Keeping Last Name Alive

I changed my first and last name legally in 2001.
I don't understand this keeping your surname alive stuff, its just a word. My original surname is very common and there are pages and pages in the phone book with that name, the name is well and truly alive!
Are we supposed to be proud of our name or something? There would be millions of other people with my surname and i don't know any of them and i'm not interested in knowing them, i don't give a shit about a name.
I always laugh when i see these fighters with their last name tattooed on their back[sometimes their front] as if they'll need it one day when they get amnesia!

When a guy calls his son by his own name is a funny thing too, the height of vanity.

My father denounced me when I was but a small child so I denounced his name. It is more important for me not to carry on the family name.

Man, I'm sorry to hear that. I've done the same too, but I wasn't born with his last name. I was given my mom's surname because both of my parents were married in Korea, and the state of New York didn't recognize their marriage so I was legally born a bastard. Legally speaking.

But I have no problem with that at all.

At the risk of sounding like a race-traitor, I've thought about Anglicizing my Korean last name because I feel that it sounds too "ethnic" and doesn't really represent me well.

Then again, my last name wasn't even phonetically translated correctly. So I don't think it shouldn't really matter that much.

Make the name your own.

I wouldn't take a wife's name.
LMAO taking your wifes surename is the cuckiest thing a man can do. Why not just wear a dress then and be the woman. If he doesnt like his dads surename just assign yourself a random name you like.

I changed my first and last name legally in 2001.
I don't understand this keeping your surname alive stuff, its just a word. My original surname is very common and there are pages and pages in the phone book with that name, the name is well and truly alive!
Are we supposed to be proud of our name or something? There would be millions of other people with my surname and i don't know any of them and i'm not interested in knowing them, i don't give a shit about a name.
I always laugh when i see these fighters with their last name tattooed on their back[sometimes their front] as if they'll need it one day when they get amnesia!

When a guy calls his son by his own name is a funny thing too, the height of vanity.

O'Doyle rules!

LMAO taking your wifes surename is the cuckiest thing a man can do. Why not just wear a dress then and be the woman. If he doesnt like his dads surename just assign yourself a random name you like.

If you know the story of Jens Pulver, the MMA fighter. He was apparently raised by abusive parents and his father was doing lots of crime and drugs in the family home. One day, Jens Pulver's father lost his temper and put his gun into his own son's mouth when he just 7 years old and said didn't shoot, but said "you ain't worth the bullet".

When he eventually became an independent adult, Jens wanted to change his last name because he resented his father and upbringing. But apparently, a friend talked him into keeping the name and how he should make it his own.

I would argue the alpha thing to do would be to do what ever the fuck you wanted to do. A true Cuck would ridicule other peoples choices to stroke their own ego.

I would argue the alpha thing to do would be to do what ever the fuck you wanted to do. A true Cuck would ridicule other peoples choices to stroke their own ego.

So you think using your wifes last name after marriage is "alpha"?

If you know the story of Jens Pulver, the MMA fighter. He was apparently raised by abusive parents and his father was doing lots of crime and drugs in the family home. One day, Jens Pulver's father lost his temper and put his gun into his own son's mouth when he just 7 years old and said didn't shoot, but said "you ain't worth the bullet".

When he eventually became an independent adult, Jens wanted to change his last name because he resented his father and upbringing. But apparently, a friend talked him into keeping the name and how he should make it his own.
Well thats different. Im talking about when a guy gets married and wants his wifes last name. You can just change your last name to literally anything you want but using your wifes name makes you look weak.

Don't really care, most cultures I would say...Don't even practice this tradition

My fiance does not have a family name at all and she still doesn't want to take my name
<2>

Made my dad's family happy I had a son, it's all daughters apart from him.

That was nice.

Man, I'm sorry to hear that. I've done the same too, but I wasn't born with his last name. I was given my mom's surname because both of my parents were married in Korea, and the state of New York didn't recognize their marriage so I was legally born a bastard. Legally speaking.

But I have no problem with that at all.

My old man also chose my first name which I never liked anyway so I changed that too. Just wish I had done it sooner. If you are thinking of changing your name for whatever reason don't fuck around. Like a great man once said... just do it.

my last name is not really unique or notable.

in the post MAGA era it probably also wouldn't be safe for my offspring to have a spanish last name.

real men make men.. my son is gonna pass on my last name

How important is it to you or your family to keep you last name going. and has anyone here killed it.

other people wont care if your last name is around anymore. why should you if you are also not going to be here to...."enjoy" it?

it also almost certainly should not be your last name. undoubtedly have been several cases of adultery in most family trees.

My last name dies with me. As it should. I come from a long line of fucked up dudes.

I've thought about it as I have a very obscure Italian last name that I am pretty sure only me and my dad have. I'd like to keep it going for the coolness factor, but I plan on having only one kid and I have a daughter on the way. So goodbye name.

Back