Karate in Glory?

DanMMAleague

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Are there any/many karate guys in glory these days.

I remember there used to be lots in the K-1 heavyweight division back in the day but I haven't followed recently.

I am aware of Raymond Daniels but any others?

According to his bio on Glory's web site interim featherweight champion Kevin VanNostrand is "a 3rd degree Kenpo Karate black belt under Shihan Jim Andrello.". His step-up knee to the liver knockout of Anvar Boynazarov was a thing of beauty and the best body shot KO of 2017 in any combat sport in my opinion. He's fighting RvR later this month to unify the title.

Davit Kiria is one but he's not very active in Glory nowadays:

Gabriel Varga
He's busy losing in Bellator now, but I suspect TS just thinks Glory is the new K-1 so I'm sure he'd be open to fighters from other orgs.

TS go watch the new K-1 it's full of Japanese people with Karate backgrounds...

That was what I thought.

How do they differ?
The Kickboxing landscape is much more spread out than it used to be. Glory has the better guys in the heavier divisions which are thinned out but theirs also more weight classes than when K-1 was big. Now K-1 focuses on lighter weight classes and is more regional but still delivers awesome fights.

https://www.youtube.com/user/k1WorldLeague

Also check out Knockout:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdKXH8g9PqVo_22zPjSWWFg

Last edited:
According to his bio on Glory's web site interim featherweight champion Kevin VanNostrand is "a 3rd degree Kenpo Karate black belt under Shihan Jim Andrello.". His step-up knee to the liver knockout of Anvar Boynazarov was a thing of beauty and the best body shot KO of 2017 in any combat sport in my opinion. He's fighting RvR later this month to unify the title.

good pick, Kevin is such a fun fighter to watch, i hope he beat Robin.

Think he's got a bit higher chance than the 0.01% of whatever RvR gave him but I have a really hard time seeing him win. Shouldn't be in a position to fight anyone like RvR yet.

Artem Vakhitov has a background in some form of karate iirc.

i saw that fight, I think anvar is a much better fighter and that kevin got lucky. I also thought anvar got lucky KO pinca, but after watching anvar quite a bit, im a fan, he is good, high skill level, dudes a straight up mongol warrior.

Gabriel Varga

He's busy losing in Bellator now, but I suspect TS just thinks Glory is the new K-1 so I'm sure he'd be open to fighters from other orgs.

TS go watch the new K-1 it's full of Japanese people with Karate backgrounds...

you guys beat me to it, I was very impressed with gabriel varga, the last fight i remember he had was against roosmalen. I just searched up varga the other day to see what he was up to and if he is still fighting........so he transitioned over to Bellator MMA or kickboxing? any recent fights?

...so he transitioned over to Bellator MMA or kickboxing? any recent fights?
The Kickboxing part of the promotion.

I think the idea was to bring him in to challenge Kevin Ross for the title, but he lost his debut fight and then Ross ended up losing too so that went to shit.

The Kickboxing part of the promotion.

I think the idea was to bring him in to challenge Kevin Ross for the title, but he lost his debut fight and then Ross ended up losing too so that went to shit.

him vs ross would be an awesome fight, i would go with varga on it. I think he is a very good fighter. I think he could have beaten roosmalen as well if it wasnt for the whole mouth peice thing.

Back