Ken Burns The Vietnam War

Scott Parker 27

Your Mom's Box
@Brown
Reaction score
Don't tell me I am the only one here watching this. The series aired this week on pbs. You may know ken burns from his 10 part documentaries on the civil war and baseball. This Vietnam war one is pretty amazing and I recommend it, especially since many vietnam vets are still around that you can ask about the war in your own life. Any one else watching this, or am I on an island by myself?

Last edited:
I need too watch.

Ken Burns is a master of history.

Anyone seen the West?

250px-KenBurnsPresentsTheWest.jpg

Saw a couple of episodes it was very well done

This has been on my radar for a few months but I haven't started it yet.

I do want to check it out, and I definitely will, but honestly I've been dragging my feet because Vietnam is just not that interesting to me. I really wish he had chosen another subject to invest this kind of time in.

I need too watch.

Ken Burns is a master of history.

Anyone seen the West?

250px-KenBurnsPresentsTheWest.jpg

I've seen the first couple of episodes of The West. I need to finish it at some point. At this point I'll probably just start over from the beginning.

Probably important to point out that it's not actually a Ken Burns film though.

I've seen The West / Baseball / Civil War / Dust bowl by Ken Burns defenetly gonna give this a watch

His bit on Prohibition was very good and flew under the radar.

Oh, and his doc on Jack Johnson was top notch.

I'm watching this.

I'm watching it very, very slowly because there is so much information.

It's fantastic.

Ive seen Baseball, The Dust Bowl and Jack Johnson and they're all top notch
Didnt know about The West until I just saw it in this thread
Will try to watch that soon

I am two episodes in and think it is great.

I am shamefully ignorant on this subject matter. I just know bits and pieces and the show is really giving a great overview to tie things together for me.

Since I am not knowledgeable on the topic I am curious what the critics of the show are saying the show misses or doesn't give enough emphasis.

The first two episodes really drive home the point that the Vietnamese were mostly fighting for independence and the US misread it as a fight against communism. The South was all fucked up with corruption where there was little unity with different factions and no real determination to focus and sacrifice to win. The US from the start had a shit hand and kept playing it.

It's exhaustive as usual with him.
I know the history well but it's very worth watching

I'm guessing they cover the My Lai Massacre

Sad thing is the scum in charge got off

I'm a few days behind. It's really good.

I've only seen The Civil War and Jazz from Ken Burns. I've been meaning to watch Jack Johnson and Prohibition as well.

I tried to watch The Dust Bowl but I found it rather dry.

Back