Keep getting sick - prevention?

bjjpepperz

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
This year I have had the flu, a viral cold, and now strep throat.

I am 99% sure it's all from rolling at the dojo with sick people. (of course I / they didn't know they were sick at the time.)

I never used to get sick until I started training.

Common sense tells me it's up to classmates to be responsible and not come to class when you're sick to prevent infecting people.

I'm just wondering how much of an issue this is for the other regulars?

Also wondering any preventative measures you guys take?

I shower right after every class and wash gi after each class as well.

Personally the link I've seen between BJJ and getting sick is that I tend to overtrain and exhaust myself. It's more about my immune system being weakened by lack of recuperation than being exposed to sick people. If I sleep and eat enough I never get sick. Unfortunately, life is full of cool shit to do and sometimes I push myself a little too hard :D

I agree with the other posters. When you train hard your immune system gets destroyed unless you sleep well and have a good diet. I've had sleeping problems my whole life and I get sick pretty often because of it.

Sleep, lots of water, maintain a decent sodium and potassium balance, lots of Vitamin C when you start to feel the effects of the cold creeping up eg. nasty sore throat

Yeah, I agree with all the posters above. Sleep, hydrate, and a good diet. Also, have a flu shot taken every year. The mats should be wiped down daily at the end of the last class. In my school the instructor already asked that people that are sick not come to class. Also, off the mat everyone should be using flip flops, not walking around barefoot, so as not to bring germs to the mat. Don’t touch your face with your hands. Wash your hands often.

Yeah, I agree with all the posters above. Sleep, hydrate, and a good diet. Also, have a flu shot taken every year. The mats should be wiped down daily at the end of the last class. In my school the instructor already asked that people that are sick not come to class. Also, off the mat everyone should be using flip flops, not walking around barefoot, so as not to bring germs to the mat. Don’t touch your face with your hands. Wash your hands often.

You're getting a bit too intense here Mr Germ Nazi.

screen-shot-2015-06-26-at-7.58.26-pm.jpg

Thank you everyone for the input.

I cannot believe I haven't considered that my body has not been able to recoup due to training hard!

I'll be proactive about hydrating more. Sleep is tough as we have a 6 month old baby at home.

For what it's worth - after reading this I asked a nutritionist friend of mine about supplements to maintain / boost immune system and here is what he suggested for me:

- Vitamin C - 2,000 MG
- Alpha Lipoic Acid - 600 MG
- Vitamin D - 5000

You're getting a bit too intense here Mr Germ Nazi.

screen-shot-2015-06-26-at-7.58.26-pm.jpg

If you happen to know someone with acne (or have it yourself), it can in fact be a good idea to make a conscious effort not to touch your face with your bare bare fingers, to minimize any smearing.

Also change your pillow cases regularly (since the oils in your hair transfer to the pillow then transfer to your face).

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for the input.

I cannot believe I haven't considered that my body has not been able to recoup due to training hard!

I'll be proactive about hydrating more. Sleep is tough as we have a 6 month old baby at home.

For what it's worth - after reading this I asked a nutritionist friend of mine about supplements to maintain / boost immune system and here is what he suggested for me:

- Vitamin C - 2,000 MG
- Alpha Lipoic Acid - 600 MG
- Vitamin D - 5000

Decent multivitamin by Solgar or a good company wouldn't be a bad idea either to cover some of the less common micronutrients you may not be getting [enough of] via diet.

Also, make sure its Vitamin D3.

Evening classes aren't for everyone.
Some people can't fall asleep after exercising.

you literally piss away most supplements and multivitamins. it'll do you more good to get your nutrients from your diet, especially veggies.

you should go to the doctor. if you're immunocompromised it could be a sign of a much larger problem.

Clean up ur diet, get more sleep, and hydrate more. If you are still sick often, go to a doctor.

This year I have had the flu, a viral cold, and now strep throat.

I am 99% sure it's all from rolling at the dojo with sick people. (of course I / they didn't know they were sick at the time.)

I never used to get sick until I started training.

Common sense tells me it's up to classmates to be responsible and not come to class when you're sick to prevent infecting people.

I'm just wondering how much of an issue this is for the other regulars?

Also wondering any preventative measures you guys take?

I shower right after every class and wash gi after each class as well.

Washing your hands all the time and don't pick your nose

Lots of fruit and veg, sleep, water. Olive leaf extract has worked well for me over the year. It's also the worst taste in the world - you have been warned.

I agree with
Sleep - 6+
Diet - hit all your blocks and maybe try anti-inflamation diet
Vitamins - various colored produce
Hygeine - self, others

And
I have found probiotics to help myself. I like one called pro-15, it seems to have reduced my colds. I take it 4to5x week. Could be placebo, but I think it's helped.

Going out on a limb and going to say you live in the Northeast/ New England area??

I use to get sick a lot especially when I started training weights or BJJ. This would set me back a week or more. Your diet is key. Drink at least a gallon of H20 a day and take that vitamin C also eat clean earth grown nutrients.

-Eat allot of vitamins everyday
-Drink allot of water
-Get at least seven hours sleep every day
-SHOWER after gym/bjj classes..One week i was really in hurry and decided to take shower before bed,got such nasty skin infection. Damn you dirty people!

Back