Kauai Kimonos, 100% Ripstop Gi, Blue A2 - Picture review with measurements

Quick replies when I paid and was asking questions, now that I want to return the gi, no replies.

I ordered an A2 and I am 5'11" 145lbs. There's is a lot of room to move in but it doesn't hinder me one bit due to the material being so darn thin so it just flows with my body. At first I was concerned with the amount of room but after rolling in it I am in love. lol Is there another reason why you have decided to return it?

On their facebook page they posted,

"Kauai Kimonos I am5'11 and used to weigh 185ish and wore the A2. I like my gis quite fitted, so if you don't, get the larger size.

Kauai Kimonos ‎(now 165 & A1 fits like a glove, very fitted!)".

I also like my gis fitted, I'm 165 & 5'7 so I got an A1, it definitely doesn't fit me like a glove and the sleeves are too short.

I have other gis that are a bit heavier and are very tight to my body and I don't feel inhibited in the least, I think their design is flawed.

Last edited:
hmm that is very odd. My girlfriend's (5'5" 125lbs) A1 Kauai fits her pretty nicely and works pretty well on myself. Rather fitted and the sleeves are still comp legal. In fact I think I will purchase an A1 top next time with A2 pants. I guess you just prefer a very tight fitting gi. Try Fushida

I really wish more companies would post actual gi measurements to reduce these fitting issues. That way you could have compared the measurements to any existing gis you have. The sleeve end-to-end measurement is especially useful!

I really wish more companies would post actual gi measurements to reduce these fitting issues. That way you could have compared the measurements to any existing gis you have. The sleeve end-to-end measurement is especially useful!

I'm sure gi companies will sell many more gis if they give a wide size estimate then to actually give out the exact lengths.

Btw, the sleeve to sleeve length of an A1 unwashed is 60.5 inches. The pants are 35.5 inches.

I'm sure gi companies will sell many more gis if they give a wide size estimate then to actually give out the exact lengths.

Btw, the sleeve to sleeve length of an A1 unwashed is 60.5 inches. The pants are 35.5 inches.

I wasn't specific, but I meant they should give out BOTH exact measurements as well as estimated height/weight ranges.

Thanks for stating the A1 sleeve end-to-end length though. At least for me, the unwashed length would kinda work but would be too short if it shrank even a little bit.

Btw, no returns and no responses to emails if you purchase my gi:icon_lol:

A day after I put my gi up for auction on ebay, Jon from Kauai contacted me and said he'd been busy, missed my emails, and said he'd accept my return, I just received my refund.

I have had 8 gis and this is definitely my favorite. Thin, lightweight, and I feel like i'm not weighed down when I roll. My only complaint is the skirt like the initial pics. It does not lay flat in the front, rather angles up. Overall, this is my only complaint and I highly recommend this to someone looking for an insanely lightweight gi!

I have emailed these guys, sent a message on facebook and can get no reply. Is there a better way of contacting this company?

I think that Jonathan from Kauai is in Europe right now. But I'm not sure about that.

Man, I'm definitely intrigued by the ripstop material. Rolled with a dude that had an Atama with ripstop pants, felt waxy and weird, almost like those blue tarps. Is that the same with all ripstop material?

Man, I'm definitely intrigued by the ripstop material. Rolled with a dude that had an Atama with ripstop pants, felt waxy and weird, almost like those blue tarps. Is that the same with all ripstop material?

No, it's kind of hit or miss. Even the first run of Atama pants were much softer and more comfortable. The Gameness Elite pants are also pretty soft whereas my Ground Control pants feel a little stiffer/waxier (still great pants, though).

I think that Jonathan from Kauai is in Europe right now. But I'm not sure about that.

FWIW, I've emailed them on two different occasions
(6ish and 4ish months ago, iirc)
No response either time.
Heard nothing but good things about them...
heard nothing at all from them.

A buddy of mine has two Atama Ultra-Lites and loves them. He's had his eye on the Kauai Kimono for quite some time and is hoping to buy one sometime in the near future. From the sounds of it, it'll fit him fine seeing as how he's like 6' and like 170lbs soaking wet. I keep warning him of Kauai's dodgy customer service, and many of the previous posts solidify that. I just ordered an Atama Ultra-Lite for myself. He's been wearing his 3 days a week for about a year now, with no signs of wear. I really wanted to like Kauai, but being 6'1" and 290lbs, super slim fits just ain't gonna work. :)

Back