Karate Kid: Part III

FierceRedBelt

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Glancing through an article on the Karate Kid: Part II, I found this somewhat interesting quote:

So that was Robert Kamen’s initial idea? There weren’t any other ideas floated around about continuing the story in Los Angeles?

No. And after Karate 2, I wanted to use a scene from the movie to launch Karate 3. … Miyagi says his ancestor was a fisherman and one day he was out fishing and there was too much sun, too much saké, and he woke up on a beach in China. He came back 10 years later with a Chinese wife and the secret to Miyagi karate. I wanted to time-travel back hundreds of years [in Part III] to see what happened when he got off his boat on the beach in China and have Daniel and Mr. Miyagi peer through the foliage. Pat [Morita] would play the original Mr. Miyagi, and we’d have Kreese (Martin Kove) be a pirate or whatever. And we had the Chinese government’s blessing because there was nothing political about the movie. Coca-Cola owned Columbia Pictures at the time and they were all for it because they could sell a lot of Coke there. No Americans had shot anything in China. China, visually, is unique in the world so I thought it would make for a great sequel, but unfortunately the producer didn’t agree and we did the third one, which is just a bad remake of the first one.
http://www.laweekly.com/arts/how-a-...ndo-valley-made-us-all-the-karate-kid-4790700

Further reading:
How would you have done that with Japanese Karate and Mr. Miyagi?

Well, he wasn’t Japanese. He was Okinawan and originally Okinawan Karate came from China. And it came from China by Okinawan fisherman going there and by Chinese traders coming to Okinawa to work. The real Mr. Miyagi, Chojun Miyagi, founder of my style of Karate was from Chinese ancestry. My weapons teacher in Okinawa was of Chinese ancestry and a lot of Okinawan people are very proud that they come from Chinese people and especially the martial arts community. A lot of the guys who were founders of martial arts styles in Okinawa, it came from Chinese martial arts and they just adapted it. So it was very easy to reverse it. As Mr. Miyagi tells Daniel in the first movie, he said the first Miyagi was a fisherman, he got drunk and he fell asleep and his boat drifted to China and he spent 10 years there and learned Karate. When he came back, he knew Karate. I was going to tell the saga in reverse. Daniel and Mr. Miyagi are in a boat. It all happens when Daniel gets hit on the head and he has a dream. He’s in a coma or something and they see a boat in the mist. It docks and Mr. Miyagi and Daniel follow the first Miyagi ancestor into China and then they get involved in this thing. It would’ve been really cool but nobody wanted to do it.
http://moviehole.net/201258425what-was-the-original-plot-of-the-karate-kid-part-iii

Karate is a combination of indigenous okinawan martial arts and chinese kung fu.

Something like Ip Man as the great-grandfather of Miyagi could have been decent.

Pound sand on
Pound sand off

Something like Ip Man as the great-grandfather of Miyagi could have been decent.

I think you could of done quite a bit with it. He had to go to China and deal with culture shock, meet a woman, learn martial arts and then return back home.

GOAT
DIFsOAYXoAE-pvn.jpg

I remember reading about this a little while back.

Part of me says it could've been cool. Another part of me says Turtles in Time was by far the worst of the TMNT movies.

If they were going to actually do it though, they should go all out insanity and forget the "dream" idea. Instead have Daniel meet a new girl who is a scientist and have her build an actual time machine.

In any case, the good news about them making the KKIII that they actually made is that without it we would've never gotten Terry Silver or Karate's Bad Boy Mike Barnes, two of the greatest villains to ever grace the silver screen.

Part of me says it could've been cool. Another part of me says Turtles in Time was by far the worst of the TMNT movies.

If they were going to actually do it though, they should go all out insanity and forget the "dream" idea. Instead have Daniel meet a new girl who is a scientist and have her build an actual time machine.

In any case, the good news about them making the KKIII that they actually made is that without it we would've never gotten Terry Silver or Karate's Bad Boy Mike Barnes, two of the greatest villains to ever grace the silver screen.

Although they were obviously discussing a mechanism to introduce the story I really don't think they need a dream or time machine. They could of just easily made it a prequel that was narrated by Miyagi. Working Macchio in might of been tricky but doable. No character crossover from the past to future but you can still use the actors.

Although they were obviously discussing a mechanism to introduce the story I really don't think they need a dream or time machine. They could of just easily made it a prequel that was narrated by Miyagi. Working Macchio in might of been tricky but doable. No character crossover from the past to future but you can still use the actors.

In all seriousness, maybe we should build a time machine of our own and travel back to 1987 and convince them to go ahead and make this movie.

In all seriousness, maybe we should build a time machine of our own and travel back to 1987 and convince them to go ahead and make this movie.

I'm not much of a theoretical physicist but if you can handle solving that I'll design the fuck out of your platform.

Have you seen The Time Machine? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0268695/
That movie started really strong.

Yeah, I saw it in the theater way back when it first came out.

I thought it was okay. Not terrible, but certainly not great as well. Pretty average at the end of the day, I guess. I have never felt the desire to revisit it.

It seemed to me that Guy Pearce was getting a big push around this time, with movies like LA Confidential, Ravenous, Memento and The Count of Monte Cristo, but the critical and financial failure of The Time Machine put the brakes on that.

Silver, and to a lesser extent Barnes, are the only things worth watching in the movie.

They could have easily done this as a Godfather II type story, with current Miyagi and original Miyagi having two separate narratives interwoven into one movie.

You can even tie the stories together at the end with Terry Silver being the relative of original miyagi's rivals or some shit. They could've made it work while still keeping Mike Barnes and Terry Silver.

Fun fact: Daniel Laruso is OLDER than Terry Silver! :eek:

I'm sorry, but despite the origins of the Okinawan who invented "Karate," it is still a fact that "Karate" originated in Okinawa and not China. It makes no sense that an Okinawan would travel to China to learn something that originated in Okinawa (unless Miyagi is claiming his ancestor is the one who studied in China and ultimately created Karate from his teachings in China).

That said, I didn't think Karate Kid III was so bad (except for the fact that Miyagi was inexplicably a pacifist all the sudden).

Last edited:
Back