Kamaru Usman vs. Demian Maia Targeted For UFC Chile Main Event

Who Wins?

• Total voters
I'm not quite sure. Maia is very clearly on his way out.
Maia's big run ending with Jorge Masvidal was less than a year ago. Regardless he is currently #5 and trying to hold onto his place, if Usman beat him he takes it. It's a great bout to shape the division. The biggest fight of Usman's career.

Like both guys so I'm just going to enjoy the fight

wow kamaru really lucked out on this one.

got a higher ranked and a way bigger name and a wayyyyyy easier matchup stylistically.

If Colby can beat Maia up on the ground Usman definitely can.

Colby avoided the ground for dear life till like the last 20 seconds when Maia was having an asthma attack. Even then, he more so stood over Maia and hit him while avoiding the ground.

And I hate to say it, but Colby is a better wrestler than Usman. Usman might be the better fighter, though.

Ratings be damned; is Maia considered a big win at this point?

In 33 fights Maia has only lost to marquardt, Silva, weidman, munoz, Rory, shields, woodley, and Covington.

All champs or top contenders. Beating Maia means something.

That said, Maia is 40 now.

Do they hate Maia? Short notice title fight against Woodley who is one of the worst matchups for him. Then he gets Colby who is a pretty bad matchup, although his striking is pretty bad. Now another short notice fight against someone who is a bad matchup for him.

I'm not quite sure. Maia is very clearly on his way out.

He was very clearly an overworked 39 year old who fought 3 top 5 guys in a six month time span when lots of guys a decade younger than him don't even do that in a year. And those three guys all had the same coaches and thus three camps in a row to improve their plan for Maia.

I think he knows his clock is ticking fast and wants to make as much money as possible. But ballsy yes.

Win or lose, Maia has fought amazing competition and only been finished once.. Most of his losses come from champs like Silva, weidman, and Woodley, or elite contenders like Rory and shields.

He's had a hell of a career, I just wish he had a full camp for this.

Love Maia, but I don't want to watch him spam single leg attempts for another 15 minutes while still another wrestler limp legs out of them.

Hoping Maia has another strategy to get his opponent to the ground. Pull half guard maybe.

Backpack Backpack by RNC

Can’t wait for Maia to lose for the 3rd straight time.

Implement Woodley's takedown defense and there's nothing Maia can do.

Back