Kelvin Gastelum would make easy work of Robert Whittaker

I think you meant to say Robert Whittaker would make easy work of Kelvin Gastelum. Whittaker has already soundly beaten better strikers and better wrestlers then Gastelum. Also Whittaker is still getting better where gastelum was pretty good coming into the ufc and hasnt really gotten too much better. Whittaker by TkO Rd 3
Kelvin smokes anyone that whittaker has ever fought, except maybe romero. But hes still a better striker than yoel by far

Whittaker is overrated, hes beaten a bunch of sloppy grapplers like yoel and jacare. Whittaker gets put on a stretcher in the 1st round. Easy KO

Do you dream of Gollum, TS?

Kelvin smokes anyone that whittaker has ever fought, except maybe romero. But hes still a better striker than yoel by far

Whittaker is overrated, hes beaten a bunch of sloppy grapplers like yoel and jacare

Jacare would probably beat Gastelum and this is coming from a Gastelum fan. Whittaker has by far the better competition even if I think Gastelum is the worst style possible for Whittaker.

Have u seen him ever shoot for a TD? He uses his wrestling for Tdd, thats it.

I was being sarcastic with the Australian Wrestling thing. No disrespect to them, but they're not considered powerhouses on the world spectrum as far as I know.

Whittaker is overrated, hes beaten a bunch of sloppy grapplers like yoel and jacare. Whittaker gets put on a stretcher in the 1st round. Easy KO
You dropped this 8=gastelum==D---
lol jk. Gastelum is pretty good but nah ill take whittaker. I also think if gastelum can pull of another win before whittaker returns then he should get the title shot over romero considering romero just lost and he missed weight for a title fight

He hasnt beaten a better striker

And Gus demolishes Stipe in 1 round

Shogun had beaten far better fighters than Jones, and look how that turned out

I hate being this guy....but......yea

Bobbert is an absolute animal right now. He beat Yoel on one leg practically ffs....I think you are being a little silly acting like its not even a possibility

Does anyone remember if Whittaker took Romero down in the fifth round of their fight or did Romero slip? Honestly don't remember how that happened short of Whittaker being on top of Yoel at one point.

Thompson would school both of these fatfucks.

TS might be right. I agree with that Gastelum might be the toughest matchup for him at MW, but that's because styles make fights. Most of the top MW's are sub-par strikers but excellent grapplers, Whittaker is tailor made to beat guys like that, Kelvin not so much. It's an interesting fight, because if there is someone who can hang with Whittaker on the feet, it's Gastelum.

However, I think Gastelum has a difficult time beating the bigger grapplers in the top 5, Jacare, Weidman, Rockhold (if he goes back to his grappling ways) and Romero, while I see Whittaker beat those guys 9/10 times.

It's interesting. Gastelum is a pressure fighter, but Whittaker is excellent at countering. Whittaker could easily win by KO, but so could Kelvin. If Kelvin keeps him guessing by mixing up the striking with TD attempts, Whittaker might wilt.

Down the line, I'd love to see Kelvin back at 170, because I think no-one beats him at that weight anymore. He improved so much since his close decision loss against Woodley.

I definitely think KG has the best chance in the Top 10 at MW to beat Whittaker however I don't think it would be easy work but I wouldn't be surprised to see him get another KO as they both play into each others game and Kelvin has an iron chin.

With that said I think people really overlook Kelvin's TDD/Grappling just because Weidman a much larger fighter/2nd best wrestler in the division could take him down, AND despite those two things lets not forget even then Kelvin was able to scramble back to his feet a few times.

Kelvin is a real problem to deal with at 185 and would probably be champ at 170 if he simply worked with Tyler Minton the best nutritionist in the game.

Outside of Romero, I'd definitely concur with that assessment.

Whittaker's ability to gauge distance with his superb takedown defense vs Gastelum's power in his hands, cardio/pressure and the fact that like Whittaker, he improves as the fight goes along. Gastelum might be a bit too hittable though for me to feel really confident in him though.
I agree which is interesting because he gives up height/reach at both 170-185

With that said I think people really overlook Kelvin's TDD/Grappling just because Weidman a much larger fighter/2nd best wrestler in the division could take him down, AND despite those two things lets not forget even then Kelvin was able to scramble back to his feet a few times.

I think the problem with that is I saw guys like Neil Magny and Nico Musoke take him down to. Gastelum does a great job of getting unstuck when taken down but it is a bit of a problem to get put into that situation to begin with. It's not a fatal flaw (there aren't many Weidmans who can take you down at will when theyre fresh at 185 lbs) but a flaw nonetheless.

That's some pretty slick trolling TS. Got you some juicy, juicy bites. Obviously not a true noob.

Bravo.

I think both get destoryed by thiago santos, hes a sleeper waiting in the wings

He hasnt beaten a better striker

And Gus demolishes Stipe in 1 round

Shogun had beaten far better fighters than Jones, and look how that turned out

Look man, I'm kinda with you on the whole Gastelum thing, he poses an interesting threat to Whittaker, still think Whittaker would win but it won't be easy.

But this Gus vs Stipe thing is just...I mean dude...I, I don't get it
Do you just hate Stipe? Do you give him that few credit?

I mean, I like Gus but Stipe would murder him, absolutely murder him.

Fatsellum will get subbed by Jacare again.

Whittaker vs Gastelum is one of the best potential fights at MW, and Kelvin is a legitimate threat, but I wouldn't expect him to run through Robert like he did Bisping. Whittaker is on a completely different level.

Back