Kauai Kimonos, 100% Ripstop Gi, Blue A2 - Picture review with measurements

akdms

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Summary:
I do a lot of traveling for work and was looking for a light-weight, quick drying gi that I could bring with me in a carry-on (this is the same gi that Christian over at Globetrotter is using) In addition, temperatures here can get well into the 90s with high humidity so having an ultra-light gi will be nice during the summer months.

The Kauai Kimono is all ripstop material (pants and top), making it by far the lightest and coolest gi I have ever owned (and probably the lightest on the market), albeit non-IBJJF legal. This is a beautiful gi with slightly contrasting stitching (at least in blue) and by far the best stitching quality I have ever seen in a gi. The material is amazingly strong and doesn’t stretch at all, and is very, very soft and comfortable to wear. Kauai Kimonos runs their gis in batches and sell out quickly, so they are difficult to get, and it can take some time to get a response after submitting an inquiry. The gi sells for $155.

My only minor issues are with collar and cut, which I’ll get to down below. Still, if you travel a lot or need a good training gi for hot humid days, or just simply can’t wait long for your gi to dry, I would definitely recommend this gi.

Material:

Both the top and bottom are made out of ripstop material. This makes the gi incredibly light, even when soaking wet. Right out of the washer the gi weighs about 2.5 lbs (that’s the top AND bottom), and dry it weighs about 2 lbs (although my scale can be off by about half a pound… and the Kauai website says that it weighs closer to 1 lb, so I might be off). The material doesn’t stretch at all, is VERY quick to dry (15 – 30 minutes air drying), and is very cool and comfortable (almost rash-guard like). It’s so thin and water evaporates so fast that when the gi gets wet I actually was getting cooled down when moving around. Because of how light it is I feel almost like I am rolling no-gi – the gi doesn’t hinder my movement in the slightest, and no-gi style chokes (RNC, Darce, etc) are noticeable easier to hit.

For a comparison, I’m holding a quarter at the sleeve end of the sleeve. This gi is retarded thin.

IMAG0205.jpg

Cut:

Right out of the bag the gi fit me perfectly (for reference, I’m 5’11 and 160 lbs) – no shrinking was required. The gi definitely seems to be cut with thinner builds in mind. The cuffs are pretty tight, so if you go for a lot of Ezekiel’s you might have difficultly in this gi. I do, unfortunately, have one minor gripe with the top: if you look at the lapels they angle up – that’s because the lapels seem to have been cut a bit short and the skirt only forms a straight line when the lapels are almost parallel with each other. This means the lapels do come out pretty easily.

IMAG0149.jpg

IMAG0152.jpg

IMAG0198.jpg

I also have one minor issue with the pants. Unlike many other gis, the back of the pants do not raise up higher than the front – which means they don’t always cover your ass. Anyone who has seen Tony Pacenski’s Sao Paulo Guard Passing DVD (highly recommended!) knows what I’m talking about. :icon_chee I’m hoping they update the cut a bit on future versions.

IMAG0199.jpg

Last edited:
The lapel is very thin on this gi. Personally I would be willing to sacrifice a few ounces for a Koral-style rubber collar, but that

Last edited:
IMAG0203.jpg

(pant leg)

IMAG0176.jpg

(pant leg)

Vents are fully reinforced rather than having a small patch of material at the top of the seam as on some gis. The reinforcement is double stitched and triple stitched at the seam. Armpit reinforcement is double stitched as opposed to single stitched.
IMAG0206.jpg

(inside top vent)

IMAG0201.jpg

(inside pant vent)

IMAG0197.jpg

(armpit)

Measurements:

IMAG0207.jpg

29 inches

IMAG0208.jpg

29 inches

IMAG0209.jpg

25 inches

IMAG0210.jpg

1.75 inches

IMAG0211.jpg

~ 5/16ths of an inch

How does the ripstop fabric feel? I generally find that ripstop feel synthetic and almost "waxy", even on 100% cotton ripstop (which Fushida uses). Is this the same, or does it actually feel like cotton, rather then cotton that's been treated or a cotton/synthetic blend?

