Keenan talks about Saulo guard pass being wrong

I prefer the 'standing up' to breaking the closed guard too. I actually started doing the standing up vs. the knee at the middle of the butt through trial and error and I learned I had more success and felt more comfortable doing the 'standing up' method instead. Most of the time when I try the knee break/pass version I compromise my base and I get swept a lot or it becomes a struggle.

The way I do my standing up guard break now is from a video I saw Kurt Osiander showing how to do it on move of the week video on youtube.

I believe breaking the close guard with the knee version in the middle of the butt is effective only if your larger than you opponent.

Too lazy to watch the videos here but Renzo has a standing guard pass on his site which he says is his go to guard break and pass. I have started using it with way more success than any other I was previously shown.

arm bars which are quite simple to do.

The closed guard armbars that actually work aren't that simple. The traditional version is trash (as opposed to the unfairly effective modern Roger Gracie) one.

The closed guard armbars that actually work aren't that simple. The traditional version is trash (as opposed to the unfairly effective modern Roger Gracie) one.

Again though, the classic closed guard armbar is one of those techniques I think that has just been taught wrong, as there seems to be some important invisible jiu jitsu going on. A few weeks ago I rewatched an old Murilo Bustamante Pride fight and he locked on a closed guard armbar with lethal speed and power that you just don't see these days.

Again though, the classic closed guard armbar is one of those techniques I think that has just been taught wrong, as there seems to be some important invisible jiu jitsu going on. A few weeks ago I rewatched an old Murilo Bustamante Pride fight and he locked on a closed guard armbar with lethal speed and power that you just don't see these days.

one of my favorite techniques and specialty of mine. I feel like nowadays, seeing a good closed guard armbar is rare, even amongst higher belts. I feel like back in the mid 2000s, it was common to see them, especially in MMA. That was one of the main reason I got good at it, I feel like MMA training back then emphasized it well and it was also taught well, compared to how it was taught in most BJJ schools.

Whenever Im gassed out and I get stuck in full guard, I use the knee up the middle pass so my partner doesnt get pissed that Im stalling. I already know it doesnt work, but it makes you seem busy.

its hard to break someones guard whos legit on the knees
one of my favorite techniques and specialty of mine. I feel like nowadays, seeing a good closed guard armbar is rare, even amongst higher belts. I feel like back in the mid 2000s, it was common to see them, especially in MMA. That was one of the main reason I got good at it, I feel like MMA training back then emphasized it well and it was also taught well, compared to how it was taught in most BJJ schools.

i think u dont see it much anymore due to people seem to have alot better posture now and standing passes are prefered at higher levels guys arnt trying to break from the knees anymore its hard to break a guy whos content on holding you it takes awhile to fatigue the guys legs to get the break or waiting for him to open up

Yeah the traditional version, the one taught to white belts with 4 steps is trash, cause anyone can see it coming from miles, but as most techniques, it more of a concept than anything, with time, you learn yo move your hips faster in a more coordiated way, but you try to teach a one step arm bar which requires hip movement and timing to a noob, not going to happen, you need to start somewhere...

I have never had a problem with breaking guard using the variation as taught by saulo/xande in their DVD's

honestly don't know what the fuss is about

I think I recently saw a video of Keenan standing to break Lo’s guard and Lo repeatedly sweeps him by closing guard on his knees (some call it the calf wrangler sweep). Lo’s able to do this because Keenan is upright and keeps his legs close together.

I don’t know why Keenan doesn’t use a staggered stance to prevent getting swept. I guess it works for him against everyone else so he doesn’t feel the need the adapt.

Whenever Im gassed out and I get stuck in full guard, I use the knee up the middle pass so my partner doesnt get pissed that Im stalling. I already know it doesnt work, but it makes you seem busy.

Reminds me of why it’s unjust to criticize newer guard games for supposed stalling ... closed guard is the king of ‘you pretend to try to pass, I pretend to look for a sub, then time runs out.’

Yeah the traditional version, the one taught to white belts with 4 steps is trash, cause anyone can see it coming from miles, but as most techniques, it more of a concept than anything, with time, you learn yo move your hips faster in a more coordiated way, but you try to teach a one step arm bar which requires hip movement and timing to a noob, not going to happen, you need to start somewhere...

You can to a high guard closed guard in a slow deliberate process, watch how Roger shows in now days.
I'll attempt to teach it to the cute white belt girl soon and we'll see how good it is for beginners.
The 1 step armbar might make sense for mma with people who over extend by punching you in the face.

I think I recently saw a video of Keenan standing to break Lo’s guard and Lo repeatedly sweeps him by closing guard on his knees (some call it the calf wrangler sweep). Lo’s able to do this because Keenan is upright and keeps his legs close together.

I don’t know why Keenan doesn’t use a staggered stance to prevent getting swept. I guess it works for him against everyone else so he doesn’t feel the need the adapt.

Keenan is tall and lanky so maybe he does certain things he can get away with that others who don't have the same physical attributes can't or shouldn't do?

The more I think about it size difference is a factor regarding which method to use to break close guard. Obviously you have to do what works for you!

Could it be that I am a broken record.......... No room for both on the internet (even Keenans own words).

I have used the traditional guard break a bunch (I hate it though). With that said I have only rolled with a couple guys who were Adult division word champions and I might as well never have had a single class. I am sure there are a ton of things that work for me against my contemporaries that would never, ever work for the fully resisting guys that Keenan is going against.

Go to about 2:10. They don't show the setup or anything, though.

they show an armbar he hit on Rampage about 15 seconds before as well (that Rampage has to slam out of?). On the same Pride card as the Suda fight, a young Paulo Filho hits a similarly vicious armbar from mount. I don't know the invisible jiu-jitsu theyre doing, but clearly these guys have learned to lock the shoulder in such a way that leaves no room for the types of annoying defensive movements most of us are used to when our armbars fail.

Nicholas Meregali attacked the easy sub, and steamrolled perhaps the greatest half-guard player in the world.

Holy fucking shit I've never seen anyone do that to Leite. I'm gonna look more into this Meregali dude.

Back