Keeping your hands up in MMA

JustOnce

On Hiatus
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
I am confused and perplexed about this. MMA gloves are tiny as is, so it appears that best defense is to use your footwork and head movement. Lots of people shit on Rockhold's defense and not keeping his hands up, how many elite level fighters really keep their hands up like boxers or kick boxers with threats of takedowns?

The reason why Rockhold got knocked the fcuk out by Bisping was not because he had his hands down, but it's because he was fighting like a dumb cocky teenager and then he was off balance and Bisping came in hot and caught him right on the button.

And everyone can get caught in exchanges, especially if you are fighting a dude like Romero....

I just don't get it sometimes....

Keeping your hands up is hard. Like actually really hard. Like the first thing that goes when you're the least bit tired.

I am confused and perplexed about this. MMA gloves are tiny as is, so it appears that best defense is to use your footwork and head movement.

The best defense is to use your footwork, include head movement, AND keep your hands up.

rockholds problem isn't just that he doesn't keep his hands up, it's that he'll often back up in a straight line, hands down and chin up.

The bisping knockout happened bevause bisping timed a lazy jab from rockhold.

rockholds problem isn't just that he doesn't keep his hands up, it's that he'll often back up in a straight line, hands down and chin up.

The bisping knockout happened bevause bisping timed a lazy jab from rockhold.

The Bisping KO happened because he WAY overcommited on what he thought would be a KO punch. Def not a jab.

I am confused and perplexed about this. MMA gloves are tiny as is, so it appears that best defense is to use your footwork and head movement. Lots of people shit on Rockhold's defense and not keeping his hands up, how many elite level fighters really keep their hands up like boxers or kick boxers with threats of takedowns?

The reason why Rockhold got knocked the fcuk out by Bisping was not because he had his hands down, but it's because he was fighting like a dumb cocky teenager and then he was off balance and Bisping came in hot and caught him right on the button.

And everyone can get caught in exchanges, especially if you are fighting a dude like Romero....

I just don't get it sometimes....

His hands were down tho...

The Bisping KO happened because he WAY overcommited on what he thought would be a KO punch. Def not a jab.

whatever it was, it was ugly. I remember he himself calling it a jab, so who knows. Looks like a sloppy jab that he didn't retract fast enough to me.

l0K4oO0UTeJ8MUtBm.gif

whatever it was, it was ugly. I remember he himself calling it a jab, so who knows. Looks like a sloppy jab that he didn't retract fast enough to me.

l0K4oO0UTeJ8MUtBm.gif

Welp if that's a jab he has a lot of work to do lol

Hands up in MMA are more for parrying than for blocking.

You can't cover up very well with MMA gloves.

Hands up are very important. Say your footwork or head movement fails you, your hands being up is basically the line of defense. You can catch shots, deflect them or block them.

And Rockhold got that from over committing while being defensively irresponsible. Hands down chin up and watching his own work/waiting for the counter. Even look at Rockholds instincts before the final blow from Bisping or Yoel, he just opens up and waits for it.

Rockhold's problem is his superiority complex doesn't match his head movement.

Back