Kelly Pavlik: your assessment?

Ive never really understood why people thought Williams was anything special even when he was fighting. I mean he was like the antithesis of Tommy Hearns.

Tommy took his physical gifts and took it to the next level skill wise.
Paul was like the exact opposite. Actually pretty disappointing almost.

Ive never really understood why people thought Williams was anything special even when he was fighting. I mean he was like the antithesis of Tommy Hearns.

Tommy took his physical gifts and took it to the next level skill wise.
Paul was like the exact opposite. Actually pretty disappointing almost.
Pwill was a good fighter until he had his chin cracked.

Pwill was a good fighter until he had his chin cracked.
I disagree. I think he was tall, had great stamina, and could throw a lot of punches at a time.

But he didn't have good technique, his defense was ABYSMAL, and he had zero power.

Here's the thing too. I am cool if a guys has his own style of fighting. Maybe he doesn't throw punches in a conventional way or maybe he doesn't have power so he relies on other things.

But I always thought this guy literally just got by on being taller than everyone, having a long reach and good stamina. I mean good on him I guess, he had a nice career. But it's not a particularly impressive way of fighting imo. His way of winning was to basically get the shit kicked out of him and just try to outlast the other guy.

But eh. I guess he did ok for himself.

I disagree. I think he was tall, had great stamina, and could throw a lot of punches at a time.

But he didn't have good technique, his defense was ABYSMAL, and he had zero power.

Here's the thing too. I am cool if a guys has his own style of fighting. Maybe he doesn't throw punches in a conventional way or maybe he doesn't have power so he relies on other things.

But I always thought this guy literally just got by on being taller than everyone, having a long reach and good stamina. I mean good on him I guess, he had a nice career. But it's not a particularly impressive way of fighting imo. His way of winning was to basically get the shit kicked out of him and just try to outlast the other guy.

But eh. I guess he did ok for himself.
You know me pal, Sergio is my favourite fighter. But pwill was a dangerous welter. Not a prime jmw.

Why would anyone cherry pick Sergio Martinez in his prime? Cherry picking and Sergio Martinez shouldn't be in the same sentence. Come on, bruh.

You sound like you just were not watching boxing when this shit went down. At this period Martinez was still a bit of an unknown in the U.S. His first fight on HBO was against Bunema which he won, then he had a draw against Cintron & then got beat by Pwill in a Foty canidate. Then Kelly fought him. He wasn't considered P4P at the time Kelly fought him. He was just some fringe titlist.

Pavlik probably would have won the Martinez fight if not for getting cut which signalled that big turn in momentum, or at least come out very close. It would be remembered differently anyway. Pavlik at that stage would have beaten Paul Williams who wasn't crafty or slick or anything, he was just the kind of guy that Pavlik needed.

Williams was an ideal matchup for Pavlik. That's clear as day, man.
It's not all about style matchups dude. This is post Bhop Pavlik were talking about here, the alcoholic Pavlik who was in rehab, getting into bar brawls & pulling out of fights for stupid reasons (like punching through a window). His personal life was all fucked up at this time & Paul could have definetly beaten him regardless of the style matchup because he was such a mess.

Fuck off.
Sean, I understand you had issues at nobs, but please stop telling me to fuck off. I haven't been aggressive towards you and I try and discuss boxing. Don't lower yourself to this bullshit. If you want to do so fine, im perfectly happy to own you. I'd rather keep it civil.

It's also funny how everyone talks about Paul's shit defence but no one is mentioning how bad Pavliks was. Pavlik was not a good defensive fighter. Taylor beat him down horrifically early in their 1st fight. Martinez & Bhop connected easy on him. Edison fucking Miranda landed a shit ton of punches on Kelly. Shit I can go on youtube & find random fighters Kelly faced early in his career that had no trouble whatsoever landing on Kelly. Kelly was a rock em sockem robot in many of his fights. That's why he had to retire early in part from brain seizures.

Sean, I understand you had issues at nobs, but please stop telling me to fuck off. I haven't been aggressive towards you and I try and discuss boxing. Don't lower yourself to this bullshit. If you want to do so fine, im perfectly happy to own you. I'd rather keep it civil.
Yeah, I see how you keep it civil lately. Insult people and then act all confused when you're called on it. I may be a dick to some people but at least there's a reason for it more often than not.

Yeah, I see how you keep it civil lately. Insult people and then act all confused when you're called on it. I may be a dick to some people but at least there's a reason for it more often than not.
I don't insult people that can take a joke. If you want me to fuck with you I will.

Pavlik would have made easy work of Pwill. Needed to chime in on that one.

You sound like you just were not watching boxing when this shit went down. At this period Martinez was still a bit of an unknown in the U.S. His first fight on HBO was against Bunema which he won, then he had a draw against Cintron & then got beat by Pwill in a Foty canidate. Then Kelly fought him. He wasn't considered P4P at the time Kelly fought him. He was just some fringe titlist.

Nah I was watching back then, you're just creating your own narrative to suit your shit theory. Sergio had hype ever since he went in and beat Bunema. He was not just some fringe titlist, dude. He only had more fans after he got screwed in that draw you're talking about with Cintron and then that first fight with Paul.

You're the only dude here who thinks Pavlik ducked Williams. The only guy. It would and did never happen. Keep the hot takes coming.

Give me an example of a feather fisted fighter with high work rate and 0 defense giving Pavlik issues. Williams won because he was a giant..

Give me an example of a slow basic plodder like Kelly beating Pwil. Pwill lost to southpaws that counter & use lots of movement. Also Pwill wasn't just a giant, his gas tank & high punch volume was tremendous. He also had a longer reach than Kelly.

Last edited:
Pavlik cancelled the fight with Pwill in Oct of 2009 & then fought some scrub a couple months later. And that was the 2nd time cancelling the fight with Pwill but of course BluntTrauma21 thinks Kelly wasn't ducking lmao

Well if you and now ringtalk.com tells me I'm wrong I really feel terrible. This seems way too important to you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
durbanik916
Back