Kastle Khabib (Pixel Animation)

The more I look the more details I find, this is awesome and deserves much more recognition!
:) feel free to ask any questions too

I am still glad I posted it in this multimedia section, as it IS becoming more and more active since it was moved to the forum homepage as a stand alone section, like the UFC discussion section etc

What program did you use to make this and did you draw all the spectators in the Saku room?

I used to do static stuff like this in paint years ago, still have my old Titanic drawing, but it's just so tedious. Can't imagine doing a gif with so many frames. Mad props!

pFHYZ6E.png
I like that drawing btw!

I've made some other pixel stuff but nothing as big as your ship, or my Kastle.

:) feel free to ask any questions too

I am still glad I posted it in this multimedia section, as it IS becoming more and more active since it was moved to the forum homepage as a stand alone section, like the UFC discussion section etc

I do have some questions!

To make the gif loop perfectly, did you have to animate the 'longest' room first, the one that uses all 48 frames (Khabib one at the top?), and then make the other rooms use a frame number divisible by 48, and repeat?

Did you draw everything besides the sprites by hand? I'm asking because some of the elements (cyborg's robotic body, DC's chicken) have color gradients and I wonder if you used vector trace function to convert real photos into pixel art.

To make the gif loop perfectly, did you have to animate the 'longest' room first, the one that uses all 48 frames (Khabib one at the top?), and then make the other rooms use a frame number divisible by 48, and repeat?

Did you draw everything besides the sprites by hand? I'm asking because some of the elements (cyborg's robotic body, DC's chicken) have color gradients and I wonder if you used vector trace function to convert real photos into pixel art.
-I didn't draw the 3 baby eagles in the Khabib room.
-I didn't draw the UFC belt in the Joanna room, but I edited it a lot cause the resize destroyed it.
-I built some really awesome background textures out of a pixel maze I found, but I put so many painstaking hours into editing it pixel by pixel to use it in a few different rooms that I consider it mine :D but I can't even see it in the final gif except maybe in the Khabib room.

one other thing to bear in mind is reducing it to 256 colours wrecked some of the areas I did painstaking work on like Urijah's head filling up with blood then draining when he does a pull up.

I swear I made everything else pixel by pixel including most of the "gradient texturing" but I wasn't as elaborate as a soften tool would be, which I considered cheating. I edited a lot of Empty Emp's sprites too, but of course I always give full credit to him for all the sprites. They inspired the whole thing.I loved making that little tapestry in the Khabib room and the circuit board hidden behind the cage in the Cyborg room.

EDIT: Additional info as I notice stuff
-I used a "weave" effect to make the cage background in the Khabib room, and pretty sure my maze thing ended up applied over that as a texture. Didn't use that weave effect for the main gate though.
-The painting of the H-Bomb on Bisping I basically traced over a resized version of the original picture by altering the transparency so I could see both, then I deleted the original art once I'd finished
-I downloaded the gargoyles and just edited in the coloured ring

Last edited:
I started with the Sage Northcutt section which actually then remained unchanged up to the end, but making all those trophies and photographs and stuff, I knew if I could get through that I'd just keep going, and I did.

I started with the Sage Northcutt section which actually then remained unchanged up to the end, but making all those trophies and photographs and stuff, I knew if I could get through that I'd just keep going, and I did.

Inspiration stuff!

I started with the idea of 24 frames, because so many different numbers go into it, but when I finally tried to animate the Khabib room, 24 was just not enough. This meant doubling the whole thing to 48 frames would be required, and as it turned out I barely got the animation complete in that 48. The Khabib animation is so fast still.

Extending the whole thing meant I had options to increase the total frames for any of the other rooms too, which I used to put "pauses" in at different times so that all the action didn't start at frame 1.

The Mighty Mouse room is 48 frames of course, cause it's a fully working clock, though not actually accurate in real life. It's not 48 original frames, it had pauses too :)

and yeah I have this habit of editing my posts 10+ times :D

Artist @Empty Emp created over 30 mma sprites which I have brought to life in "Kastle Khabib"

I will leave out the identities of each character, as Empty Emp will be sharing his sprites with spoiler tags so you can guess who is who. Anyone who spots a genuine error in the animation will have their forum name "etched" into the updated version. First 4 get on a Gargoyle nameplate :)

I hope sherdog has questions!! (and click image to view full size)

NvWN3ID.gif

I began the project on the the 27th of August and worked almost exclusively on it till "today" on the 2nd October when I finally judged it to be error-free. It contained over 700 frames which became the final 48 you see, and Empty Emp made extra sprites on request too which helped me to knit the concepts together.

Converting it to GIF did affect the final render, but that was a key part of the challenge for me and I was happy with the result give or take the odd issue. To also get it under 2mb was fantastic. I am definitely relieved it's over because I had to create pretty much everything but the people from scratch, which I edited and animated in a lot of cases too.

It's extremely time consuming :)

Epic job dude , you nailed it <mma2>

thanks to everyone who spent at least a minute looking at my gif :D and yes I am definitely working on a new project that will turn Kastle Khabib into a running storyline. It won't be larger than the Kastle Khabib project, but it will definitely be a stand-alone creation rather than an edited rehash.

I'll have a teaser ready for the new year I'm sure ;)

PS: with a possible "christmas themed" shoop thread coming up in December I'm probably gonna be busy with that mostly, but it does allow me time to flesh out my storyline ideas.

Artist @Empty Emp created over 30 mma sprites which I have brought to life in "Kastle Khabib"

I will leave out the identities of each character, as Empty Emp will be sharing his sprites with spoiler tags so you can guess who is who. Anyone who spots a genuine error in the animation will have their forum name "etched" into the updated version. First 4 get on a Gargoyle nameplate :)

I hope sherdog has questions!! (and click image to view full size)

NvWN3ID.gif

I began the project on the the 27th of August and worked almost exclusively on it till "today" on the 2nd October when I finally judged it to be error-free. It contained over 700 frames which became the final 48 you see, and Empty Emp made extra sprites on request too which helped me to knit the concepts together.

Converting it to GIF did affect the final render, but that was a key part of the challenge for me and I was happy with the result give or take the odd issue. To also get it under 2mb was fantastic. I am definitely relieved it's over because I had to create pretty much everything but the people from scratch, which I edited and animated in a lot of cases too.

It's extremely time consuming :)
Do you think its fun to make a joke about other peoples religion? I am a muslim, and that thing with khabib praying and stuff is disrepsectful. Keep the faith out of it.

Do you think its fun to make a joke about other peoples religion? I am a muslim, and that thing with khabib praying and stuff is disrepsectful. Keep the faith out of it.
he's praying to a statue of B.J Penn, who many consider to be the lightweight GOAT

it's about MMA

This is why the rest of the world has problems with you.

Back