Karate styles ??

Hey guys i done boxing, Kickboxing, Muay thai and even American Kickboxing here and there some styles, I did briefly Karate when i was very young and barely any but feel like venturing again out for more flavour and change scenery and also Karate schools seam to be cheaper then MMA and Muay Thai schools around here. Now i dont plan on being a fighter anynore im way to old but i like to stay fut and always be prepared. Now im trying to join Karate around my area but see there is so many styles and i know of Shotokan and Kyokushin. What are some of the other lines of Karate and what are their specialties , weaknesses, differences. The more style people can tell me about the better. Thanks in advance Karate experts. Looking forward to good conservations

I would first decide if I want touch/light/hard sparring, sort out all the McDojos and then honestly not even do all this research about the different styles and just go and try them out.

The differences in qualification between coaches are much bigger than the ones between the different styles and imo they are more relevant to how much fun you will have.

Goju Ryu doesn't emphasize breathing??

you base it on a clip of sanshin no kata?
Kyokushin have the same kata (although we have two turns in our version. goju got that version too as a alternate version).

So do shidoka. So do uechiryu (although their version is MUCH longer) and a lot of other styles, as it is one of the most common katas of the naha-te lineage. breathing is the same. that one kata does not make a style fixated on breathing.

btw. the point of sanshin is not the breathing, but the muscle tension.

The only style mentioned in this thread that does not have sanshin no kata, is shotokan -since that style do not have much naha-te influence, focusing on influence from shuri and tomari-te.
and even that is debatable, as some claim the first part of he shotokan kata "hangetsu" to be sanshin no kata spliced onto another kata. similar (not quite as audible) breathing,

Last edited:
you base it on a clip of sanshin no kata?
Kyokushin have the same kata (although we have two turns in our version. goju got that version too as a alternate version).

So do shidoka. So do uechiryu (although their version is MUCH longer) and a lot of other styles, as it is one of the most common katas of the naha-te lineage. breathing is the same. that one kata does not make a style fixated on breathing.

btw. the point of sanshin is not the breathing, but the muscle tension.

The only style mentioned in this thread that does not have sanshin no kata, is shotokan -since that style do not have much naha-te influence, focusing on influence from shuri and tomari-te.
and even that is debatable, as some claim the first part of he shotokan kata "hangetsu" to be sanshin no kata spliced onto another kata. similar (not quite as audible) breathing,

"Major emphasis is given to breathing correctly"
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gōjū-ryū

well, sorry. BS.

Your arts founder trained in Goju Ryu and Shotokan and then mixed in his own style. That does not mean that you know how Goju Ryu curriculum looks like, just because you have some influences of it. The kata I linked was just one line of evidence in support of the breathing emphasis.

Last edited:
Your arts founder trained in Goju Ryu and Shotokan and then mixed in his own style. That does not mean that you know how Goju Ryu curriculum looks like, just because you have some influences of it. The kata I linked was just one line of evidence in support of the breathing emphasis.

You are right that my styles lineage to goju does not mean that I know how goju is practiced. But I have trained with many goju guys, and guest trained in several goju dojos (unlike shotokan, which I have trained formally), and that is where I take my opinions. Not wiki pages.

Last edited:
You are right that my styles lineage to goju does not mean that I know how goju is practiced. But I have trained with many goju guys, and that is where I take my opinions. Not wiki pages.

Whenever I see that kata I'm always reminded of the Japanese movie star Sonny Chiba who used it in some of his movies. He is a Kyokushin black belt. My father is Shihan in Shotokan (JKA originally) Karate, so that kata always looks funky to me compared to what he does.

Last edited:
I was surprised how closely connected the Karate styles are. A Swedish Kyokushin black belt who trained in Japan and introduced full contact Karate to Sweden, and is now a boxing instructor/trainer, was chocked to learn that I am the son of a certain Shotokan instructor and European gold medalist.

How could he know who my father is if he did Kyokushin Karate?

It depends whether its okinawan or japanese goju because the latter is alot like shotokan. Uechy ryu is okinawan style and they are basically alot like KK in terms of the conditioning, except they dont do alot of high kicks. Visit the schools and ask if they spar(if you are into that.) If you want something more intense go to kyokushin or shidokan(kyokushin offshoot.) Shotokan is good aswell and alot can be had from point sparring or light sparring in terms of footwork and timing.

