Kelvin is too small for 185

DannyNL

The King is BACK, baby!
Banned
Reaction score
People were convinced that he was a legit 185lber because he beat a washed up/rusty version of Tim Kennedy and a decrepit, non-TRT version of Vitor. Jumped the gun.

Tonight proved he has no business at 185. Chris looked a weight class bigger than him, not only in height but in thickness. Middleweight is a division of small heavyweights. Everyone in the top 10 is 6'0" or taller, and he's 5'9".

Kelvin will be a tough fight for anyone because he's fast, has great cardio and can take a punch, but he really fucked himself by getting kicked out of the welterweight division, just like Johny Hendricks.

Gastelum has only lost once at MW. He's a good fighter at that weight class IMO

Yes, totally agree and have been saying this for weeks. He also has work to do in the bjj department if he plans to stay at MW and fight the likes or Rockhold, Jacare, Romero etc..

He needs to head down to WW. He's a contender there.

I think he just had too much confidence in his ability on the ground against a high-level wrestler and sub guy.

Gastelum has only lost once at MW. He's a good fighter at that weight class IMO
He's 5'9" with average reach for that height, which is way below average for the division. The top guys are all huge too. He's giving up 4" in height and reach against most of the top guys!

Being between #6-10 in the division speaks volumes though. He isn't gonna beat top 5 guys, but the guy is legit. I dont think he can make 170 consistently, so this will have to do foe him.

He has a hellll of a chin on him, but yes he lost to the "I'm bigger and stronger than you" choke and really struggled with Chris' reach. He split decisioned Woodley with a terrible weight cut, he could be WW champ right now if he got his diet in order.

No doubt.

Let's face it... Unless you're a once-in-a-lifetime talent like Conor, you're not going to be able to beat a man in the octagon who's three times your size.

It's too bad there isn't a super ww division for Gastelum

He's right there between ww and mw, just like Hendricks and Lombard

If they ever started a new division, that should be it

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/after-teh-chris-destroys-gastelum.3577331/

tumblr_m7oqutXYfN1r5c792o1_400.gif

Honestly I think it's only a matter of time before he competes for the belt at 185. He's young and got caught in a bad matchup with a grapple heavy opponent. Would love to see him take on Rockhold, Bisping, or Whittaker. I bet you he more than holds his own.

no kidding he knows this aswell i believe in a interview he even stated that he cant beat top MWs wiedmand was included ufc wont let him fight at 170 b/c he missed weight a few times and didnt even weigh in for the cowboy fight last yr

Middleweight is a more natural weight class for him than Welterweight. The weight cut to WW began to be way too much, so he started cutting to MW instead. He lost one time, it's not the end o the world, calm down.

He's not Johny Hendricks. He has some wins over guys who crushed the current MW champ. He's got the strength and power, but is just lacking in reach.

Idk this guy was so far off from 170 against Cerrone that they couldn't even make a catchweight. There is a life changing amount of improvement to discipline he needs to make to make a run at welterweight.

He knows all of that and still can't stick to a diet.

He deserves to get his taco pushed in at MW till he opts for the side salad

I thought there was a big size and reach difference between Kelvin and Weidman. I was sure Weidman was going to use that again him and wrestle fuck him, good finish by Weidman btw forgot how underrated his submission game is. his always going to be at a disadvantage against top middle weights, Rockhold can hit Kelvin from across the cage with his long ass reach.

I think he defeats the 'champ' of this divisions.

Ideal will be WW of course but tonight he was a MW.

Back