Karate Combat

Caged Kyokushin would be a cool concept. Hopefully someone will try it out. I love Kyokushin and Muay thai. I find them very compatible so I never understood the whole one or the other nonsense.

One of my mates fought Kyokushin in a cage, it's been done before.

are you guys saying shin for short for kyokushin? or is there another type of karate called shin or something? I am confused.......we all know I like kyokushin though

There's kyokushin and shinkyoushin if that's what you meant lol. I think if you fight under kyokushin organisation though you will be allowed to compete in organisations outside of kyokushin such as Karate Combat but if you're competing under the shinkyokushin organisation, it's disallowed... kyokushin's still got its corruption here and there lol. my sensei's brother represents australia for shotokan, is the youth coach and also competes in Karate Combat too, representing Aus too so watched it briefly. pre cool stuff!

I think the best way to change the publics general concept of karate would be to start promoting kyokushin fights, but allow punches to the head. Or maybe have Kudo fights, with no headgear.

Kyokushin fights are a lot nicer to watch than Karate Combat or WKF. Personally I prefer to watch JKA competitions. Kyokushin is great but I don't think it should represent the general perception of Karate in the public because it's one small aspect of Karate competition.

Or maybe have Kudo fights, with no headgear.
Kudo needs to do something about those spaceman helmets.

No - you can't take my kudo headgear away from me!!!

I'd rather not look like I've been smashed on daily basis - people might think I'm into hardcore S&M.

But yeah the Japanese didn't take too well what Buakaw did to their star Masato, that's for sure :)

He did get a favourable decision the first time for sure. But he definitely won the rematch quite clearly imo.

He did get a favourable decision the first time for sure. But he definitely won the rematch quite clearly imo.

A favorable decision? You mean for the extra round?

Thanks Tayski. I didn't know about that. Are they a regular event?

Not that I'm aware of. I only heard about it once because I knew someone who fought in there, but I think it was a one off for him.

are you guys saying shin for short for kyokushin? or is there another type of karate called shin or something? I am confused.......we all know I like kyokushin though

"shin" means new in Japanese. Hence why there's even an organisation called ShinKyokushin (ew Kyokushin). So in this case Shin Karate just stands for "new Karate" and people know it refers to Kyokushin with head punches (sometimes mitts similar to MMA gloves, sometimes boxing gloves).

Some footage of it:

"shin" means new in Japanese. Hence why there's even an organisation called ShinKyokushin (ew Kyokushin). So in this case Shin Karate just stands for "new Karate" and people know it refers to Kyokushin with head punches (sometimes mitts similar to MMA gloves, sometimes boxing gloves).

Some footage of it:

so they took shins advice and created shin karate! awesome lol.

its just funny because the karate I always talk about wanting to see is called shin. it is new?

I think MMA / the UFC has already absorbed the potential audience for all striking-based combat sports other than boxing, at least in the US. Unfortunately we don’t have much of a palate for foreign shit that we’re not used to, in general. That’s why Muay Thai isn’t more popular here

Anybody watching the fights live right now? Danny Trejo is announcing and it's pretty funny hearing him mispronounce these names.

Last edited:
Anybody watching the fights live right now? Danny Trejo is announcing and it's pretty funny hearing him mispronounce these names.

watching now and I don’t hear Danny Trejo any where...

Ahh he was on the screen at the beginning of round 2

Personally I think they could loosen up some of the clinch and restrictions on several techniques.

They call it karate combat but cut out several techniques found in karate.

They call it karate combat but cut out several techniques found in karate.
No elbows, no knees (and specifically no flying knees). No throwing over the head.
Its very clear that it is modified point karate, with no influence from european or asian full contact karate practitioners Any full contact influence is from american full contact, which is NOT the same as full contact karate in the rest of the world.