James

Looks like a nice gi. I have a ripstop gi that I don't wear much because it's just too easy to grab, mine has a much thicker collar though. I think somehow it has an even thicker collar than the gold weave.

Nice man I've been looking for a good Kauai ripstop review and you come through for me :) I'm trying to get my hands on a blue or black one but man it's tough. I think with these gi's you have to allow the chest to open up more and have your belt lower so the lapels are less angled. lol

How does the ripstop fabric feel? I generally find that ripstop feel synthetic and almost "waxy", even on 100% cotton ripstop (which Fushida uses). Is this the same, or does it actually feel like cotton, rather then cotton that's been treated or a cotton/synthetic blend?

James

Hmm. I've never really noticed a "waxy" feel... I will say that it definitely feels a bit different than my Fushida pants, and is quite a bit thinner. I believe it's closer to Atama's ripstop pants than Fushida's (though I've only felt Atama's a few times.... I believe they are thinner though). Also, unlike the Fushida pants, the Kauai doesn't get stiff after being washed (at least, it hasn't yet) and remains very soft.

It doesn't feel exactly like pure cotton, but I think it's close. It's slightly, I dunno, "silky"? My wife thought it feels like pajamas.

How much shrinkage was there
? I'm contemplating between purchasing an A1 or A2. I'm a skinny mofo. 5'11" 142 lbs and I'm afraid the A2 might be a little loose. Would you say this gi sizing is similar to a shoyoroll since I'm able to rock an A1 Shoyoroll nicely. Thanks man

I've only washed in cold and warm (lukewarm, not hot-warm). Zero shrinkage. Not sure if it would shrink in hot or in the dryer.

I've never worn Shoyoroll so I can't really comment. From what I've seen, I'd think this is slimmer fitting (especially in the arms and legs), but I'm not positive. This is the slimmest gi I've worn out of the bag.

Keep in mind too that the material is VERY thin, so even if it's a little baggy it won't hinder your movement at all.

If you need any other measurements so you can compare to your other gis let me know and I'd be happy to take them.

Cheers akdms, interesting stuff. I like the look of the Kauai, but the ripstop has put me off. Would love to get a look at one first hand.

James

Nice review!

Im 180cm and weigh 82kg and i have a vulkan A2 would an A2 kauai fit me?

Nice review!

Im 180cm and weigh 82kg and i have a vulkan A2 would an A2 kauai fit me?

My guess is yes, but I'm not positive. I think the Vulkan is the same size as Koral, and an A2 Koral fits me, although slightly looser than the Kauai... Main thing would be the sleeve thickness -- if you have thicker arms than it might not fit right.

I wish all guys would wear these Gi's. I really love chokes. :)

I own the A3 in blue, it's so light weight it's unreal.

Positives:
-Lightest GI in the world
-Very Tough.
-Washes and dries very fast even in humid climates, so you can wash and wear it every day if you want to.
-Doesn't fade very quickly. I must have hand-washed mine 40-50 times before I saw any colour change, although you did get dye coming out of it a little bit on the first 5-6 washes.

Negatives:
-Easy to get choked, which makes your game better, but might be frustrating at first
-Easy for grips, I've had guys that I just simply can't break their grip without the use of a foot.
-No legal in some comps as explained by the reviewer.

My thoughts:
-I've only owned about 6 gis, but this is by far my favourite.
-the legs on the A3 are very long
-Although the reviewer said the top was made for thin people, I disagree, it short and broad. I am 6'1 and 170lbs, and I find the gi to have a lot of room, and the skirt does come out easily.
-When I buy my next Kauai Kimono, I will probably get the A2 top and A3 pants. I'm just waiting on the back log of orders!

I agree with keylocke this gi seems to be made for short stockier people, or for people who like a lot of room around the chest area, I don't. I would guess an A1 would fit someone like a glove who is 5'4' to 5'6 175-190lbs. The sleeves are narrow though so I'm not sure if it would fit a really muscular person.

I'm going to return mine, I'll post how things go.

why do they got a the islands on the pants in white. looks like a money shot gone wrong.

Back