Kazushi Sakuraba tribute video - tell me what you think!

He's one of the greatest ever for his approach and charisma, but I don't think he ever had the same aura as Jones. Jones is unparalleled in his ability to shut down and defeat high level guys. Sak was more a guy who threw out loads of upsets and shocked people...and had a heart like a lion.

Jones is a whole different level, where the expectation is on him to win and to do some with style, where as Sak it was always let's hope he wins and grits it out

sakuraba was a fighter jones is just an athlete

My all time favorite, displayed the true meaning of MMA. That technique beats size and power.

My all time favorite, displayed the true meaning of MMA. That technique beats size and power.

I agree. Kazushi beat the odds time and time again. He epitomised the whole skill beats size thing more than the Gracie's did imo.

Great HL as always! Saku was submitting BJJ black belts before it was cool. :D

Yup, him tapping out Silviera for the UFC Tournament belt was one of the first times a BJJ black belt was ever submitted in MMA.

Yup, him tapping out Silviera for the UFC Tournament belt was one of the first times a BJJ black belt was ever submitted in MMA.

Yeah, extremely impressive feat and not just because he was a black belt but because he outweighed Saku by over 60 pounds.

Anybody knows where he is today? I know he took tremandous beatings in his carrier and the last time I saw him against Zamroskas his ears was falling off. Pretty sad. Is he still fighting?

Anybody knows where he is today? I know he took tremandous beatings in his carrier and the last time I saw him against Zamroskas his ears was falling off. Pretty sad. Is he still fighting?

He visited Wand's gym a while ago. There's a picture of them wearing each other's shirts in Wand's instagram.

He visited Wand's gym a while ago. There's a picture of them wearing each other's shirts in Wand's instagram.

http://instagram.com/p/Uvk705kq-y/

62bc3f68cf4edb3696b91cf2d53b9405.png

Words can't describe how awesome Saku is. The fact he fought CroCop, Rampage, Wanderlei, etc. ALL in their primes and outweighed by at least 30-50 pounds is unheard of.
Its VERY sad that most fans today have NO IDEA how badass he was.
When I think of the short list of iconic characters in MMA, Saku is easily one of the GOATs.
Right up there with Fedor, Royce, Randy, etc..

Words can't describe how awesome Saku is. The fact he fought CroCop, Rampage, Wanderlei, etc. ALL in their primes and outweighed by at least 30-50 pounds is unheard of.
Its VERY sad that most fans today have NO IDEA how badass he was.
When I think of the short list of iconic characters in MMA, Saku is easily one of the GOATs.
Right up there with Fedor, Royce, Randy, etc..

I completely agree. He defined that era of MMA, and is most definitely on my MMA Mount Rushmore as far as his "legend" status is concerned. Add that to the fact that he's the best Catch Wrestler the sport has ever seen and definitely one of the best grapplers the sport has ever seen.

It's definitely a shame that more people don't know about him. Ah well, he's an immortal in Japan, and I'm sure that's all that matters to him.

The Gracie Hunter!

One of the most legendary feuds in MMA was Takada Dojo vs. The Gracies.

Sucks that Rickson wouldn't step in the ring Saku (although he did reportedly turn down $5m to fight him), I guess there'll always be that question mark there.

Last edited:
One of the most legendary feuds in MMA was Takada Dojo vs. The Gracies.

Sucks that Rickson wouldn't step in the ring Saku (although he did reportedly turn down $5m to fight him), I guess there'll always be that question mark there.

Saku vs. Rickson would have been arguably the most important MMA fight of all-time historically if it had happened before Saku's rivalry with Wand.

Saku vs. Rickson would have been arguably the most important MMA fight of all-time historically if it had happened before Saku's rivalry with Wand.

I agree. There was so much hype and tension surrounding those 2. Biggest fight in the history of the sport for sure. Even moreso since they would've both been undefeated had they fought right after Kazushi beat Royler.

Boondock did a great video back in the day about the rivalry.

True legend and true definition of bishudo ........last of a dying breed for sure

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back