I have asked about the Okinawan/Japanese distinction as it relates to Goju Ryu training, and the Goju people tell me it's false. There is no real distinction. Goju i Goju.

I have asked about the Okinawan/Japanese distinction as it relates to Goju Ryu training, and the Goju people tell me it's false. There is no real distinction. Goju i Goju.
I read an interview with an old goju guy and he said people don't use cat stance anymore or fight on the inside. Japanese Goju is alot like shotokan at this point because they fight on the outside. It wasnt allways that way.

Last edited:
I read an interview with an old goju guy and he said people don't use cat stance anymore or fight on the inside. Japanese Goju is alot like shotokan at this point because they fight on the outside. It wasnt allways that way.

The people I talked to say there is no culture of training that is strictly Japanese vs Okinawan as it relates to Goju Ruy. It's very school dependent, not lineage.

Now i dont plan on being a fighter anynore im way to old but i like to stay fut and always be prepared.

i got Shotokan, Kyokushin, Shidokan, Uechi-ryu to choose from

Looking at your opening post and the reason you want to train Karate and looking at what you have available to you I'd say your first preference should be Shotokan Karate, preferably IKF if available. If Shotokan is a no go then I'd think your next choice should be Uechi Ryu and lastly Kyokushin. Shidokan may be even less to your liking than Kyokushin. Both are heavily combat sport oriented but Shidokan is essentially competitive Kyokushin with the addition of muay Thai or Kickboxing and (depending on the school) submission grappling as well. If you can find a Kyokushin school that places an equal amount of focus on basics, self defense and kata as much as they do sparring then that school may warrant attention for first choice instead of Shotokan.

The best advice that I or anyone else can truly give is to visit each school, observe a class and try a class or two with each if at all possible. Also keep in mind that most people look at style, price and location when considering a place to train but I also like to remind people that, for me at least, it depends on THE INSTRUCTOR! The instructor can literally make or break or your training experience and how much you get out of your training. I'd rather train under an instructor who is an awesome teacher in a style that is not my first choice than to train in my style of choice under a shitty instructor.

Looking at your opening post and the reason you want to train Karate and looking at what you have available to you I'd say your first preference should be Shotokan Karate, preferably IKF if available. If Shotokan is a no go then I'd think your next choice should be Uechi Ryu and lastly Kyokushin. Shidokan may be even less to your liking than Kyokushin. Both are heavily combat sport oriented but Shidokan is essentially competitive Kyokushin with the addition of muay Thai or Kickboxing and (depending on the school) submission grappling as well. If you can find a Kyokushin school that places an equal amount of focus on basics, self defense and kata as much as they do sparring then that school may warrant attention for first choice instead of Shotokan.

The best advice that I or anyone else can truly give is to visit each school, observe a class and try a class or two with each if at all possible. Also keep in mind that most people look at style, price and location when considering a place to train but I also like to remind people that, for me at least, it depends on THE INSTRUCTOR! The instructor can literally make or break or your training experience and how much you get out of your training. I'd rather train under an instructor who is an awesome teacher in a style that is not my first choice than to train in my style of choice under a shitty instructor.
Yes thank you for the great advice. I definitely plan on trying all the trial classes they have to offer this is literally to try something new. And i 100 percent agree with instructor advice. Evem sometimes some instructors are good but i just dont click with them. always important for me to click with instructor. Also this might come off slightly arrogant but i like an instructor that i look up to or else i doubt lots of stuff he tells me. And it has happened where i didnt think highly enough of some instructors enough to train under them in the long haul. thanks

Yes thank you for the great advice. I definitely plan on trying all the trial classes they have to offer this is literally to try something new. And i 100 percent agree with instructor advice. Evem sometimes some instructors are good but i just dont click with them. always important for me to click with instructor. Also this might come off slightly arrogant but i like an instructor that i look up to or else i doubt lots of stuff he tells me. And it has happened where i didnt think highly enough of some instructors enough to train under them in the long haul. thanks

Just go for best the instructor man and the class... I remember a kyokushin dojo I used to train at when I was 12 is completely diff to the shinkyokushin dojo I train at nowadays...

Back