knees are shot
Fujita fight he burned him self out with 2 weeks training for the fight . He looked good too
Kimbo I have no words
I think we all tend to wish that Kimbo fight was a work. Ken has never seemed to have lady luck on his side, even at his peak but that was just so hard to see. I'd be happier if it legit did come out to be a work

But not fixed imo
Kimbo I have no words
And the Sakuraba fight. And Royce 3.

In both cases, the stoppage was ok but I can’t figure out why he reacted the way he did during the fights.

Dang, Pardoe looks like a HW who's a part-time bodybuilder. He also had 1st round losses to Jardine, Rashad and Frye, though.
Looks like Mark Kerr

the message boards that night were so busy, waiting for results to come in.

But not fixed imo
Kimbo I have no words

His fight with sakuraba. And the latest Royce fight. That actually bothered me.
He wanted this fight so bad and feigned a nut shot.
I’ve been hit in the balls Dozens and dozens of times. He tried to flop for the ref and play dead imo.
Yeah he loOked good against fujita and I think Otsuka
And when he cornered Mezger against sakuraba was odd .
Sure It was fucked up. But no need to send him Back to the locker room.
Mezger was the better fighter that night. It was his night.

His fight with sakuraba. And the latest Royce fight. That actually bothered me.
He wanted this fight so bad and feigned a nut shot.
I’ve been hit in the balls Dozens and dozens of times. He tried to flop for the ref and play dead imo.
Yeah he loOked good against fujita and I think Otsuka
And when he cornered Mezger against sakuraba was odd .
Sure It was fucked up. But no need to send him Back to the locker room.
Mezger was the better fighter that night. It was his night.
Mezger vs SAKU was a close and tough to score fight imo

They were still cool then so wouldn't happen

Yes I agree though . Ken of 96 kills him great timing in 03

Competitive in 03 imo

By '03 I think Ken was spent. He was never the same after the first Tito fight. I know he worked Kimo over, but that's not saying a whole lot. I've always been a fan, and I credit Ken with sparking my interest in MMA and I'll always idolize him to some extent, but once his natural athleticism started deteriorating he couldn't keep up with anyone anymore. I mean, he strikes me as a guy who was simply stronger, tougher, and more athletic than most other fighters. He had a limited skill set when most people didn't have any real skill set. But once he couldn't just bully guys anymore, his career fell apart. I think one of his saddest fights was against Pedro Rizzo, who just walked right though him.

By '03 I think Ken was spent. He was never the same after the first Tito fight. I know he worked Kimo over, but that's not saying a whole lot. I've always been a fan, and I credit Ken with sparking my interest in MMA and I'll always idolize him to some extent, but once his natural athleticism started deteriorating he couldn't keep up with anyone anymore. I mean, he strikes me as a guy who was simply stronger, tougher, and more athletic than most other fighters. He had a limited skill set when most people didn't have any real skill set. But once he couldn't just bully guys anymore, his career fell apart. I think one of his saddest fights was against Pedro Rizzo, who just walked right though him.

Hmmm...I actually have a lil bit more hespect for his skillset...

When you think about it, this was a guy, a complete rookie, who went to
Funaki´s gym knowing very little about the ground game, but then
went on to work on it to the point where he became a force in early Pancrase.

This same guy, later, managed to neutralize Beast´s wrestling [ok, not in
his physical prime, but still...]

That´s impressive, imo.

What do you think would have happened to Ken if he fought Igor Vovchancyn? They were suppose to fight, then Tra Telligman stepped in as a replacement.

I think Ken would have gassed trying to control Igor or maybe gone for an ankle lock and ate some Igor bombs for his troubles.

Hmmm...I actually have a lil bit more hespect for his skillset...

When you think about it, this was a guy, a complete rookie, who went to
Funaki´s gym knowing very little about the ground game, but then
went on to work on it to the point where he became a force in early Pancrase.

This same guy, later, managed to neutralize Beast´s wrestling [ok, not in
his physical prime, but still...]

That´s impressive, imo.

In the early days, he was impressive. But by 2003 the sport had changed tremendously and his skill set was no longer elite. That, and his body was starting to break down, so he was unable to bully his opponents. 1996 was a different story, obviously.

In the early days, he was impressive. But by 2003 the sport had changed tremendously and his skill set was no longer elite. That, and his body was starting to break down, so he was unable to bully his opponents. 1996 was a different story, obviously.
ah ...by 2003, his age was a whoopin 39... His decline had naturally lil to do with the evolution of the sport or his skill set.

Realistically, he was no longer in his physical prime by the time he signed with Pride.

Heck, he even had some stroke symptoms vs Fujita...

Last edited:
Mezger vs SAKU was a close and tough to score fight imo

You’re probably right. I haven’t seen the fight in over a decade. I thought guy won the fight everywhere and I thought he clearly won.
There were no overtime’s and a winner had to be decided. That’s not what happened. Shamrock made guy quit which was lame.

Fair or not. Saku winning was the best result as we got to see saku vs Royce.

Ken was always elite
He hung with his teachers funaki and suzuki
He got old
And he taught frank cacc

ah ...by 2003, his age was a whoopin 39... His decline had naturally lil to do with the evolution of the sport or his skill set.

Realistically, he was no longer in his physical prime by the time he signed with Pride.

Heck, he even had some stroke symptoms vs Fujita...
Vs fujita probably most evolved ken version but just not trained
He trained 2 weeks for that fight
He out wrestled fujita was Olympic level in greco

Back