No elbows, no knees (and specifically no flying knees). No throwing over the head.
Its very clear that it is modified point karate, with no influence from european or asian full contact karate practitioners Any full contact influence is from american full contact, which is NOT the same as full contact karate in the rest of the world.
no 'close hooks' no upper cuts, no leg kicks above the knee.

it's a good start to pushing karate back to where it needs to go, but it still has a way to go. i think the ruleset is also to help keep it visually clearly different from MMA, MT, and TKD, but karate as the karate culture guys have pointed out, is a fairly complete style so if you allowed all 'safe' techniques it would resemble MMA with limited ground work, or would resemble MT with some grappling.

Shin Karate [or New Karate] is the name of the format. Its open to all Karate styles [much like Karate Combat is] it was originally known as K-2 since it was a feeder system for K-1 to give Karate fighters a chance to fight and gain experience under K-1 rules before jumping into K-1. Hence why you saw Nicolas Pettas in that video [along with Glaube Feitosa in a traditional Knockdown rules match] When K-1 collapsed it rebranded itself to Shin Karate [or New Karate since Shin means New or True in Japanese] and still holds events.

Here's the link to their site .
http://www.shinkarate.net/

and Youtube page
https://www.youtube.com/user/shinkaratek2k3k4

Not quite true.
Shinkarate had a deal with old k-1 to use the name k-2 etc, but they are not related as organization.
They always called themselves shinkarate and are actually older than k-1 shinkarate was founded 1985, k-1 was founded 1993. Back then there was no connection between the two. The cooperation didnt start until early 2k.
Their rule system are still called K2,K3,K4 and K5 (basically, K2 is full rules, the following rule-systems adding progressively more protection, rookies -k3, youth-k4 and toddlers in marshmallow suits -k5). It was strictly amateur, and the pro fighters was sent into kickboxing -which for years meant k-1 due to the deal they had. Masaaki Noiri was one.
I dont know how they do currently, if they still are strictly amateur, sending their pro level fighters to other kickboxing organizations . I see that they have started a k-2 GP.

I assume they still have some kind of deal with the japanese k-1 (there is still such a thing, although it is not comparable with the old one). Shinkarate DID briefly rename their rulesystems from k2-5 to Q2-5. But it was only temporary.

Several of the top japanese names from the last years of K-1 glorydays, came from Shinkarate, and many famous kickboxing gyms in japan are (or was, Im not up to date) connected to them.
There is an official shinkarate style too, but you do not have to train it in order to fight in its tournaments, and your gym does not have to teach it to be a member of the shinkarate organization. Its kind of an optional extra.

The rules in shinkarate are glove karate. Basically it is slightly modified kyokushin rules. with boxinggloves and punches to the head allowed.

Not quite true.
Shinkarate had a deal with old k-1 to use the name k-2 etc, but they are not related as organization.
They always called themselves shinkarate and are actually older than k-1 shinkarate was founded 1985, k-1 was founded 1993. Back then there was no connection between the two. The cooperation didnt start until early 2k.
Their rule system are still called K2,K3,K4 and K5 (basically, K2 is full rules, the following rule-systems adding progressively more protection, rookies -k3, youth-k4 and toddlers in marshmallow suits -k5). It was strictly amateur, and the pro fighters was sent into kickboxing -which for years meant k-1 due to the deal they had. Masaaki Noiri was one.
I dont know how they do currently, if they still are strictly amateur, sending their pro level fighters to other kickboxing organizations . I see that they have started a k-2 GP.

I assume they still have some kind of deal with the japanese k-1 (there is still such a thing, although it is not comparable with the old one). Shinkarate DID briefly rename their rulesystems from k2-5 to Q2-5. But it was only temporary.

Several of the top japanese names from the last years of K-1 glorydays, came from Shinkarate, and many famous kickboxing gyms in japan are (or was, Im not up to date) connected to them.
There is an official shinkarate style too, but you do not have to train it in order to fight in its tournaments, and your gym does not have to teach it to be a member of the shinkarate organization. Its kind of an optional extra.

The rules in shinkarate are glove karate. Basically it is slightly modified kyokushin rules. with boxinggloves and punches to the head allowed.

Thanks for correcting me ShinKyoku.

Back